On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 21:37:23 +0000 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:

> On 10/01/2023 19:20, Wido wrote:
> > Hi Carsten! I appreciate that you always take the time to respond to users
>
> He's the best!
>
> >> E has its own cursors that uses the efl/e theme. if you use
> >> something else then "you're mileage may vary". efl's cursors will
> >> scale based on scale factor. there is no good reason to set cursor
> >> size as pointers will follow the same scale factor as everything
> >> else.
>
> This is an unrecognised problem in all interfaces. Pointer size is
> probably the only item that needs to be scalable *independently* of the
> system scale factor, because not all screens offer the same degree of
> clarity for moving objects (cursors) to remain visible.

e has 2 settings. scaling AND a pointer size. pointer size is multiplied by
scale factor. 99% of the time people just want/need to adjust scale factor
and that's it. not change pointer size. not change font size. just one single
setting. 1% of the time - maybe a bit of fiddling is needed but chances are
that if you can't see a cursor due to visual acuity problems you can't make out
other ui elements either and they all need to get bigger. the mouse pointer is
about the size of 2 lines of text by default (given all default sizes). if you
can't make out a pointer then you probably can't read the text either... :)

> That is, text, menus, icons, sliders, widgets, etc *usually* stay where
> they are for long periods, but the mouse pointer is constantly moving.
> This is why most systems can be set to blink the cursor when (eg) Ctrl
> is pressed, because the cursor can become "lost" among the other
> components of the screen.

why not just wiggle the mouse? :) also produces motion.

but yes - a "fund my pointer" feature doesn't exist in e. you don't want to
blink the cursor. you want some kind of "takes a lot of the screen" animation
that steadily zooms from a large thing down to where the pointer is now. not a
"blink the cursor" as that's about as subtle as the "wiggle your mouse" which
needs no special feature to do the same.

> Particularly as you grow older, your visual reactivity declines, so it
> become harder to spot the cursor, whereas you can still easily see the
> more static objects without difficulty. Making *everything* scale just
> to get a big cursor is not a good solution: the cursor needs to be
> scalable independently of everything else.

e's pointer has that. e doesn't have anything to do with x cursor themes...

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com