  1) Re: Gadget's triumph
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) re: Gadget's Triumph
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Off to the Races - rain, an' Stuff.
        by ROBERT RICE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Plasmaboy racing submitted to digg.com
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: my own outlet
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Deka AGM vs. Sanyo D nicad
        by john bart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Battery Monitors?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: TdS Report #12: Greasecar
  9) High Voltage Nationals - Cancelled
        by John Emde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: my own outlet
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: my own outlet
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Battery Monitors?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: I need advice/ Making a GEM go farther and faster.
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Drill Bits for Plastics, Plexiglas, & Acyrlics
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: my own outlet
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: my own outlet
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: my own outlet
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by "Ted C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Comparison
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) TdS Report #15: Team Profile:  Woodstock and Moritz
A guy in my autocross club put a Corvette engine, tranny, and rear
end into an old Triumph! I think it is a TR6. He recently took fast
time of the day with it. The Corvette motor makes about 400 ft. lbs.
of torque.

--- John Westlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm waiting for Reverend Gadget to post pictures of this car
> with the GT6 body. I wish I knew what kind of range and
> performance it had, so I could get an idea what to expect
> from mine if I were to build a similar setup.
>
> My GT6 has a TR6 transmission and differential. They're far
> sturdier than the stock Spitfire units or GT6 units. The
> convertible Spitfire transmissions weren't built for more
> than 80 horsepower, GT6 transmissions weren't engineered to
> take more than 110 horsepower and even have problems with a
> bone stock GT6 engine of that output... A Triumph TR6
> transmission and differential can repeatedly take over 200
> horsepower and 200 lb-ft according to the Triumph racers
> I've spoken with. It's not an exact bolt in, but it's as
> close as you'll get. Seek out this transmission and
> differntial, as it will be very rewarding to keep a
> transmission in regards to range and acceleration, unless
> you want a twin motor setup. Twin WarP 9"s, Zilla 2k, 25
> Exide Orbitals, and a Toyota truck rear end would be quite
> nice as well...

I will post as soon as I get it painted... but I have
been driving it daily. As for performance, Well let's
just say there are little burnouts in front of my
favorite places and quite a few donuts in my parking
lot. The clutch has stopped slipping, I guess it just
needed to settle in. Ten miles is a comfortable range
right now. (60% DOD)I will be going in for some LRR
tires next week.

I think my range will improve a lot with the new
tires, a toe in adjustment and connection of my regen
generator. It's hard not to take advantage of the
acceleration the car has, but that does hurt the
range. KABC news will be here on Monday to do an
interview. I think I'll show them a burnout too.

                     Gadget

[...]

visit my websites at www.reverendgadget.com, gadgetsworld.org,
leftcoastconversions.com

  Hi EVerybody;

     Looks like the EV Powers are coming together. Just talked to Jim Husted, J
Wayland and Mark Farver, all in the last hour, while doing my E mail at
Warfield Electric's World Headquarters in Frankfort Ill. Where I dropped the
batteries back in the Rabbit and am topping it off. Pulled in last nite to
Frankfort, 8 miles from Joliet, spent the nite at the "Abe Lincoln" Motel,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] a nite.Weather is still shitty, cold and rainy, but it might
improve?
    My trip was delightfulkly unremarkable, the trusty 78 Ford van just
chuffled along fine( Exhaust manifold leak)It looks like a piece of crap, but
runs better than EVer, towing the Rabbit with about half the batteries in the
van, for ballast! You don'tthink of batteries as ballast in veghicles, at least
EV's. Gotta love those old Ford 300ci engines, they just runalong, about 2
grand, happytobe alive. After all, most 78 Ford econoline Vans are tool sheds
or parts storage by now<g>!Never finished up the trailer so I just flat towed
with the home made tow bar.Went to Mansfield OH on 80, 76,71 and other sundry
interstates as I didn't wanna do the damn toll roads withj 4 axles! Gees!v Gas
is high enough WITHOUT the Ohio and Indianna toll Road$$'s Becides the old rt
30, Lincoln Highway, mentioned in several Victrola songs in my record
collection, like RT 66 has a certain histyorical cachet. Except for about 50
miles of two laner, scarry in the rain with 18 wheelers passing you
 at 200 mph, in the rain! The rest is 4 laner, cuts just south of Chicago so
you miss the stop and go wall-to-wall traffic in Chicagoland on the interstates.

