IIRC, Monarch threw all the silly stuff out and used AC motors + VFDs for
the late 10EEs.  Supposedly 7.5hp w/ backgear, 10hp w/o.  Im sure a 5+hp ac
system would beat the stuffings out of one of the orig monarch drive
systems.

CNC spindles do need to change speed rapidly for facing using CSS.

Also, inverter drive induction motors can do 3:1+ constant hp range.
Eventually the rotor inductance causes the speed^2 term to catch up but it
can be way out there.  A DC motor is a mechanically commutated AC machine.
There is nothing performance-wise it can do better than an electrically
commutated AC machine.

Stephen