On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 19:37:37 +0100 daniel antoine <univa...@gmail.com> said:

> Hi
>
> My laptop is an AMD hybrid graphic model and by default the depth is 24
> bits stored in 4 bytes. In archlinux they explain how to set 10 bpc colors,
> 30 bits stored in 4 bytes.
> I have created the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "asdf"
> DefaultDepth 30
> EndSection
>
> After reboot I have the good depth 30 but when I open Terminoly I have just
> a black window without prompt and it's impossible to write in. There is no
> problem with UXterm that shoes a prompt and works normally. I have search
> in the git on efl and enlightenment with the word depth. For efl it seems
> that the depth and bpp are not hardcoded anymore but in enlightenment I
> have found an commit that seems to have the depth defaulted to 24  but I am
> not sure
>
> commit/a99bc68baacb55420be0aed11bab6900150b16b6
>
> Best regards

nothing to do with enlightenment... and all to do with efl (evas) ... and evas
just doesn't support > 8 bits per rgb. at least in the software renderer it has
no converter to 30 bit (internally software rendering in evas all rendered at 8
bit per channel - 32bit argb - always have 8 bits of alpha and so evas would
need to convert this to 10 bits per rgb and that just simply doesn't exist -
so no code to discover a converter and no code to do the conversion).

there isn't a sensible alpha channel solution in 30 bit (10 bit per channel) so
that means then things like transparency in terminology (all efl apps support
it due to to internal 32bit argb as above being standard) can't really work
without major losses (there is some old shaped window support - its not
pretty...).

so yeah... ummm.. "not supported". :|

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com