I disagree.

If you want a killer product for the BeagleBone Black, you need to toss
the EPP port concept entirely and have the BeagleBone Plug into the
Breakout board - similar to a cape.  But make it larger and put 24 volt
DC I/O on it, along with analog I/O, Encoder ins, and step and direction
I/O.   To me that would be an attractive package.   I really dislike
5volt I/O for field I/O.  24 volt DC I/O is much more reliable and is
the current industry standard.  You could have two versions - one for
step and direction and another for Analog servo, but I think I would
design one board.

The only reason anyone ever used the EPP LPT port was because it was
cheap and already part of the PC.

I have no desire to reuse old BOBs and keep it "PC compatible".

Dave