Hello
Forgive me I'm a first time poster with a long history of lurking here and a some-time fascination with SR/OOO, and thankyou to everyone here for an exciting discussion. I wanted to write something both as a way of thinking it through and asking the contributors about the possibility of separating the political from the ontological.

Tim Morton recently in one of his podcast classes on OOO summarised the development of SR/OOO as a response to correlationism, noting that where the Meillassoux strand of SR admires the correlationist approach and attempts to ground or legitimise the correlate, OOO instead accepts the correlationist limit but extends it to all relations, human and non-human. Perhaps I could borrow from the Heidegger legacy that comes through Harman to this analysis and say that OOO acknowledges the 'as-structure' that characterises being, and radicalises it to be a feature of all relations, rather than just human Dasein. I encounter you *as* something, as you encounter me; the cotton encounters fire *as* something, just as fire encounters cotton.

I therefore understand OOO not as a way to provide an ontology that is independent of epistemology, but as a transformation of the question of "how we know what is in the world" from being 'merely' a methodological problem, to a fundamental feature of being both an "individual" or "object" (such as a human, a toaster, or a quasar) as well as a component in an assemblage or world. Everything is interconnected, albeit while negotiating a fundamental inner rift in which we also encounter ourselves *as* something. Again following Harman and Morton's reading of y Gasset, relations are tropes rather than literal.

In this sense the as-structure that runs through OOO thus seems to me to be very consonant with queer theories. No object is able to engage with other objects except through its own functional colouring, its own perceptual morphology, its own heritage and identity, whatever material or discursive agencies have been made to bear on that history. I understand Morton's take on the uncanny ecology in OOO to mean all objects confront each other suddenly as strangers, that we have no 'natural' categories to rely on, and no normative criteria to which we can appeal - we can't even be certain of the extent to which we are either concrete individuals in our own right or fleeting instances playing the role of components within some larger being - perhaps we are both - both representatives of a form or type, but also withdrawn and thus always capable of being something else, someway else. In this respect it very much means that markers of the normal are awash and abandoned. Perhaps some of the tropes that have characterised the development of SR - horror, the weird, anxiety - resonate with the experiences of abjection that make queer such a powerful resource.

I think it is because this resonance seems so fruitful to me that I am perplexed by some of the claims by proponents of OOO that the political can be separated from claims about the ontological - if we are constrained in our own ways by our as-structures, then right from the outset we encounter the world of human and non-human objects as profoundly political, raising uncanny questions of co-existence whether we are human subjects or neutrinos or cypress-flames. So OOO, far from allowing us to discuss "what exists" in politically neutral spaces, rather radicalises the political questions of ecology and "being-with" into the realm of the non-human, so that all objects are trying to 'work out' how to exist with each other - whether to congregate or flee, embrace or destroy, swap DNA and code sequences, or annex and withdraw. This doesn't prescribe a particular flavour of politics, but it does seem to make the political at least "equiprimordial" with the ontological. I'd love to hear people's responses to these thoughts if you have anything to share.

Thanks,
Joe