  1) Re: Plug-In Hybrid forum this Saturday in PT
        by Joel Hacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: DC Regen
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Plug-In Hybrid forum this Saturday in PT
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Plug-In Hybrid forum this Saturday in PT
        by Joel Hacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) US Electricar weight, was: two on Ebay
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Plug-In Hybrid forum this Saturday in PT
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: [Hybrid] Honda to put Insight powertrain in new Fit/Jazz
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Minimum Power
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Plug-In Hybrid forum this Saturday in PT
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Plug-In Hybrid forum this Saturday in PT
Rich,

I am currently investigating EDrive Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) for
the Prius.  It is suposed to have a spoofing unit this summer
for $10k-$12K.  The downer on this one is that as far as I have
heard, they will only have one certified installed who works
out of Southern California.

However, if you can figure out how to do it like you just
described and I can get a kit out here in Chicago with the
option to purchase my own Hawkers or Lions and integrate them
around a pfc20/pfc30...you've got my attention sir...

Thanks!

Joel

Rich Rudman wrote:

Sorry Rod, But I am Hijacking this thread to the SEVA list and to the Main
EVlist.
Madman

Warning... no time to spell check... phone ringing...

In the last couple of Days like since Sunday... I have had my hands in
Ryan's Pirus pretty deeply.

First I will be up in PT for sure with Ryan... I just did about 250 miles in
it, In a Ride over to Wenatchee and back.  So.. I am getting some hands on
time with the PiPrius.

First the Calcars system, One didn't work as it came back from California...
And actualy ate it self for dinner about last Wensday. The contactors
actaully left the running System totally disconnected from both packs for a
Brief instant.. and things smoked and failed. Ryan got it running again as a
normal Prius after pulling some fuses and resetting suff. Lucky him.

    About that time I was asked if we could try my idea of using a PFC30
charger as a buffer DC/DC converter to pull from the Add a Pack and then
charge the Prius's NiMH pack, Being very carfull to not over voltage the
Spendy NiMH. OK .. that's just what my chargers do very well. They have a
pretty solid and adjustable voltage regulation setting.  We just needed to
find the Right  voltage and current to NOT hurt Mr. Toyota  Nice Idea...
wonder if it works. Sunday I found Ryan and his 100 mpg Prius in my shop...
Lets find out shall we?? OK..er... I hope I don't hurt What I can't fix.
    I dicharged the 20 amphour at 228 volt pack of  B&B AGMs, I got 2700
watt hours on the first pass. And recharged them with a PFC30 to 280 volts.
(14.73 volts) They took power very well, and we did not let them taper below
about 5 amps... they are new and show "Growth" at the end of a charge cycle
by not tapering off fast. They just take it and take it..... I lost
patientece.. and we went to the next step.
    I fed the PFC30 from the PbLa pack.. without any issues... Ok folks
that't the first time I have officially run one of my chargers off of DC,
and Well it all worked. I even manged to open the AC rated breaker on 218
voltd DC.. that makes a Loud POP, with Blue stuff leaking out of the breaker
case... 36 DC feed amp IS more than a 30 amp Beaker can stand for about 5
minutes... abit of excitment.. No damage... Lots'O pucker factor.. This
output was stuffed in my loadbank with our 15kw Windloader. OK.. all works
as planned on the test bench. Now out to the Pirius.  First we dailed in the
best guess voltage the Prius's NiMH pack would want to see as the output
limit on the PFC charger. We picked 242 from watching the CAN buss Scanner
that Ryan has installed on the Prius.
    We ripped oout all the "other" circuits and spoofing controls and
contactors and anything that waws not stock Toyota. All the Calcars stuff
that was in the Prius from the Make  magazine install was taken out. We left
the prototype DeltaQ charger in and the Battery pack of course.  So .. there
is LOTS Of room behind the pack that was stuffed full of circuit boards and
contactors and such.

    And we simply wired the output of the PFC30 to the NiMH pack. and wired
the AC input of the PFC30 to the 218 volt Lead acid add on pack....and
flipped the breaker on the charger.
All fired up, Then we dailed in some amps while watching the volts display
on the Can View that is being piped to the Main Prius display screen.
The volts came up, the SOC came up...  Just as planned... Then we took a
ride....
It was that simple...
Prius Plug in Hybrid... Working... After a LOT of fear and testing.. it
really was that simple.

