On Nov 8, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Jeremy Ashkenas wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>   for own (i in o) {
>     body
>   }
>
> This is a small thing but it might pay off in the long run.
>
> This is a very useful feature ... but for better or for worse, also shows off
> how much paren-free would help things. "for own key in object {" reads well,
> whereas "for own (key in object) {" reads strangely, because the adjective
> "own" naturally belongs next to it's nown "key", without an interloping
> lparen.

You'll be glad to know I'm still working on paren-free. You will be unsurprised
to hear it needs even more newline significance to overcome some issues
Waldemar Horwat pointed out.

I give paren-free very long odds for ES.next. Better to design and prototype
it, get it in as an opt-in for Narcissus, SpiderMonkey and other
implementations to enable user-testing.

Good news for ES.next remains: array comprehensions and generator expressions
use *only* paren-free for/of syntax.