Sebastian, et al,

The good news is, the patch seems to work. The bad news is that at other
than very slow speeds (25-50 IPM) I keep getting following errors. I have
played with the MAX_ACCELERATION and STEPGEN_MAXACCEL (which I suspect does
not apply with Hostmot2), but that seems to have almost no effect.

What does have an effect is the setting of the Servo period in the ini file.
If I set it for 1ms, I get following errors almost no matter how slow I try
to move the axis. If I drop it to 100 microsecs then I can get up to 25 or
so IPM, and at 66 microseconds (the fastest I can set the servo loop on this
board) to about 55 IPM.

Is it possible I am not doing the position feedback properly. This is what I
have for position feedback in my HAL file:

net Xpos-fb hm2_5i20.0.stepgen.00.position-fb => axis.0.motor-pos-fb
net Ypos-fb hm2_5i20.0.stepgen.01.position-fb => axis.1.motor-pos-fb

Alternately, do I have to set a deadband as in a servo configuration? I
tried setting the deadband to 0.002 which should be just larger than one
micro-step for the motor. It did not seem to have any effect either.

Thanks,
Eric

EMC2 2.2.6 included the new hostmot2 device driver, with support for the
Mesa 5i20 and 7i43 boards.  Unfortunately, due to a bug in the driver,
stepgen didn't work on the 5i20 (though it works on the 7i43).  The problem
has been fixed in TRUNK and in the 2.2 branch, but that only helps people
who are compiling from source.

Users who install emc2 via the debian package (.deb) can get stepgen working
on 2.2.6 by following this recipe:

1.  Add "enable_raw" to the load-time config string for the 5i20.

2.  Set hm2_5i20.0.raw.write_address to 0x2900.

3.  Set hm2_5i20.0.raw.write_data to -1.

4.  Set hm2_5i20.0.raw.write_strobe to 1.

When the hm2_5i20.0.write function next runs, the steppers will start
working.