On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:07:33 -0400 Conrad Knight <iestynap...@gmail.com> said:

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 3:42 AM Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> > close all your apps and see. i bet you one is holding a lock on screen
> > blanking
> > - most likely your web browser. they now start doing this whenever a
> > browser is playing media (video - but it may not apparently be video.
>
> Ugh, yeah, that was it! I closed Brave and the screen blanking started
> again. And, of course, all those other "restarts" i had tried left the
> browser actually running. And it's not just having the browser open...
> I just re-opened Brave to reply to this email, and blanking is working
> fine. Which is why i hadn't noticed the correlation between having the
> browser open and the blanking stopping before... It must be only when
> certain tabs are (re)loaded.

:) people love to blame e when ti's actually the fault of an app abusing a x
feature too much.

> > this lock is
> > between the browser and xserver.
>
> Hrm... is there anything in X i can do to prevent this lock? I don't
> see anything in Brave's settings.

nope. it's a standard extension (xscreensaver extension). there is a call to
suspend screensaver. rage uses this when in fullscreen mode to suspend blanking
when you have an immersive living-room experience. browsers do this any time if
media is playing now. it's a new-ish phenomenon, but it's a browser thing. you
will have to bring this up with the browser authors and have them provide
options.

> > xset q will show
> > the screensaver/dpms config and you'll probably find its what e set it to...
>
> Yes, i checked this before. The timeout settings are 10, 11, and 12
> seconds after e's, and change when i make changes in e's settings. So
> i knew e was communicating with X correctly about this, and using xset
> to manually blank the screen worked... Well, thanks for clearing up
> the mystery! Now to figure out how to prevent it :)

well .. close your browser. or close tabs. any tab with some kind of media
playback will do it. i don't know if there is also some javascript that can do
this too - i don't know. but in the end the problem is between you and your web
browser to solve. :)

perhaps the only option other than finding a browser setting (it may be in an
advanced about:config setting)... is try make an LD_PRELOAD library that
intercepts the xscreensaver (libXss) library calls and then makes  the suspend
blanking call be a NOP (do nothing). you set up this LD_PRELOAD for launching
your browser thus denying it access to the feature it wants by force. you can
then use this LD_PRELOAD for any misbehaving app...