On Sun, 28 Apr 2013, Dave wrote:

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:23:24 -0400
From: Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] [utf-8] Beaglebone LinuxCNC starterkit: ready-to-run
    SD card image

I disagree.

If you want a killer product for the BeagleBone Black, you need to toss the EPP port concept entirely and have the BeagleBone Plug into the Breakout board - similar to a cape. But make it larger and put 24 volt DC I/O on it, along with analog I/O, Encoder ins, and step and direction I/O. To me that would be an attractive package. I really dislike 5volt I/O for field I/O. 24 volt DC I/O is much more reliable and is the current industry standard. You could have two versions - one for step and direction and another for Analog servo, but I think I would design one board.

The only reason anyone ever used the EPP LPT port was because it was cheap and already part of the PC.

I have no desire to reuse old BOBs and keep it "PC compatible".

Dave

We are considering a Beaglebone step/dir daughtercard. It also looks like the PRU and a UARTs could run the sserial host side interface (though at a different baud rate and awkwardly due the the really stupid and ancient UARTS the Sitara uses)

I dont think the case for servo systems is very good without some additional hardware. The BBB has just three possible hardware encoder counters. Software encoder counters could be done by the PRU but they would not be comparable to hardware encoder counters in performance (hardware can do MHz count rates and more importantly multi MHZ oversampling for digital filtering). Also you lose one hardware encoder if you use the on card flash memory and one more if you use video.