> On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 08:56:53PM +0900, Michael Turner wrote:
>
> > > Maybe elsewhere, but not on Mars. No sustained presence of liquid CO2
on
> > > planetary surface, sorry.
> >
> > I am deeply touched by your faith (oh, I mean "absence of data"),
Eugene.
> > ;-)
>
> Yeah, and phase diagrams are one of my Ten Commandments.

And exactly what in your Ten Commandments makes Hoffman's hypothesis so
unlikely?

It seems to me you only have to assume that Mars, like the Earth, has
evolved, and partly through collisions.  Events that change atmospheric
composition, temperature, pressure, possible vulcanism.

> Where's all the carbonate, though? Don't see any models incommensurable
with
> a few mbar CO2 atmosphere.

Did you read nothing else on that site?  Lack of carbonates were one of the
things that got Hoffman going in the first place.

  http://www.earthsci.unimelb.edu.au/mars/Paradox_Carb.html

> Oh, it's very brief? Brief enough to create sediments, but lacking
carbonate
> right? Curious and curiouser.

Enlighten us as to why.  You're getting pretty elliptical here, Eugene.
Specifically, I don't know why liquid CO2 flows would cause carbonates to
form.  Presumably, you're the chemist.  (I sure know I'm not.)

> It is a possibility, but it is a very, very distant possibility. Given the
> demostrated presence of water, I'm going with Occam's razor...

Given the much greater evidence of CO2 - i.e., the atmosphere, and one of
the poles -  I don't feel I have to "multiply" any causes without necessity
in order to say: I don't know, and neither do you.

We can now add (trace) evidence of water chemistry to our understanding of
Mars.  How this detracts from any hypothesis about a major shaping role for
CO2 escapes me.  Maybe I missed something in my science education, but that
seems the more scientific attitude.  Nobody has proved to me that CO2 can't
have been liquid and flowing on the surface of Mars.  Nobody has proved to
me that evidence for liquid flows must be for water flows only.  And how one
arrives at an assessment of probability here (apart from nose-counting in
the scientific community, a community thirsting for public funds) is also
beyond me.

-michael turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]