My outdated brush DC motor controller wisdom is that
you have a current loop controlled by a speed loop.
The current loop is set up to cancel out the effect of the R(esistive)
L(inductive) effects of the rotor inductance.
and the speedloop is a staightforward PI loop.
This makes for a very stable and easy tunable motor drive. In fact I have
never set up a pure speed loop (i.e. voltage control) drive in all these
years. I know they have been popular in the US for smaller setups
(fractional horsepower)
So I would say that ultimately also a 3phase drive will have a current loop
to negate the RL factor of the winding. Interesting to see how the lag is
accounted for since the speed is done by the field frequency. Must be by
torque control i.e current control.
Alternatively just jam it with power like in a microstepping setup.

Greetings.

Jan