On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 11:18 PM andrew beck <andrewbeck0...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey guys will this work OK?
>
> I think it's the same as the one from amazon
>
> https://www.trademe.co.nz/3531064367
>

> And I'm thinking I may need two discs.  One above the other so I can use a
> index sensor on the top layer.   Or maybe stick a proxy sensor on it.
>
> Looks like they have a 6mm gap between the slots in the sensor.   Do you
> think a 1mm wide gap gap would be ok maybe in a 2 mm thick sheet?

The link does not work for me.

Ideally the slots and the space between the slots is the same.   But this
only really matters if
1) you intend to double the resolution by looking at leading and trailing
edges.
2) and when the spindle reverses direction there is a small error if the
geometry is asymmetric.  Maybe the error is too small to break a tap, I
don't know.

If the plate is thinck relative to the slot width all that means is the
alignment most be good, with the IR beam exactly 90 degrees to the disk.
The Omron senors, when you look inside use a very thin disk, like brass
shim stock. This minimizes any error caused by misalignment.   The very
high-end sensor use glass disks with vapor deposited aluminum to block the
light.

Don't bother with two disks, because alignment can never be 100% perfect.
 Simply drill a hole for the index or make one slot deeper.

A trick used in automotive sensors is to have one missing slot.  Then
software resets the counter when the expected pulse does not happen  This
saves the cost of the third sensor but that only matters if you build a
million cars.  IR sensors cost only about $1.

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022, 07:35 Chris Albertson, <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Forgot to include a link.  You can buy the bare sensor but also you can
> buy
> > them on PCBs with connectors attached and ready to go.
> > amazon.com/Measuring-Optocoupler-Interrupter
> > <
> >
> https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Optocoupler-Interrupter-Detection-Arduino%EF%BC%885pcs%EF%BC%89/dp/B08977QFK5/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=c+optical+sensor&qid=1648405019&sr=8-17
> > >

> > Best to use a thin aluminum plate to make the interrupter disk.   Make
> the
> > slots 50% duty cycle,    You need three sensors for quadrature with
> >  The above sensor should directly interface to Measa or a parallel port
> or
> > some microcontroler.
> >

> > On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 10:02 AM Chris Albertson <
> > albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > THis goes to 10K RPM?   that is 167 revolutions per second.  400 slots
> > > means 70 KHz signal.
> > >
> > > Can you design an inductive sensor that does 70KHz but is also
> sensitive
> > > enough for near zero RPM?   Optical sensors can work up to 1MHz with no
> > > problem as they don't have any inductanve.    You can buy a "C" space
> > > sensor for a few dollars
> > >
> > > In either case, optical of inductive, you want a 50% "slot" where there
> > is
> > > as much metal left as cut away  Then the "edges" of the square wave are
> > the
> > > same in either direction.     The 50% duty cycle in effect doubles the
> > > sensor resolution.
> > >
> > > Why?  Think about the signal when the direction changes.     You have
> two
> > > sensors in quadrature and lets say one is being blocked and one is not,
> > > think you want the turnaround to take as long for each sensor.

> 10,000

> > quadrature.

> (as a
> you