  1) RE: Hooking up zilla to laptop
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Motor to Axle Options
        by David Sharpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: wrapping up the regen discussion
        by DM3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: GM Kills the Volt .......... Vote
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Free Electravan
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EV's on eBay
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: EV's on eBay
        by "Shawn Waggoner, FLEAA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: HOW TO DRIVE AN EV FOR MAXIMUM RANGE.   Re: EVLN(Tofu maker Toya
pulses & glides his hybrid to nenpimania)
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Potboxes
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: wrapping up the regen discussion
 11) Re: Hooking up zilla to laptop
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) CURTIS CONTROLLER SCHEMATIC?   Re: Putting a value on Curtis 1221B 72-120
V / 400 A  controller core
        by robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Free Electravan
 14) Re: CURTIS CONTROLLER SCHEMATIC?
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Fw: Free Electravan
 16) Jacob has Tagged you! :)
        by Jacob Portukalian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) An Electravan Shame story
 18) Re: Zener reg question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Spreading the word, getting it done.
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Spreading the word, getting it done.
        by "Shawn Waggoner, FLEAA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: An Electravan Shame story
        by David Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Spreading the word, getting it done.
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Dennis,
I know a guy in Phoenix that can come over and hook you up.
e-mail me your number off list and I'll pass it on to him to call you.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You could still use your autotrans but make the torque converter "solid" by welding etc. In this way you can still use the gears but not have tc losses. It was done by an AEVA member here in Melbourne Aus but not to a Saab
A camira I believe.
David
On 14/04/2007, at 11:53 AM, pjc wrote:

Dear EV'ers,

I have just under 1-week before attending my first EV club meeting, but I simply can't wait to ask some of my questions. In particular, I have noticed abundant information related to motors, batteries, and controllers, but I am now seeking information related to methods of transfering power from the motor to the vehicle.

For example, I plan to convert my 1988 Saab 900 Turbo this summer, but it is an automatic. I understand that an automatic could be used, but that efficiencies are lost as compared to a direct drive or a manual transmission car.

Are there many vendors that manufacture semi-off-the-shelf gearboxes for the EV folks so that I can dispose of my automatic x-mission?

Best regards,
Pete

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Here is an AC regen unit for sale on ebay: 140107777327

> Subject: wrapping up the regen discussion
> 1) its easier to do regen with AC; but AC motors are very expensive off-the
> shelf, like 3x DC.
> 2) DC shunt type motors can do regen, also reverse, but require a special
> controller for both.
> 3) Curtis does make such a controller, but its only made or only available in
> low-voltage ( i.e.
> golf car market) sizes, typically 48 V max.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I just voted. I'd love to see it made but I am one of the 0.6% who wouldn't actually buy one, not a big fan of GM.

I actually made a personal pledge at the start of the year that I will never buy another gasoline powered vehicle (unless it's going to be converted to electric). I am looking forward to being able to buy a commercial BEV though.. one day.

But it does occur to me that it's not much use unless automakers know about it. It would be neat to have an online pledge set up to this effect - imagine having a list of half a million people around the world who refuse to buy gasoline cars.

-Ian

On 15/04/2007, at 1:56 AM, Ralph Merwin wrote:

Alternatively, vote with your wallet. Don't buy GM products. Tell them that you won't buy from GM until they offer an electric vehicle. Go to the local dealership and ask to test drive an electric vehicle. When the sales-critter says they don't offer any electric vehicles, tell them that
you won't buy GM products until they do.

As long as people buy what the auto manufacturers offer, they have no
incentive to offer anything else...

Ralph

Joseph Lado writes:

It looks like GM, in all its infinite wisdom, has taken the VOLT
Vote down. They did so just as the vote was fast approaching the half million mark. On April 7 I took snap shot of the survey and it stood at just under 450,000 votes tallied of which 446,118 said that GM should build the VOLT and another 445,187 voters said to GM that they would buy the vehicle if it were made. Big, big numbers to say the least, however, I was hoping that the vote would reach the psychological milestone of 500,000. There is just no denying a number like half a million votes. If GM ever says there isn’t enough demand for alternative fuel vehicles remind them that they can use their fingers and their
toes to count. Read on for action.

