On 28 April 2010 17:16, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> Andy Pugh wrote:
>> I just found this application note from Atmel
>> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2592.pdf
>>
> The problem with all of these designs is they have no current loop
> control.  I could be wrong, but I think you really need closed-loop
> current (torque) control for this to work well.

I suspect you are right. For me this is just messing about, the
Arduino-based system is a toy project aimed at getting my eBay bargain
servos spinning without spending 10x the price of each motor on a
drive. (The motors were 3x 400W motors for £50 BiN)
Each motor needs £34 of connectors to even wire it up, if I ever do
the job right.

I don't even have an application for these motors, my CNC machine is
perfectly functional with the NEMA23 steppers.

But, while I am playing around, would a 74HC244 (tristate octal
buffer) be a neater solution than the OR gate in the application note?
It seems to me that I could wire the master PWM to the Output-Enable
pins and the driver signals through the data lines.

The main reason I ask is that I have a whole tube of the buffers going spare.

--
atp