  1) my own outlet
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Wanted -- LPI (large paddle inductive) charger on-board port & on-board
computer
        by "GM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: my own outlet
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Why no COMMENTS good-or-bad
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Off to the Races
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: my own outlet
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Wanted -- LPI (large paddle inductive) charger on-board port &
on-board comp
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: A123 Systems sponsored KillaCycle
  9) Re: Why no COMMENTS good-or-bad
 10) Re: my own outlet
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Testing Heinemanns
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: emeter kwhr resetting during drive
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: formula???
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) TdS Report #6: Team Profile: The Fledge
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: [Hybrid] Honda to put Insight powertrain in new Fit/Jazz
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Off to the Races
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by "Ted C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: my own outlet
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) TdS Report #7: Photos - Photos:  The Fledge
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Off to the Races - rain
        by John Emde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: emeter kwhr resetting during drive
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Off to the Races - rain
        by "Shawn M. Waggoner \(EVDL\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Zap Xebra (was: Why no COMMENTS good-or-bad)
        by "Glenn Meader" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Welding on WarP 9 Motor Housing
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I get a "mazel tov" - I passed final inspection
on the electrical in my reconstructed bedroom...

so, now I am ready to get on with the world of EVs

Looking for suggestions on this...

... I asked the Electrical Inspector about an outlet
for my car - near the curb...he agreed that I'll
need a zoning waiver to put one in the City Right-of-Way
near the curb....and he agreed that throwing an extension
cord over a tall post would be bad/illegal/trouble.....

He said park in the Driveway.  Well, the Boss parks there...
it's safer for my 3 little bosses...

I had another idea (after I got off the phone...)
What if I made a slot in the sidewalk, buried a
2x2 channel in it, and got/made a cover for the channel,
so pedestrians would not miss a step...
I come home from  work, pick up the cover, drop
my extension cord in....extra work, but much cheaper
than hiring a lawyer for the Zoning Hearing I'll need....
(done charging, just pull the releaase wire :-)

(Other option, keep looking for neighbors that have a
driveway but don't have a car... :-)

Thanks
Seth

Does anyone know what these might be available?

I am looking to buy some Large Paddle Inductive (LPI) charger parts.

I am interested in the "on-board" side LPI parts including the 1) paddle
receptacle port & 2) on-board side of the charger controller.

These parts were used several cars including the mid-year Rav4evs, Chevy
S-10Es and the EV-1s.

Thx,

Steve

Seth,

Remember that the sidwalk is city property too, so they might not be too
keen on you cutting a channel in it.  People do it all the time to install
sprinkler systems, but they cover the slot with concrete.

Something I've thought would work would be to run a piece of 2" PVC under
the sidewalk.  The in-board end (near the house/garage) could just come up
to an elbow.  The end near the curb could end in one of those buried boxes
used for sprinkler systems.  Run an extension cord from the garage through
the PVC and into the box.  The garage end of the cord is on a switched
outlet or is unplugged when not charging the EV.  When you want to charge,
plug the charger into the cord in the box and replace the lid, then turn
the switch on or plug in the garage end.  When not charging, the box looks
like many  other boxes normally found near the curb.

Of course, the Inspector may not like this idea either.  Then again, they
may never notice it.

Ralph

Seth Rothenberg writes:

> I get a "mazel tov" - I passed final inspection
> on the electrical in my reconstructed bedroom...
>
> so, now I am ready to get on with the world of EVs
>
> Looking for suggestions on this...
>
> ... I asked the Electrical Inspector about an outlet
> for my car - near the curb...he agreed that I'll
> need a zoning waiver to put one in the City Right-of-Way
> near the curb....and he agreed that throwing an extension
> cord over a tall post would be bad/illegal/trouble.....
>
> He said park in the Driveway.  Well, the Boss parks there...
> it's safer for my 3 little bosses...
>
> I had another idea (after I got off the phone...)
> What if I made a slot in the sidewalk, buried a
> 2x2 channel in it, and got/made a cover for the channel,
> so pedestrians would not miss a step...
> I come home from  work, pick up the cover, drop
> my extension cord in....extra work, but much cheaper
> than hiring a lawyer for the Zoning Hearing I'll need....
> (done charging, just pull the releaase wire :-)
>
> (Other option, keep looking for neighbors that have a
> driveway but don't have a car... :-)
>
> Thanks
> Seth

