>> I see two domains for the concept of “own” properties:
>> 1. Meta-programming.
>> 2. Using objects as dictionaries.
>
> Thanks, good to focus on use-cases. Both would like shorthand and freedom
> from Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty tamper-proofing.
>
>> Isn’t #2 the majority (at least as far as non-library-programmers are
>> concerned)? Will the concept become less relevant once we have David
>> Herman’s dicts?
>
> We don't know how dicts will fare. Making progress with for own does not
> interact badly with dicts if we spec them to be for-in'able -- for own (k in
> d) for d a dict should work, just as for objects.

Ah, shame. I had hoped that a good dictionary implementation would largely make
the notion of own properties obsolete (except for #1 use cases). Bringing
inheritance into the collection mix seems problematic. That’s why I like
Allen’s “data-only-[]” proposal.

I agree with “not interact badly” if there are indeed other use cases.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
a...@rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de