Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> The trick is that with double edged filtering and EPP 1.9, the FPGA controls
> the timing so crosstalk causes no trouble for writes because the signals are
> all quiet when the data is sampled. On reads the parallel port will sample
> the
> data near the edge of /WAIT.  The /WAIT line has interleaved grounds in the
> flat cable, avoiding wait/data crosstalk.

My main problem with lousy cables was that the computer end would see
noise on the WAIT line and close out the IEEE-1284 cycle before the
target board had even issued the rising edge of WAIT.  I have since
started putting terminations on all the communication signals on my
boards, and that has cleaned up some of the crosstalk.  I had to do this
to get it to work with PCI parport cards, which use shorter delays.  I
will have to try some of these things out, and see if it looks different
now (with the terminators).

Jon