The psychological symbol of going over a half a million I
think was too great for GM to simply let stand. It could virtually eliminate their ability to deny that there is sufficient demand for ultra fuel efficient vehicles and vehicles that operate on alternative fuels. Their willingness to remove the Volt vote speaks volumes about GM’s commitment to putting into the market place innovations that have the highest possibility of saving us from
the wild price swings of being attached to one source of fuel for our
automobiles. Prices for gasoline in my area as of April 13, 2007 were at approximately $3.00 a gallon. We need to press upon GM and the other automakers that we as consumers want these
greener products.

So here is what we are going to do. What we are going to do
is to talk directly to GM through their Chevrolet Contact Us page. We are going to ask GM to put the Volt vote site back up, of course maintaining the votes already cast. To do this go to the Web address below and put something like
this in the message:

 “I want buy a vehicle
like the Volt that uses clean electricity most of the time, but has the ability to operate continuously through the use of a generator allowing me to go long distances. Please put the Volt Vote site back up so that I can register my
vote.”

http://www.chevrolet.com/contactus/getinformation/

PS. If any of you were able to capture a screen shot of the
Volt Vote after the 7th and before they took it off the website
please show us what the final numbers were. Thank you. JL

DC Motor/trans combo $1000.00  about halfway down the EV Parts for sale page

http://www.austinev.org/evtradinpost/index.php?method=showhtmllist&list=classifiedscategory&rollid=12&fromfromlist=classifiedscategory&fromfrommethod=showhtmllist&clearoff=1

From: "robert mat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Yes, from experience. We discovered this years ago, and called it
"throttle blipping" on Currie ebikes.

> Observation, not physics: When the etruck is up to desired speed, lighten
up on the throttle, watch amps drop ~80%. Because of mass of vehicle, speed
is almost the same, usually to the next stoplight.

i dunno how to frame my response to this 'experience'
"observation, NOT physics" .. so i guess a theoretical discussion
on why this happens won't work since there are usually several
who oppose to anyone who dares propose :-((

nevertheless, 'throtle blipping' seems to work with amps dropping
~80% .. that's a BIG drop ! .. it seems that only ~20% amps are
suffiencient to take care of wind resistance and rolling (bearing
and tyre) resistance .. and the ~20% amps takes care of maintaining
speed till the next red light

looks like it takes 5 times more power to bring an EV upto a particular
speed than to maintain the speed

we are NOT yet talking abot pulse and glide in EV's like the
tofu maker toya kind of nenpimania

idle turning of motor under no load conditions is not talked about
much .. and when suggested there could be many opposers

what is the 'experience' on the ground .. anyone tinker with the
idea of accelerating the car by using a motor with some sort of
clutch/mechanism which disengages and lets the car roll under
momentum .. or with another motor pitching in to maintain the
momentum at low current consumption level ?

i wish i could see a device wher my accelearator foot-paddle
could speed up the car as much as i want .. working in tandem
with another device with max/min speed settings .. when the
speed reached the max (as set by driver) the motor would
cut off .. and when the speed reached the min (as set by the
driver) the motor would start .. with the accelerator deciding
how fast the max speed would be achieved

(repeating .. just a wish .. can it be done ?)

..peekay

Try something like Land Rover's or similar TPS.

It is unlikely you will find single pot 0-5k. Professional
OEM sensors never use single pot for sensing without ability to
detect wire break or short. Usually 2 sensors on one shaft
used and have to agree withing certain margin, or at least
single one used as voltage divider (so resistance doesn't really
matter) programmed to have voltage limits at it's mechanical
limits so that in case of wiring gets broken voltage rails
and controller/inverter detects it.

The software is normally flexible enough to adapt to mechanical
movement and convert linear stroke to say near exponential
response curve - it makes low speed maneuvering much smoother.

Victor

Paul G. wrote:

thanks victor ... I did not KNOW that newer cars already had this incorporated . I have an old ev 1 controller from the original bradley gte and I wanted to drive by wire but did not know where to get the part .
 Date:  4/14/07 7:21:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Willmon)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Dennis,
 I know a guy in Phoenix that can come over and hook you up.
 e-mail me your number off list and I'll pass it on to him to call you.

 Mike,
 Anchorage, Ak.

