alan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 20:30 -0500, Jim Coleman wrote:
>
>> alan, have you considered replacing the fan?  this seems like the cheapest
>> solution to me :-D  and you could probably find a complete heatsink with fan
>> for your laptop on ebay, people part out laptops alot on there.
>>
> I took it to a local computer store (not PC world) and they tried to get
> a replacement fan with no success.

If it is a CPU fan, just replace the whole heatsink assembly.  They just
clip onto the CPU, and come with the fan packaged as an assembly.  Other
than high-grade commercial systems, the clip-on heatsink fans are awful
junk where the plastic starts to crumble within months.  These should be
around $12 new.  I wouldn't spend even $1 on any of the home-grade stuff
used, it will be already dying.

Power supply and case fans should be pretty standard sizes, look in the
Digi-Key catalog.

Jon