--- On Mon, 4/29/13, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:

> > From: Gregg Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com>

> > What about the network port? Don't use the video and
> use network for control.
> > Could you multiplex encoder data to make two work like
> four, albeit at a slower rate?
>

> You could multiplex encoder data using a PRU software
> encoder (If you ran
> out of pins) but this would 1/2 the software data capture
> rate. I dont think
> its possible to mux the hardware encoders.
>
> Encoder capture might also be possible with DMA, I havent
> looked into PRU DMA capabilities yet

I was thinking along the lines of what Sony did with a single DAC in the first
consumer model CD player. They ran it at least 2x as fast as needed to decode
one channel then interleaved the bitstreams. No problem there, but they went
even cheaper and didn't use a buffer and hold to re-sync the left and right
channels, causing one to have a small lag. I guess they figured nobody would
notice, probably didn't, but the "golden ear" types would claim they did once
they knew the hardware details.