Thanks Mike my tel # is 6023777583.I do have a working palm pilot buit with
the truck project coming along and to be able to use it on my dragster it would
be handy.I have 10 pictures of Bills bike,my truck motor,kta,s motors and my
s10 would you like me to send them?   Dennis   </HTML>

Anybody have circuit diagram or schematic for the Curtis 1231C controller?
Anybody have a link or URL to an online circuit diagram or schematic for the
Curtis 1231C controller, used in electric vehicles and lift trucks?

Thanks for all replies.

Rob

James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: At 04:09 AM 9/04/07 -0700, Steve wrote:
>I have one of these and put it on the trading post for what I believe is
>the core / trade in value if you want to buy a refurb model.  I want to be
>fair,   So, I see the only value as either parts or a trade in.  If
>I sell it, I want to be sure I'm not being unfair in my price.  I also
>don't want to give it away if it actually does have some value.

G'day Steve, and All

The two 1221's that I've bought I paid US$200 private purchace, and US$165
via Ebay. Another private one that was an informal auction aparently sold
for around US$250.

Supply and demand, though, I already have two to rebuild so wouldn't pay
more than US$100 for another one (unless I find the one that is in transit
has incinerated its' PCB).

Others that missed out on the informal auction may pay over $200, if
they're still interested.

Ask for people who are interested to email you off-list with their offer,
see what eventuates.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

[Technik] James

Revived Battery EV going up Lions Gate Bridge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ymFIVX9VgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45kPks7UYss

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

couldn't find it on craigs list either.  LR.......
> I could not locate the motor/tranny on Evtradingpost.com
>

> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

Some Curtis info including schematic here-
http://cafeelectric.com/curtis/index.html
~~~~~~

Roy LeMeur

Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581
[...]

PM

PM

Title: Jacob has Tagged you! :)

Jacob P, 22
Alhambra, CA
Jacob P has added you as a friend
Is Jacob P your friend?

Please respond or Jacob may think you said no :(
Click here to unsubscribe from Tagged, P.O. Box 193152 San Francisco, CA 94119-3152

Tinkers Workshop tried to move/sell an Electravan that they knew little
about. They are good with tools though.  As interest waned the motor &
transmission were taken out. That's what Tinkers do.  Salvage what is
important dump the rest.  Now in terms of what people spend for a new motor
& motor mount mounted to a transmission you are looking at 2k and a lot of
work.  The body of the Electravan is sound. It has the rear battery box & it
has no noticable rust. That's another bunch of money youi'd have to spend to
put in the rear battery box.   Mine had a few holes from acid splash.   What
also makes these vehicles valuable is the light weight & extreme strength..
The vehicle is also built as an electric vehicle.  If this vehicle had been
left alone & someone noticed what an easy project this would have been I'm
sure some smart Ev'er or Arcaner would have snapped it up.  These are nice
looking vehicles & very practical.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/type/JETI Here are the listings of the JET
company.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/142 Here is an example of an Electravan 750
in good condition.  It's not bad fixed up. Your basic econo truck.  If
you're in the Bay Area & looking to build an EV this Electravan is worth
saving.  You will get good service from this vehicle & save a lot of time &
money vs. converting another non ready vehicle.  It has no power steering
or brakes  so it's a simple conversion & my brakes & steering worked very
well.  This vehicle is worth saving.  It will go to the junk yard soon.  If
you don't want the tranny & motor you can get the glider gratis.  Contact
Tinkers Workshop in Berkeley CA.  Lawrence Rhodes......

www.tinkersworkshop.org

Cor van de Water wrote:
I made a write-up of zener reg testing, just in case...

Excellent!

If this is too much trouble, my "short" method is to just connect all of them in parallel, and power them with an adjustable power supply. If all is well, they should all light up at essentially the same time and same brightness.

Any emission data if the genset was diesel?

And powered by diesel, biodiesel, or Waste veggie oil?

--- Begin Message --- I've just returned to Maryland from a 2 week vacation in Florida. I didn't exactly embark on an EV promotional tour, but my friends and relatives know that my EV is my daily driver and had all sorts of questions. I did my best to answer and was fully honest when asked questions where my knowledge was lacking, specifically exotic chemistry batteries, and powering accessories like vacuum pumps and A/C and their effect on battery loads/ranges.

My uncle has now asked me to design and build an EV commuter car capable of 30 miles uninterrupted travel on mixed roads (highways and slower secondary roads). His commute is 60 miles total, but he is able to charge at work for at least 8 hours uninterrupted, hence the 30 mile range. He's not fussy about the donor car. He's not going to spring for exotic batteries, but he won't make me skimp on motor, controller or other components. He lives in south Florida so the good news is, he won't have to deal with extreme temperature changes that will reduce lead-acid battery capacity. The (sort of) bad news is, I'll have make darn sure that the controller is kept nice and cool on those humid, 101F degree days because all the amps in the world won't keep him moving if the controller is in thermal-cutback protect mode.

I'm a former submariner and communications engineer, not an automotive or EV engineer but I know I can successfully duplicate my very reliable electric Beetle and in fact, probably improve upon it in a few key areas. Wish me luck and smile, I've actually been asked to build and export an EV!

Rich A.
Maryland
'74 Beetle

Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581
Hi Rich,

Please feel free to pass along my info to your Father. We have a large EV
group here in S FL and will be holding monthly meetings at a local auto
service center so we can do technical sessions with the meetings. We are
going to be doing lots of projects as the local club and are always happy to
help each other with projects!

We know about heat and all the local problems you can run into.

On Beetles, I am starting a '73 Super Beetle and will updating my website as
I am able to: www.evbug.net

Hope we can help you and your father out...

Shawn Waggoner
Florida EAA
561-543-9223
www.floridaeaa.org

[...]

--- Begin Message --- I'll definitely stop by an have look. I've been contemplating a ev project for sometime and maybe this is my place to start! As background on these JETI vehicles, from the evalbum it seems that some of them are not really capable of highway speeds. I assume that since this is based on a ford body, this vehicle would be highway capable. Do you know if this is true, or if there is any pointer you can give me to read up on the background of these vehicles?

Thanks,

David Murphy
On Apr 15, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

[...]

           Hi Richard and All,

>I've just returned to Maryland from a 2 week vacation in
>Florida. I didn't  exactly embark on an EV promotional tour
>, but my friends and relatives know  that my EV is my daily
>driver and had all sorts of questions. I did my best  to
>answer and was fully honest when asked questions where my
>knowledge was  lacking, specifically exotic chemistry
>batteries, and powering accessories  like vacuum pumps and
>A/C and their effect on battery loads/ranges.
>
>My uncle has now asked me to design and build an EV
>commuter car capable of  30 miles uninterrupted travel on
>mixed roads (highways and slower secondary  roads). His
>commute is 60 miles total, but he is able to charge at work
>for  at least 8 hours uninterrupted, hence the 30 mile
>range.  He's not fussy  about the donor car. He's not going
>to spring for exotic batteries, but he  won't make me skimp
>on motor, controller or other components. He lives in
>south Florida so the good news is, he won't have to deal
>with extreme  temperature changes that will reduce
>lead-acid battery capacity.

         That's fairly easy by using a Karman Ghia or bug
based kitcar glider as you already  have the adaptor, ect,
to copy from your Beetle EV.
         A fairly fast one could be made with BB600's with a
contactor controller for a small amount of money with very
long battery life.
         Or a 72vdc with T125's or 48vdc with one of the
1,000 amp controllers for a more conventional EV.

The (sort  of) bad news is,
>I'll have make darn sure that the controller is kept nice
>and cool on those humid, 101F degree days because all the
>amps in the world  won't keep him moving if the controller
>is in thermal-cutback protect mode.

      Air temp doesn't get that high here, you in the north
get higher summer temps than we doo. Just at night our temps
don't go down, hanging around at 88=90F!! Very, very rarely
over 98F. But a dark car sitting in the sun can get over
200F. So mount it low with good airflow and you'll be
alright. Or go contactor controller and temp doesn't matter.

>I'm a former submariner and communications engineer, not an
>automotive or EV  engineer but I know I can successfully
>duplicate my very reliable electric  Beetle and in fact,
>probably improve upon it in a few key areas. Wish me  luck
>and smile, I've actually been asked to build and export an
>EV!

       The Bug, Ghia platform is hard to beat for EV's
because of their lightweight chassis, body and the Ghia for
more than 50 mph work with it's much better aero, the bug
for under 50 mph except for short bursts. While they don't
carry that much battery weight, they don't need much either
due to their low drag and saves on battery costs.
       I'm in Tampa if your uncle or anyone is around here
and needs help.
                                      Jerry Dycus