     So I chuffled along about 45-50 in the rite lane for MILES and MILES. Left
CT about 9am, slept aboard at the PA Ohio border and ran in to Ill that nite
with an afternoon nap, along the way, it is sleep inducing with the rain on the
tin roof of the Ford.Was  beautiful sunny an' warm, in, say, Scranton PA, rain
started in about Akron Ohio, and EVer since last nitye when I pulled in to
Frankfort, it was FORTY TWO degreez! Feh! So much for spring or summer!

     Now guyz are chiming in from afar on the cell, so we may be rained out,
but we can, at least have a EV dinner or two, and renew hard times or GOOD
times??

     So see ya all later, like 3 pm at Warfield's for the cool shop tour?

     As for tonite? Somewhere at Joliet tonite, motel? Where ya gunna be at?

     Seeya?

      Bob, beginning EV weakend!?
John Emde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Rod et all
The EVent will still be held even if it rains slightly. The track
has excellent equipment to prep the track.
There is NO rain date. We have to make it happen. According to the
weather trackers, they are following some sort of front coming from the
northwest. It seems a truck pulling a trailer with a white car plastered
with decals is causing a disturbance. That coupled with some unknown
motorcycle hauler coming out of the mountains near Denver is causing a
high pressure system to collide with a parallel disturbance beginning in
Utah. A warming trend emanating from Florida is expected to arrive about
the same time that an easterly hot air system approaches. This coupled
with all the wind from the windy city of Chicago should make for a
pleasant day in Joliet. NO rain NO rain Think NO rain.
John
PS : Remember that smell in the air following a spring rain. I smell
something in the air now and it smells like at least TWO new NEDRA
records being broken.

On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:38:51 -0700 (PDT) Rod Hower
writes:
> What happens if it rains on Saturday? will they
> postpone
> till Sunday or cancel?
> Thanks,
> Rod

Well after a decent start, the digg submission seems to have stalled
at 18 diggs. I'd encourage anyone who'd like to help change the view
of a large audience of tech geeks to create a profile on www.digg.com
and digg the story (
http://digg.com/mods/$20k_dragster_blows_away_Vipers_police...Oh_yeah,_it_s_ELECTRIC_(video)
).

-Mike

ps- FYI, digg is a tech news site where user votes, and not an editor,
determine what reaches the front page.

On 5/12/06, Mike Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi John & all,

I just submitted Plasmaboy Racing to digg.com. If (big if) it gets to
the front page you could expect to see a lot of traffic. I caution you
because depending on your service agreement with your provider you
could hit your bandwidth limits.

I think White Zombie's just about the coolest thing on wheels and I
hope that the digg community gets as fired up about it as I do.

-Mike

On 5/11/06, Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I did something similar to this as well, for use before I installed
the whole charging station that Bruce mentioned. I ran a 2" PVC under
the sidewalk with careful use of a water jet so as not to compromise
the support for the sidewalk.

I've seen this done also by hammering the pipe through the earth, then
using water to remove the dirt that was forced into the pipe. This
disturbs the surrounding soil even less.

Of course, when a kid finds the outlet and sticks a fork in it, you
will go to jail.

-Mike

If anything, you might want to look into the IB4200shv cells that were recently
released. battlepack.com carries these cells, and also provide a nice discharge
graph of them at a 70 amp continous drain.  Might be something to consider if
your going this route.

Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  The problems with Nicads like the
Sanyos, is you cannot charge them
with a badboy. They have to be peak detected and thermally detected.
If you don't then they will easily become exothermic. Meaning you
cannot stop them from overheating, venting, and dieing. I've seen it
happen dozens of times.

