On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 12:42 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> Dave Engvall wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
> > I'm using an GeForce 2 Nvidia card and it smears a bit on some windows.
> > May have to try something else.  Will check for a menu.
> >

> Non-manufacturer video cables are APPALLING crap!  Just 5 wires in one
> overall shield.  I end up making my own video extension cables out of
> RG-178 mini-coax.  A 100' roll isn't all that expensive.  I wish I could
> find good cables pre-made, but I can't trust anything to be good enough.
... snip
> Jon

A couple of video quality issues came to mind when I read this.

Since HDMI is digital, would it be less prone to cable quality
variations? I would think if the cable quality got below a threshold,
you would see dropouts, but otherwise the picture would be perfect, or
as good as it gets.

I remember in the bad old days when I had a regular job in an office,
that monitor picture quality varied quite a bit. The monitor you bought
tended to depended on what you were going to use it for. For drafting,
If you spent a bunch of money, you could get a big monitor that could
place allot of clear (sharp) information all over the screen. So far, I
have only seen inexpensive LCD monitors and they don't seem to be very
good at displaying fine details. In other words, it seems I need to blow
up drawings larger on an LCD than on a CRT, to see the same details. If
I spent buckets of money on an LCD monitor, would CAD drawings look
better or would I just have a better movie experience? What do current
drafters, with big budgets, use?

Kirk