The tuning part of getting the charge computer to keep the ICE engine off,
that took a little more tweaking. We adjusted the charge voltage down to
about 234, and the current up to max. and it worked better, But the SOC
would drift up too far and the engine would kick on to drop the pack back
down, thinking it had over charged the NiMH, Then we would turn off the
charger, and the SOC would drift dwon until the ICE came on to restore the
pack. Well OK this is what you would exxpect for about 10 minutes of
practice.... We upped the voltage to 237, and used the Accelerator harder
when the SOC drifted up too much, and clearly we needed more Learning time.
This ended at about 10:30 PM Sunday.
Day one.. success... no smoke, and we can really charge the NiMH from the
PbLA... and keep it all under control.

Day two.. I am on the 7:10 am Ferry heading to Steve Lough's place to hook
up with Ryan... and his trusty PFC30 enhanced Prius.  We are going to
Wenatchee, Wa on the other side of the Cascades to give a Ride and PiP Show
for the Chelan county Dept of comerce and the Wenatche PUD, at the Wenatche
Valley college. Cool ....And of course we ..er I needed as much time as
possible tweaking the "Sytem"...
Got there it was snowing like Heck up in Stevens pass.. 4000 Ft mountain
passes... not a real good mile per Gallon number... and while Regening down
the East slopes... Not enough room to store many Kwhr of power... 5 amphrs
of NiMH is NOT a really big storage bank... Hummm new Mode of charger...suck
from NiMH and recharge the PbLa... Need more contactors... But ... not while
under way.
    First thing is to get the Pb recharged.. OK that's what we are going to
us the DeltaQ for, It's installed, and Well it gets to do grid work while
the PFC does the big current chores that it is buildt for.
We can't get more than about 2 amps into the pack..OK we be charged!......or
so we thought...

    We back out into the Windy sunny East slope spring Day, Wow this place
is Stunningly beautifull. Where's the wind farm when you need it? Better
than that.. The Chelan county PUD has 4 Hydro plants , 2 on the main
Columbia River..  the high drop from Lake Chelan to the River... 100 of ft
of drop...And one other that is pretty amazing on the upper end of the lake
serving..Stehikin. And well it's been a heavy snow year.. and they just
can't sell all they can make... in fact they have water going over the tops
of dams.. and the main big feed from the pac NW to California is at
capacity... They have Get this residentail goes for 2.8 Cents a Kwhr, and
comercial is at 1.8 cents. Can  you say a EVers Dream!!  That a half cent
for a mile in my EVs. Drooooool!!!

We found a empty parking lot and started doing laps... mile one... no ICE.
Mile two No ice... had to turn down the volts.. and Maxed out the PFC30s
currrent... Mile 3... charger actually starts to ramp the fans up... Mile 4
the charger is clearly giving us more range... Fans are getting to full
power.... Mile 5.. SNAP!.. opened the 30 amp breaker again... with a 36 amp
draw. Reset breaker... turned PFC down to about %75... As the SOC rises...
we turn the PFC current to 0... as the SOC Fall below about 55% we repower
up the PFC.... Mile 6.... time to go home....or back to the College service
shop.

Got 6.4 miles... the ICE never rotated. The NiMH is fully charged when we
get back.. the charger has spooled down...No errors... Wow we just added
about trippled the total EV only range a Prius has.
Not bad for run #2, and about 24 hours of my time.

We plug in the DeltaQ. It makes bout 800 watts.. OK... but we don't want to
upset the carfull settings on the PFC30. This becomes the first mistake of
the day. We munch donuts and Coke.... Thanks guys!
The DQ gets hot.. we scrounge a fan.. still only 1100 watts. The crowd shows
up for the presentation... the DQ still is taking it's bloddy time.... It
just won't make solid big amps, it gets hot.... and won't drive the lead
over 240 volts... I suspect the "Engineering Unit ONLY"  means it's  set to
the wrong voltage... and there are other issues... Simple fact it can't fill
our pack, and in fact has not added more than about 500 watthours to the
pack since I did the last full power PFC30 backed charge over aday ago at
this point.  The best guess is we traveled about 10 mile on EV only mode on
a single charge to the PbLa pack.. or something like 200 watt hours per
mile..
    Clearly If I had wired the PFC to the lead pack and used the grid, we
would have gotten a full pack in about 90 minutes. Even off of 120VAC at 15
amps. Also.. the Pb pack had no Regs, No amps, No volts no SOC...not meteres
what so ever.. just a pair of DVMs and a lot of poking. NO BMS and no
meters. And they were on there 2 cycle in thier life...  We could have had
much metter insturmentation. but... It worked any way...

