On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 12:16:56 +0200 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:

> On 01/09/2022 11:29, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> [...]
> > e doesn't have network manage support. the way this is done is the
> > same as e's connman support. e sets up as a connman AGENT. that means
> > when things like passwords are needed connman asks e to ask for a
> > password. also e is allowed to control the connections like wifi
> > on/off, change network etc.
> >
> > it works much the same with networkmanager. e doesnt have any support
> > for it. so use connman if you want this to work, not networkmanager.
>

> When I finally get back to using e (soon, I hope) I will still also have
> other window managers which I need to switch into from time to time, and
> they will need networkmanager.
>
> As I was never able to get connman to actually connect to anything in
> the past (or even to scan and say what is visible) I have avoided it.

no idea why you had issues but connman has worked perfectly for me on very
machine i have... perhaps it's how it's packaged? missing something?

> How do I keep both connman and networkmanager installed, and have them
> execute according to window manager?

you will have to start one up and show the other service down (e.g. systemctl
start/stop etc.)

> eg if I power up, log in using (say) Cinnamon, do some work, then log
> out, switch to e, and log in...how do I configure it to shut down
> networkmanager when I exit Cinnamon, and start connman when I log in e —
> and vice versa?

use a ~/.xnitrc with a custom logon script. something like:

#!/bin/sh
sudo systctl stop networkmanager.service
sudo systemctl start connman.service
exec /usr/local/bin/enlightenment_start

ie - stop networkmanager (use whatever correct name it is for the service) and
start connman - then e runs. if you reboot it'll go back to default (eg
networkmanager)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com