  1) Re: Otmar's motor speed sensor - where to buy?
        by Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Knee Point - Does anyone understand this?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Question about attaching Curtis 1221c to heatsink
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) 12V East Penn EV31
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: license for electric bike in washington state?? tell me it aint
        by Stefan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: license for electric bike in washington state?? tell me it aint
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: High-Watts/Low-Watts
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Some problems to solve
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Fw: "Who Killed the Electric Car" NEWS  April 2006
 10) How to silence 60 cycle transformer buzz?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Lee's Half-Pack Comparator
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: How to silence 60 cycle transformer buzz?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Question about attaching Curtis 1221c to heatsink
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Some problems to solve
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: High-Watts/Low-Watts
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EVers in Ohio
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: EVers in Ohio
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: High-Watts/Low-Watts
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: 12V East Penn EV31
        by "John Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Questions that should get me going, I hope
        by "Alan Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Baby Blue Rides Again...cross country in an EV!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: High Voltage Nationals
        by "BFRListmail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Cushman in need of conversion
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) Re: Question about attaching Curtis 1221c to heatsink
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Questions that should get me going, I hope
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks!

Ryan Stotts wrote:
Nick wrote:

Does
anyone know how I can order one of these, or if there is another source?

Here:

http://www.evsource.com/tls_speedsensor.php

I believe the knee point is the point in either the motor's RPM, or in
accelerator position (more likely the latter) when the controller starts the
field
weakening.  (Stronger field => more torque; Weaker field => higher speed).

This is a matter of mating the motor and controller.  Such a setting is not
normally something an end-user would change, or need to, unless he were
trying to use a motor that's different from the one the controller were set up
for.  In that case it would require considerable knowledge and testing to set
it, so again something that one would do only with quite a bit of experience
and understanding of motor theory.

A shunt or sep-ex motor can't be used as a series motor.  They are very
different beasts.

Sometimes you can use one >with a series motor controller< by providing
constant voltage to the field, but you have to make sure that the armature is
never powered before the field is energized.  Your top RPM will usually be
lower when you do this, since the field weakening goes away.

Careful, you are tinkering with expensive bits there!

  1. Where can below-mentioned heatsink compound be purchased?

  2. Okay to install Curtis upside down so heatsink is on top?
  (Reason for doing this would be to make it easier to draw air across the
heatsink fins with a fan.)

  Mark

Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Mark Freidberg wrote:
  > Is heatsink compound necessary? I've never used it before, is it an
adhesive or just a thermal transfer agent?

It isn't necessary, but it will work better with it. Neither the controller nor
the heatsink will be all that flat. If you just stick them together, there will
be a small air space between them in all but a few spots. Air is a lousy
conductor of heat; almost anything is better.
Heatsink compound is basically grease with powdered "something" to act as a
filler; typically zinc oxide or gypsum. Using it will greatly
reduce the temperature difference between the heatsink and controller (i.e. it
makes the controller run cooler).

---------------------------------
Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min
with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

Any opinions on these for a 72 volt system ??

Used in the Dynasty EV
 http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=communique&newsid=8442

Roy LeMeur wrote:

Basically there are only three qualifications to be a federally legal electric bike which is a consumer product not subject to license, registration, nor insurance.-

*at or less than 1 horsepower
*operational pedal drive
*no more than 20mph top speed without pedaling

That is it. And don't let any cop tell you otherwise  :^D

Washington State is even more generous.

These links should do ya-

http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/main/rcw.htm

http://www.electric-bikes.com/leglWA.htm

Good Luck!

Ahh, so 1kW = 1HP? Still not used to converting electric power ratings to HP.

Sorry, my bad... I guess the lesson here is to check the power rating and top speed before buying a two or three wheeled e-something in Washington.

I'm sure there are some cops that will give you a hard time until you show that the power level is below 1HP. The registration of a moped *is* pretty minor, just thirty dollars and a VIN and you get a little sticker to slap on the back. Kinda like permitting a boat. No vehicle excise tax, either.

Stefan Peters wrote:
Ahh, so 1kW = 1HP? Still not used to converting electric power ratings to HP.

No.

746 Watts = 1 HP = 550 ft-lbs. per second

You can always Google for unit conversions...

--
-Nick
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV

Ricky Suiter wrote:

55Watt low, 65 watts high.... or 120 watts if you light both filaments at the
same time.

Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  In Pep Boys, the headlight replacement
bulbs say: 65W/55W. Does this mean
that low beams take 55W and high beams take 65W, or does it mean that low
beams take 55W, and high beams draw a combined 120W? Thanks.

Correct info on 55W low, 65W high, but do not try running both filaments at the same time, as you're asking for the bulb to fail in short order. The bulb is not designed to have both filaments on at the same time. You can get away with it for short periods, but anything longer than a 10 or 15 seconds is asking for over-heating and burn-out.

When I had my '78 Porsche 911SC many years ago, I swapped out the stock American market headlamps for the European slant lense aero types. These came with twin H1 bulbs instead of the single dual filament style H4 style 55/65 bulbs. With separate bulbs physically spaced away from each other, one for low beam, one for high beam, you can safely run both low and high beam at the same time...cool. I rewired the factory harness with 10 gauge and relayed-it all up appropriately, then installed 130 watt H1 rally bulbs. I adjusted the lows so that they did not shine in oncoming driver's eyes but still really flooded the front with a blanket of super white light, and adjusted the hi beams to start where the lows faded out down the road. I also installed Cibe' model 35 high speed driving lights with a bow tie projection pattern fitted with 100W H2 bulbs, that were nearly identical in size and shape to the funky factory fog lights I had pulled, and again, had the appropriate heavy duty wiring and relay. Finally, I used a beefed up 140 amp alternator to feed the affair. I had the lights set up so that on high beam, the low beam would stay on which gave 520 watts of lighting power and stunning high beam coverage! If this wasn't enough, I also wired the factory fog lamp switch, so that when pulled to the 'on' position, upon choosing high beam, the driving lights would come on automatically, thus, 720 watts of high beam photon torpedoes!

See Ya.....John Wayland

Thanks roland, that nailed it
  error codes were 1231 1223 1224 1133 and 1122
  clearing those and she start right up. Kinda a good "feature", you can
tell there are codes but still drive. Of course that is what finishing
the wiring would be for.
 I ran the DAQ so I could check stuff, like pot position and amperages
but I don't know the units 00-ff is 255 divisions but anyone know what
they map to? I'll go search the archives.

The default motor volt setting was 429 volts, yike. that should be 170.

On the charger I got the blue light again, it turns out 2 of the dips
switches were half way, i either bumped them or i gotta watch out for
those pot holes ;-)

So, the way I am understanding it, equalizing is a manual process done
by us users, it is not part of the profile?
How often should I do this on a pack of orbitals?

Emeter, well, we shall see. It still didn't reset I will do it manually
since I have changed a parameter and see if that takes care of it. It
meats the criteria they say in their book, so Ther must be more to the
story than they are letting on. Keep in mind, I may have another issue,
it is a link 1000 not a link 10. I don't know if that makes a difference.

PS I think you meant if I was NOT using the MK2s keep 1,2,3 on and maybe
that is even "1 or 2 or 3" ??
I have the manual, but some of it I found confusing.

Why not mount all the regs in a box inside the cabin, like behind the
seat and run wires. It will take individual calibration to compensate
for the voltage drop, or a kelvin connection, but it would work.

Message