On 15.02.12 20:24, Erik Friesen wrote:
> Can anyone give me some pointers on "X server", if 10.04 uses it, or more
> information on how to do what is hinted to here -
> http://rtai.dk/cgi-bin/gratiswiki.pl?Latency_Killer

Pretty much every linux/unix distro uses X11, and so has an "X server".
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_server for more background than you
probably want.

Try a "ps -ef | grep gdm", and you'll probably find that GDM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Display_Manager

is running, rather than xdm.

Rather than attempt the "X server on x86:" "Possible solutions" shown at
your link, I'd be tempted to use another MoBo if the current one were
giving trouble. ;-)

Erik

--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
                                                         - Steven Wright