I rebuild nimh/nicad packs for my customers. Everyone that tried to
charge nicads in cylindrical form factor with anything other than the
right charger, smokes the cells no matter how closely they watch ove r
them, including me.

The only nicad you can treat like a lead acid battery are the flooded
types.

Mike

http://www.isco.com/WebProductFiles/Applications/201/Nicad_vs_LeadAcidBatteries_TechBulletin.pdf

> [...]
> tops, and seem much harder to cook.
>
> I've seen braid used as interconnects. The idea being that solid is
> too rigid and damages the cells during heating/cooling expansion and
> vibration. I've never experienced any issues using solid, and braid
> wicks solder, adding weight and requiring more solder be used, so I'm
> not sure about that idea.
>
> To help monitor health and isolate trouble I'll make a
> microcontroller/display doodad to monitor the voltages of each string
> during charge, and a shunt in each string during discharge to monitor
> current from each string. If voltage on one string is higher during
> charge and current lower on discharge, that string would likely have a
> high resistance cell needing replacement. Then I'd have to pull the
> string and measure each cell with a load. PIA but Sanyos are pretty
> tough so hopefully wouldn't be too often. $100
>
> 400 hours labor.
>
> Performance will be better at 550 lbs lighter.
>
> So that's $10800 + $100 + $100 + $300 + $100 + $500 + $100 = $12000,
> recurring costs every 10 years $10800 + 80 hours to procure and change
> out. And recurring is a non-issue as I expect to be using a new
> battery technology when the time comes.
> Electric costs may be somewhat higher than AGM because of the wasteful
> badboy, but probably not enough to count.
> Cost per mile for Sanyos: $10800 / 20 miles x 2500 cycles = $0.216
> And cost per mile if you figure it's a one time build = $12000 / 20 x
> 2500 cycles = $0.24
>
> Saft flooded nicads I've considered but ruled out due to their low max
> current, higher initial costs, difficulty of obtaining, plus cooling,
> watering, and corrosion complexities, and real world cost per mile
> (2000 cycles at 40% DOD for $12000) being higher than the Sanyos. The
> low current is the real deal killer, as I've read posts here that 250
> A is about the safe long life max for the 100 AH batteries.
>
> BB600 flooded nicads would deliver the current, but PIA (Pain In the
> Ass) factor much higher because of watering (how do you water when you
> can't see the sides), corrosion, plus only the currently unobtainable
> surplus cells are affordable.
>
> So my initial cost is fairly close with AGMs or Sanyos. My cost per
> mile is lower with the Sanyos. Less conversion labor time with the
> Sanyos. The Sanyos + badboy would be a lot more idiot proof (Murphy
> says I screw up the design and my multicharger cooks the first AGM
> pack). Replacement PIA factor is lower with Sanyos even though the
> averaged labor time per mile would be about the same, because it's
> probably a one time build, as better batteries will hopefully be
> available by the time these wear out.
>
> Hmmmm.. despite the obvious tedium and complexity of assembling 2400
> cells, I like the Sanyo idea better. It'll be like a RC model car,
> only bigger and without the remote. :-P
>
> Comments and critique appreciated (like you're crazy!) :)

starting at 1&cent;/min.

Hi John,

Do you still have those NiCad battery monitors available? I lost the link to them.

thanks
damon

From: "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Battery Monitors?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:43:19 +0000

Hi John,

Do you still have those NiCad battery monitors available? I lost the link to them.

thanks
damon

They are specially constructed to minimize rolling resistance. The sidewalls of
the tires do not deform as much as a standard tire making less of a flat spot
where it meets the road and minimizing the energy needed to roll it along the
ground. There are a few LRR options out there, but they are difficult to find
because there are no numbers readily available for all tires.

  http://www.greenseal.org/resources/reports/CGR_tire_rollingresistance.pdf

  I get more speed with them because they are a larger overall diameter.

J Mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  What is it about these Bridgestones that would make such a difference in
both range & speed?