So the PFC charge support from Grid to Add a pack works, The PFC from add a
pack to to Hybrid pack works... and Well What can I say??? It can be done
and has been  done.

    Now I need to add contactors to allow for auto switching from Grid to
add on pack, some logic to reprogram the charger's setpoint from one
chemistry to the other... and maybe ports so a custom Can view or rewrite of
the Toyota control can stear the charger... and some fuses and fans.. and
the one PFC series charger can do all 3 modes of power processing.

What I thought was a daunting computer hashing and Spoofing effort has
become a interesting way to make a Stock PFC30 charger make it all happen.
Clearly this kind of Plug In Hybrid system can be used on just about any
Hybrid, with a wildly varying Source pack.. the charger can boost of Buck
DC... You could have a 96 volt pack of floodeds charing a 360 volt pack of
Lions... Or a 360 volt pack of Lions charging a 218 volt pack of NiMH. It
doesn't really matter. Just adjust the target voltage right.. and  you are
off.

Enough for now...I intend to have a Kit of everything you need including
Battery pack and mounting hardware, Cables and relays available for this.
The first effort will use Quality Hawker PbLa Batteries as the addon pack,
and it will be taylored to the Prius... for now.

I am Lusting over a Ford Escape Hybrid.. and the large Back trunk area and
heavy duty SUV springs that can hold a really significant pack. AnyBody want
to hand me a Escape Hybrid??? I got to drive Randy Brooks new one, I am in
Lust.!!! 500 lbs of Lion back there??? Ev all the way to Wenatchee...from
Seattle.  Got room for Skiis and a couple Dozzen PFC cases can be kept out
of the rain on the commute from Portland to Seattle.

Dizzy... Madman
Need sleep... Need to ship those Green boxes......

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have been able to distinguish the 800 Hz whistle and it
is definitely a much lower pitch than that. It's a little
higher then the grind from the typical reverse from a
compact FWD's manual transmission.

I do have a manual and I could fax you the pages of the
schematics that I have.

Rich Rudman wrote:

> We plug in the DeltaQ. It makes bout 800 watts.. OK...

> The DQ gets hot.. we scrounge a fan.. still only 1100 watts.
> The crowd shows up for the presentation... the DQ still is
> taking it's bloddy time.... It just won't make solid big
> amps, it gets hot....

FYI, Rich, the Delta-Q charger is a 1kW unit: quit complaining about
"only" 1100W already! ;^>

1kW @ 240VDC nominal output is 4A max output; it doesn't make "big"
amps.  And, it's a fully sealed unit that in this installation is
mounted sideways such that its heatsinks cannot work as designed, so it
has to rely on the external fans that [were supposed] to be part of the
CalCars install.

> and won't drive the lead over 240 volts... I suspect the
> "Engineering Unit ONLY" means it's  set to the wrong
> voltage... and there are other issues...

Calcars was unsure if they would use a 19 or 20 module srting, so the
charger is programmed with algorithms for both.  If the charger is set
for the wrong algorithm, then clearly it will not charge to the proper
voltage.  If there is any question about the Delta-Q charger, Ryan has
the contact info needed to receive all the technical support he should
need.

> Simple fact it can't fill our pack,

Nonsense.  Unless it is broken it will.

> Also.. the Pb pack had no Regs

The charge algorithm in this charger is specifically designed for
charging a string of AGMs *without* regs.  This, besides that it is only
a 1kW rated unit is why it takes longer than you would like to charge.

You can charge the pack quicker with your PFC30, but you *will* kill the
pack in short order if you do not use regs with it.  CalCars has already
proven this, but you're welcome to repeat the experiment at Ryan's
expense if you wish ;^>

What is the likelihood that a PFC-30 dumping power from
a PBA pack into the Prius' NiMH pack will imbalance the
Prius 5AH pack over time?

Is the NiMH chemistry easy to imbalance, or is it more
stable like a gel cel chemistry?

