On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 12:51:21 -0700 Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> said:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 05:47:42PM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:45:14 -0700 Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> said:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Whenever firefox stops and starts playing audio (e.g. when a song
> > > changes), my currently focused window loses focus.  As far as I can
> > > tell, nothing gets the focus.  Any idea what's going on?
> > >
> > > I've noticed it before, but since switching to navidrome for music, it
> > > hits me on every song change.  I can't tell if other programs trigger
> > > it (perhaps firefox closes and repoens PA when playback between songs?)
> > >
> > > Running EFL 1.26.2, E 0.25.2.
> >
> > WTH? ... i have never seen this. - well i dont use navidrome - and don't use
> > firefox, but perhaps firefox is literally asking to have its window
> > activated every track change? there are requests in the netwm extensions to
> > ask to be activated. also any x client can actually just set focus.
> > basically is it related to firefox? or any audio at all - if it's audio...
> > it must have something to do with some app/client i imagine and not the
> > actual audio?
>
> It's not unique to navidrome - other sites like youtube do it too.  I
> don't quite understand exactly what conditions trigger it.  In the past,
> I think I've seen it with mpv and rhythbox, but much more rarely.
>
> I'll keep poking and see if I can get more info on exactly when it
> happens.

i don't see how this has to do with audio itself. i suspect it's some extra
action some client(s) (in x terms - some app with a window - that includes
browsers) is doing at the same time a track changes. like i said - requesting
activation or something. perhaps it's specific to firefox? i have not seen
anything like this with chromium... narrowing down that it has to do with a
specific app is a first port of call. then figuring out what that app might be
doing is the next thing.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com