> I am curious as to whether all this hand waving about
> CO2 flows may be more about exorcising the ghost of
> Percival Lowell rather than describing what actually
> is found on Mars.

Sounds less like curiousity and more like trolling to me, but I'm pretty
inflammatory myself.

[He gobbles the flamebait.]

>From what I can tell, Hoffman is just a scientist who saw, dimly, something
going on in another science that rung a bell in his mind, and worked toward
an interesting hypothesis.  I'm sorry if you think that people who help
dredge fossil fuels out of the ground can't know much about either fossils
or the ground, but I'm inclined to think that they know more than most of
us.

In any case, the ghost of Lowell could still use some exorcism.  Arthur C.
Clarke, less than a year ago, said over the wire at some conference that he
was sure he saw something in recent surface images, evidence of life gosh
darn it.  Clarke's a very intelligent and imaginative guy, and a good
writer.  But please.  From distances of even a few inches, some things that
look like they are biological are actually mineral, and some things that
look mineral in origin are actually biological.  Do we really need a
superannuated former RAF radar tech telling us what extraterrestrial life
does or doesn't look like, from much greater distances?

Belief that there's life on Mars is currently faith-based.  Belief that
there isn't is equally faith-based.  Hoffman appears to be a hopeful
agnostic on this point.  And that stance wins a lot of points with me.

-michael turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2002AGUFM.P51B0354H&;