  1) RE: Hooking up zilla to laptop
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Spreading the word, getting it done.
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: EV Battery Recycling & Toxic Waste
        by "mclTunes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Hooking up zilla to laptop
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: An Electravan Shame story
        by Sam Maynard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Motor to Axle Options
        by "David Hankins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: CURTIS CONTROLLER SCHEMATIC?   Re: Putting a value on Curtis 1221B
72-120 V / 400 A  controller core
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: CURTIS CONTROLLER SCHEMATIC?   Re: Putting a value on Curtis
 1221B 72-120 V / 400 A  controller core
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Hooking up zilla to laptop
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
 11) Baldor builds 10,000 electric motors per day
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Hooking up zilla to laptop
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) 4 Day Class: Dynamics and Control of AC Drives
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Baldor builds 10,000 electric motors per day
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Baldor builds 10,000 electric motors per day
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Baldor builds 10,000 electric motors per day
        by "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & F
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: EVs on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Ford HySeries Almost Makes Explosive News at White House
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & F
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Ford HySeries Almost Makes Explosive News at White House
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) EVLN(Nissan/NEC TOKIN joint-venture: AESC li-ion company)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) EVLN('Of my 12 vehicles, I'll be the 1st to have a hybrid')
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) EVLN(New York Times Sprinter phEV)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) EVLN(Phoenix EVs @ Balboa Park, San Diego 4/22/07)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) EVLN(Ananthakrishna's Escooter empowers eco-commuters)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Dennis,
I'd love to see the pics.  I don't have a problem with large files up to 10MB.

I'll get ahold of my buddy there in Phoenix and have him call you.

If you wanted to get moving quicker you could see if there is one of these
around Phoenix.  Maybe a RadioShack would have them.
They're $0.79 and will let you use a standard phone cord between the Hairball
and the adaptor on the laptop.  I'll work you up a
diagram to set it up right.  All you do is poke 3 of the pins in the right
places on the DB9 connector.

Mike

> Dennis wrote
>
> Thanks Mike my tel # is 6023777583.I do have a working palm pilot buit with
> the truck project coming along and to be able to use it on my dragster it
> would
> be handy.I have 10 pictures of Bills bike,my truck motor,kta,s motors and my
> s10 would you like me to send them?   Dennis   </HTML>

This raises an interesting point.
How suspectable to salt air are typical ev vehicle components?
Do open air cooled ev motors have elements prone to "rust" or other salt air chemical disintegration?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 1:51 pm, Richard Acuti wrote:
I've just returned to Maryland from a 2 week vacation in Florida. I didn't exactly embark on an EV promotional tour, but my friends and relatives know that my EV is my daily driver and had all sorts of questions. I did my best to answer and was fully honest when asked questions where my knowledge was lacking, specifically exotic chemistry batteries, and powering accessories like vacuum pumps and A/C and their effect on battery loads/ranges.

My uncle has now asked me to design and build an EV commuter car capable of 30 miles uninterrupted travel on mixed roads (highways and slower secondary roads). His commute is 60 miles total, but he is able to charge at work for at least 8 hours uninterrupted, hence the 30 mile range. He's not fussy about the donor car. He's not going to spring for exotic batteries, but he won't make me skimp on motor, controller or other components. He lives in south Florida so the good news is, he won't have to deal with extreme temperature changes that will reduce lead-acid battery capacity. The (sort of) bad news is, I'll have make darn sure that the controller is kept nice and cool on those humid, 101F degree days because all the amps in the world won't keep him moving if the controller is in thermal-cutback protect mode.

I'm a former submariner and communications engineer, not an automotive or EV engineer but I know I can successfully duplicate my very reliable electric Beetle and in fact, probably improve upon it in a few key areas. Wish me luck and smile, I've actually been asked to build and export an EV!

Rich A.
Maryland
'74 Beetle

Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

Thanks Roy, you were right -- those links are a good place to start.
-- Mark

>Sorry if these are not new questions, but if someone could at least point
>me
>in the right direction.