On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:46:52 -0700, Steven Lough
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I got to tell ya...   Here we have Post after post on a few new Honda
>Hybrid models which aren't even out yet...
>
>And a POST on a 40 mph, pure BEV,  al be it from a kind of ....well one
>of those companies...  But there REAL.  People are buying them $9999. a
>copy, 4 doors, charger and batteries included.
>
>And yet...   not one comment.  The EV Video from that Salem OR. source
>is worth commenting on all by itself.  Forget the funny 3 wheel XEzebra...
>
>I have NO STOCK or ownership in this...   I just thought this was good
>news, and a Real World BEV that really "made it to Market"  not
>Vapor-ware, or made of "Unobtainium..."

Hmmm, well, let's see.  It looks like that little amoeba that floats
around on the Zoloft commercial with all the styling cues of a
proctoscope.  It performs like a Citicar with the air brakes out. It's
being hawked by Zap, the company that causes reflex cringes and
murmurs of sleazebags whenever the name is mentioned in EV company.

I guess that a lot of us are just hoping it goes away before it makes
the EV community look silly yet again.  "After all, if that's all that
we can produce", so the press goes....
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Sorry, folks, but the Civic/pusher combo will not be going to Joliet. My quick and dirty improvised bodywork is not up to the task, so I will be going by conventional ICE and of course will not have my EV either. I'm seriously bummed, I was seriously looking forward to joining the convoy. Mechanically it's there, but a 45 mile highway test this afternoon revealed too much motion in the rear splice, so I will have to tear that apart and redo it properly, and there just isn't enough time left to do it an get it to Joliet.

The road test went well otherwise, with the 600 watt inverter on the pusher driving my home built charger to trickle charge the batteries. All 12 Volt loads were handled by the pusher as well, but I ended up using about 43 watt hours per mile due to construction, on ramps, off ramps, and the lack of push below the 25 mph cut in speed of the cruise control. Had I had more time at cruise it would have eventually fully recharged the pack. 600 watts is still way too low, so I will get on the 3000 watt belt driven generator solution.

Oh well, I guess I will just join the rest of the crown in Joliet.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme position. (Horace)
When Otmar installed both an AVCON powerpak and a metal SquareD
outlet box (one 14-50 and two 5-20 outlets + breakers), he dig
under the sidewalk, ran a pipe underneath, ran the cable through
the pipe, and then put the dirt back.

Both were mounted on a 4x4 wooden post. The SquareD box had a
combination lock on it to remove fears neighborhood kids might
play with the live outlets and get zapped.

But he did not get approval from the city to do so. He used the
'beg forgiveness' method, after it was already in.

Getting the the wiring and outlet to the curb would not be my
biggest concern. Getting City Inspector's approval would.

What type of outlet are you installing? 14-50, 5-20?

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

Look up the EAA, they may have some.

Mike

From: nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Hybrid] Honda to put Insight powertrain in new Fit/Jazz
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:10:53 +0100

David,

It's interesting that you were getting 39mpg for figures from Honda? I managed nearly 52 on the freeway between Bristol and Reading (about 70 miles) when we had one as a hire car while our Prelude was being serviced.

It's great for us as we're into power kiting and the seats fold right down. And if they are doing it as a hybrid in a few years time does anyone thing they'll be any Plug in hacks???

Regards

Nikki

On May 10, 2006, at 12:13 AM, Dave Davidson wrote:

I hope this is right. I read somewhere that Honda was going to use a larger engine for the Fit hybrid than in the Insight, and that the hybrid is due here around April 2007. The Fit here has a larger engine than in Europe.

The Fit is a larger car than I had imagined. As I recall, it gets about 32 or 33 mpg (city) and 38 or 39 mpg (highway). I would hope the hybrid version would do better than the 50s. It's been a few days since I stopped at Honda to see one. I can fit in it comfortably (6 ft 3 in at 230 lbs).

Although Honda is still making the Insight, dealers here (Baltimore, MD) don't stock it, so a buyer must special order one sight unseen. Don't know how long it would take to get it. No wonder they aren't selling many.

The Fit would also make a fantastic glider. I believe better than the Scion Xb that AC Propulsion was considering.

Dave