Glenn R. Edwards wrote:

> Other issues with thread milling: 1)The thread mill tool will not follow the
> pre-drilled hole as will a tap.  2)Getting the correct pitch diameter from a
> thread mill is a trial and error routine.
I don't think so.  I bought a single-row 1/4" thread mill from
Micro-100.  I wrote a program to create the G-code, and after
trying one pass in air, I drilled a hole and let it run.  It
produced a thread as close as I could tell identical to a tap.
I didn't have a real certified go/no-go gauge, but a threaded
part felt the same in the hole.  I was very impressed.  I had
bought the thing because I had a job coming up that needed an
NSEF thread, and I was worried about getting a tap for that.
Then a sale flier on special taps crossed my desk, and I was
able to get the right tap at a very reasonable price.  So, I've
only done one job where I needed to thread an off-size hole at a
wierd angle.  But, it produces a thread with very predictable
pitch diameter.

Jon