>From: "Lawrence Rhodes"

>CC: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List"
>Subject: I need advice/ Making a GEM go farther and faster. Date: Wed, 10
>May 2006 10:08:47 -0700
>
>It might be possible to shoehorn in 12 US batteries. They make about 5
>different versions of the 6v battery with 5 different weights from 59
>pounds to 70 pounds.. If you put on some B381 Bridgestones that might also
>make a difference. I suspect a very big jump in range with those tires.
>Adapters would be required. Just a couple of thoughts. You would get a
>huge jump with 6v batteries. The 12v batteries weigh around 500 pounds &
>the 6v batteries weigh about 700 pounds and would probably double your
>range. I'm sure you could find a way to fit in more batteries & with the
>combination of LRR tires it would go a bit faster and climb hills better
>which you would need for the added battery weight. Has anyone done this?
>The new GEM 6 passenger usese 9 8v batteries. Lawrence Rhodes.....

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min
with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

Since I see a lot of plexi battery covers; I just wanted to let you
know about this particular drill bit if you didn't already know of it:

http://browntool.com/productselect.asp?ProductID=635

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 05:21:32PM -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
> Mike Ellis wrote:
> > Of course, when a kid finds the outlet and sticks a fork in it, you
> > will go to jail.
>
> Naturally, the outlet would have a GFCI. Basically, nothing happens if
> little Igor sticks a fork in it.

I though that GFCI only tripped on imbalances.

Isn't it true that if you form a path from hot to neutral, then the GFCI won't
trip? Igor would need to stick the fork from hot to ground to trip it right?

> Outdoor AC outlets are *everywhere* around here. Every home, store, and
> garage has them.

I've noticed this too.

Nick Austin wrote:

> Isn't it true that if you form a path from hot to neutral,
> then the GFCI won't trip?

Right...

> Igor would need to stick the
> fork from hot to ground to trip it right?

Nope.  Any breaker will trip if Igor shorts the hot and neutral with a
fork; the GFCI protected outlet will also be rendered dead if Igor
creates a conductive path between hot or neutral and anywhere else that
the ordinary breaker doesn't protect against.

What I am going to do to recharge,
once I have a charger in my truck
(I'll explain that part later) is to install a
NEMA 6-20 duplex outlet with springloaded covers
on the house.
There is alreay a 5-15 duplex, so to avoid drawing attention
to a non-standard outlet, I simply make it look like the ones
already there, only make it capable of delivering almost 3x
as much power (240V 20A iso 120V 15A).
The only difference with the 5-15 outlet will be that one
pin won't go in, because it is turned by 90 deg, but nothing
else will be out of the ordinary.
Yes, I'll make sure it has GFCI on the 240V, so both legs will
switch off when either has a ground current.
Most likely I'll also have this outlet on a timer, so it is
powered only from midnight to 7 AM, with manual override.

My truck will get a cord, like a mouse with a tail - BIG mouse!
and I'll attach the cord to the bed, so it will normally lie in
the bed and it can be pulled out and plugged into the house
when I park in the driveway.

At work I have no available outlets, so I'll need to work with
the guy that does the maintenance to see if I can tap into one
of the yard lights or throw an extension cord off of the roof
(plus a timer to only have it powered from 9-5).

I'll have to pay for anything that is installed, as the company
is in the business of selling products, not electricity.

My charger will accept 85V AC - 200V AC (when the pack is low)
so I'll have a little step-down transformer between the cord
and the charger to make 200V from 240V.
I'll also make a NEMA 5-15 to 6-20 converter, so my cord can
also be plugged into a 110V outlet for opportunity charging.
(And a 10-30/50 and a 14-30/50 in case I encounter those)

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

> Of course, when a kid finds the outlet and sticks a fork in it, you
> will go to jail.

You've been watching too much TV :-)

Naturally, the outlet would have a GFCI. Basically, nothing happens if
little Igor sticks a fork in it. He'd have to go home and stick his fork
in any of the dozens of outlets there that do *not* have a GFCI!

Outdoor AC outlets are *everywhere* around here. Every home, store, and
garage has them.

--- Begin Message --- Sounds good. i'll Email you direct so we can hook up. I would love to compare notes.

TED,
Olympia, WA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sweeney, John P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>