Jon Elson wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 01:21 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
>>... snip
>>

>>>Your last order of servo amps may be included in this batch.
>>>If the power transistors say "FB260" on them, they need the fix.
>>>If they say "31N20D" then they don't.
>>>
>>>Jon
>>

>>My amps have FB260's. Should I put some caps on them?

I have another test.  Try running the system exactly as it is
when the inductors overheat, but with the motor disconnected.
If it still overheats, you can remove C14 and C15 (right near
the power connector).  These are the capacitor part of the
output filter.  Of course, this will allow the servo amp to
radiate EMI, but it will remove part (maybe a major part) of the
circulating alternating current from the inductors.

Let me know what you find, I'm still trying to decide if this is
a major problem in all applications, or only a concern on
spindle drive applications.

Jon