You can charge the pack quicker with your PFC30, but you *will* kill the
pack in short order if you do not use regs with it.  CalCars has already
proven this, but you're welcome to repeat the experiment at Ryan's
expense if you wish ;^>

Mike,

Tell me what you want to do with TWO trucks with bad batteries ;-)

Anyway - my guess of 5000 lbs is too high, I finally got around to
make a little detour and drive my car onto the scale at the Sunnyvale
garbage drop-off place (SMART center) so guess what?

With yours truely onboard (plus laptop and a few tools) the weight
of my S-10 is 5080 lbs.
Without me and my stuff the weight is about 4880 lbs and since my pack
is about 1850 lbs (26x 110 Ah 12V) the weight without batteries is
3030 lbs.
(This includes a very serious 3-phase inductance under the hood, intended
for the 20 kW charger/inverter.)

So the S-10 on Ebay can never be 6000 lbs or his scale is broken, as the
70 Ah batteries are lighter than mine.

I also weighed the rear axle alone (still with me in the car): 2680 lbs.
To remove my weight and my stuff I probably need to subtract 80 lbs from
the rear and 120 lbs from the front (cabin position more towards the front)
so the curb weight is likely:
4880 lbs total
2280 lbs front
2600 lbs rear

Note that I have an extra battery box >behind< the rear axle, so this
effectively reduces the front weight by a few pounds and add at least
300 lbs to the rear. (4x 71 lbs battery + box + front weight reduction)

In other words: normal US Electricar trucks have almost perfect 50/50
front/rear weight, while mine is slightly heavier in the rear, although
with me onboard (and there is always a driver when its on the road ;-)
the weight is still 47/53 (2400/2680)

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

From: "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: [Hybrid] Honda to put Insight powertrain in new Fit/Jazz
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:41:07 -0500

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/05/honda_fit_hybri.php

Honda Fit Hybrid: Mid-2007, Hybrid CR-V: Late 2006
May 5, 2006 03:14 PM - Michael G. Richard, near Ottawa

Bradley Berman, the editor of HybridCars.com (you can see a video
interview with him at the New York Auto Show), has received
confirmation from an anonymous industry insider that Honda will
produce a hybrid version of the Fit (also known as the Honda Jazz - we
wrote about the possibility of a hybrid version a couple of months
ago). It is scheduled for release in mid-2007.

The insider said:

If you take the measurement from the wheel hub to the wheel hub of the
Fit and the Insight, they are the same to the millimeter. The Fit is
going to get the Insight engine. It's already a proven powertrain. It
will probably get fuel economy in the low to mid-50s.

According to the same source, Honda will probably continue to make the
Insight hybrid even though sales are very slow (less than 100 per
month) for the bragging right of having the most fuel efficient hybrid
(though it's arguable that the Toyota Prius is relatively more
efficient if you consider that it is heavier, roomier, more powerful
and doesn't use as much expensive aluminum to reduce weight).

In the interview, HybridCars.com learned that Honda would also release
a hybrid version of its CR-V mini-SUV [pictured above] in late 2006.
Honda has not publicly confirmed its plans for hybrid versions of the
Fit or CR-V. [...] Even with the Fit's hybrid premium, its price will
beat out the Civic Hybrid by approximately $5,000 and a Prius by
$7,000 or more. The gas-only Fit is powered by a 109-horsepower
1.5-liter, four-cylinder VTEC engine. The hybrid version. according to
the HybridCars.com interview, will utilize a 1.0-liter engine.

Hi Stefan,

My S-10 truck (5080 lbs with me on board) and AC drive
(slightly more efficient than DC but not by much) needs
about 20 kWh for a constant 60 MPH on a flat freeway (101)

So your vehicle that weighs less than 1/2 and drives at 2/3
of the speed should be able to do that continuous with less
than 1/3 of the power, in other words: your first assumption
is very likely to give you what you expect, while the second
should be able to reach the speed, but acceleration may be
unaccepable unless allowing more current. 36V may not be
sufficient, but it also depends on the current.
One way to find out is to build it and improve it from there
like your plan already was.
To avoid buying the wrong controller you can buy the 4 batteries
and first install only 3 (you will need the 4th later anyway)
and use the principle of contactor on/off for a test of max
acceleration and speed.
That should give you the answers if you want a 36V controller
or 48V.

Success,