On Sunday, 27 March 2022 14:31:16 EDT Chris Albertson wrote:
> Forgot to include a link.  You can buy the bare sensor but also you can
> buy them on PCBs with connectors attached and ready to go.
> amazon.com/Measuring-Optocoupler-Interrupter
> <https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Optocoupler-Interrupter-Detection-Ard
> uino%EF%BC%885pcs%EF%BC%89/dp/B08977QFK5/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=c+optical
> +sensor&qid=1648405019&sr=8-17>

I didn't see anything there that was both fast enough and small enough.

I have no clue hor fast, but tearing down a gimpy mouse with get you 2
that are small enough. @ near identical mice would get you 4 and you'd
likely have a spare. Most mice die from broken solder joints where the
finger switch meets the pcb.  And those mice interrupters are micro sized
in comparison. Makiing the optical disk isn't that hard, I've done it
several times. Getting the slot widths correct is the major problem.

> Best to use a thin aluminum plate to make the interrupter disk.

I've used .032 brass sheet, as it can be chemically blackened to
discourge false triggers from the edges of well finished, shiny holes. So
can the alu for that matter but its a flat black, and glossy is actually
blacker. Black however is relative, you'd be far better to make sure its
a flatter than a plate of pee before engraving it, and use an engraving
bit so the edge reflections are well away from the receiver cell.  Far
more effective to reflect the light away than to paint or chemically
blacken it. Purposely dimming the ir led would also help.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis