On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Viesturs L?cis wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:43:21 +0200
> From: "[UTF-8] Viesturs L?cis" <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Servo drive?

>>> Yes, Vdd.
>>
>> On reflection, it might be wise to use a DC/DC convertor for Vdd, so
>> that it has a floating, isolated logic power, that can be safely
>> referenced to PSU gnd.
>>

> And how much would such a convertor cost? I would need to convert
> 330VDC to 12VDC.
>
> Since I have to connect controller's GND to Vss, I could take +12V
> from PC PSU for logic power. But that introduces a risk of burning
> down a PC, if something happens in the chip, so I could sacrifice a PC
> PSU just for +12V supply to the logics of these chips.
>
> Viesturs

Yow! Yow! Yow!

Dont even think about running a line operated drive with a PC power supply

_Everything_ connected to the IRAM module must be isolated with a minimum
test voltage of 3750VAC from low side control and 2500VAC from ground!

I am advising against this unless you are familiar with high voltage high
power circuits, isolation circuits, and guaranteeing that DC-DC converters and
isolators to not fail in such a way as to compromise isolation.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)