What is it that allows windows characteristics to be remembered?

I am a long-time user of Evolution for e-mail. It always remembered
characteristics, most importantly the workspace, until version 3.50.x.
When I asked the dev said he knew of no change that would have affected
the failure to remember characteristics (but he was not thinking of E).
Version 3.52.0 just hit with the same problem.

Where should the Evolution devs be looking to fix this?

I am currently running E0.25.4 on X11 and all the programs I use the
most behave properly...

Thanks,
Roy