--- On Mon, 4/29/13, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Ward-Leonard arrangement is fairly elaborate in itself,
> but running it from a rotary phase converter is just excessive.

I'd take off the vintage Rube Goldberg (or Heath Robinson for thos on the other
side of the globe) original setup and replace it with a single phase PWM driver
and DC motor.

kbelectronics.net has some with basic controls, just an on/off switch and a
speed control knob with safety that requires the knob to be turned to zero
before it'll start the motor after power has been off. An e-stop setup is up to
the installer.

The KBWT-26 list price is $168.00 (For 1HP motor)
The KBWT-210 list price is $228.00 (For 2HP motor)

Those are bare units, enclosure is up to the installer. They do have ones with
enclosures and displays and more controls, also available in rack mount - all
extra frippery not needed on a lathe.