These are good places to start-
http://www.leadacidbatteryinfo.org/lead-acid-battery-recycling.htm
http://www.batterycouncil.org/recycling.html
http://www.green.ca.gov/EPP/Batteries/default.htm
http://www.crownbattery.com/en/support/recycling.html

~~~~~~

Roy LeMeur

Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new
payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581

It helps if I give you the link to look at.
Google for DB9F-RJ11/12 Modular Adaptor brings up:
http://www.wiretester.com/db9frj11f.html
$0.79 ea

"I assume that since this is based on a ford body, this vehicle would be
highway capable. Do you know if this is true, or if there is any pointer
you can give me to read up on the background of these vehicles?"

I wasn't aware that it was in any way based on a Ford body, but I can
tell you from experience that I have driven my Electravan at 60 mph
straight and level at slightly less than full throttle. It has what I
believe to be the original 9" GE series motor powered by a 120V flooded
pack through a Curtis 1221C controller.  My understanding is that Jet
Industries bought Subaru 360's from the Subaru OEM with everything
minus a noisy 360cc motor, and sold them as a fully licensable all
electric vehicle.

I have PDF of the owner's manual somewhere on my laptop which I'll send
you if you are interested.

-Sam

Try the wrecking yard for a used manual tranny and clutch. Or just the
tranny and go clutchless.

David

 Date:  4/15/07 3:10:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Willmon)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 It helps if I give you the link to look at.
 Google for DB9F-RJ11/12 Modular Adaptor brings up:
 http://www.wiretester.com/db9frj11f.html
 $0.79 ea

YES I do have that adaptor and I have had it connected to my laptop
already.But I cannot get my laptop responding.   Dennis   </HTML>

My research indicates that biodiesel is probably the easiest way for a
hobbiest to get low emissions from an APU or hybrid application.

It has fairly low emissions to start with (except possibly NOX) and since
bio-diesel doesn't have any sulfur, you should be able to add a catalytic
converter, if you can find an appropriate sized one.

Might not reach SULEV status, but probably better than any other system
that a hobbiest can build.  Plus, if you use waste veggy stock, it's CO2
neutral.

> Any emission data if the genset was diesel?
>
> And powered by diesel, biodiesel, or Waste veggie oil?
>
> Thanks

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Who buys all these motors?  Who uses all these motors?

http://www.newsok.com/article/keyword/3038543/

Anxiously awaiting to see all those pics..

In Madison, Wisconsin and only $1,600...

http://epdweb.engr.wisc.edu/courses/course.lasso?myCourseChoice=j221

I worked at Baldor from 1996 to 2000 designing AC
inverter drives.  Most of the motors are built in Fort
Smith Arkansas (US built!).  They have an air
conditioned factory and profit sharing for all
employees down to the factory hourly worker.  This is
one of the few respected companies in the US that
treats it's employees with respect and rewards
everybody with profit sharing.
I don't know where all of the motors are going, but I
think more companies in the US should model their
business around the Baldor example.
Rod
--- Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Who buys all these motors?  Who uses all these
> motors?
>
> http://www.newsok.com/article/keyword/3038543/

I was looking into having one a chain saw converted to
diesel, and then powering a generator.
Supposedly they'll work for 500 hours, so it would be
a good emergency unit, when you run your batteries
low.

But the emissions have to be different from that
compared to a properly engineered diesel genset?

Is OK to say, well, I will just use veggie oil, and a
cat convertor?

--- Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My research indicates that biodiesel is probably the
> easiest way for a
> hobbiest to get low emissions from an APU or hybrid
> application.
>
> It has fairly low emissions to start with (except
> possibly NOX) and since
> bio-diesel doesn't have any sulfur, you should be
> able to add a catalytic
> converter, if you can find an appropriate sized one.
>
> Might not reach SULEV status, but probably better
> than any other system
> that a hobbiest can build.  Plus, if you use waste
> veggy stock, it's CO2
> neutral.
>

> > Any emission data if the genset was diesel?
> >
> > And powered by diesel, biodiesel, or Waste veggie
> oil?
> >
> > Thanks

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com
> >

> --
> If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4
> lines of legalistic
> junk at the end; then you are specifically
> authorizing me to do whatever I
> wish with the message.  By posting the message you
> agree that your long
> legalistic signature is void.

--- Begin Message --- These probably are not EV motors - Baldor makes a lot of motors for industrial uses.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod Hower" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I worked at Baldor from 1996 to 2000 designing AC
inverter drives.  Most of the motors are built in Fort
Smith Arkansas (US built!).  They have an air
conditioned factory and profit sharing for all
employees down to the factory hourly worker.  This is
one of the few respected companies in the US that
treats it's employees with respect and rewards
everybody with profit sharing.
I don't know where all of the motors are going, but I
think more companies in the US should model their
business around the Baldor example.
Rod
--- Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Who buys all these motors?  Who uses all these
motors?

http://www.newsok.com/article/keyword/3038543/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I work for a company that builds foundry equipment. We buy a few of them. We also built the machines that cast some of the housings for Baldor (I think that foundry has since lost their contract with Baldor, though:-( .

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod Hower" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I worked at Baldor from 1996 to 2000 designing AC
inverter drives.  Most of the motors are built in Fort
Smith Arkansas (US built!).  They have an air
conditioned factory and profit sharing for all
employees down to the factory hourly worker.  This is
one of the few respected companies in the US that
treats it's employees with respect and rewards
everybody with profit sharing.
I don't know where all of the motors are going, but I
think more companies in the US should model their
business around the Baldor example.
Rod
--- Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Who buys all these motors?  Who uses all these
motors?

http://www.newsok.com/article/keyword/3038543/

Chet wrote:

My understanding is that 40kw+ generators are pretty big and heavy.

Just stick a 20kw in it ;)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45381

It shouldn't burn too much diesel.. (~$3/gal?)

Gen head if anyone needs one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45416

On 4/13/07, Randy Burleson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In MA we have millions of folks buying this alternative,
> so I would say that's not "fringe".
Those millions may not be 'fringe' in Maine, with <1.5M people, but they
are still minority. Taken across 300M USA population, it merges toward
the fringe... even more-so if you figure nearly 7B worldwide. I applaud
your local action, and the micro-effect it may drive, but consider the
greater context, as well.

Of course! But I think we disagree on what 'fringe' means here, so
I'll leave that to semantics. To me, 'fringe' is an insignificant
portion of the population. I wouldn't say that is true anymore.

> Including gasoline...
Can anyone point to unbiased real-world numbers of what it takes to
drill, process, and deliver gasoline? I'm of the opinion that those big,
bad oil companies are building all of that into the cost at the pump --
I can't imagine a philanthropic discount!

It's because of cheap power that they can sell it at the prices they
do. It takes a bunch of electricity to process gasoline. They don't
burn oil to make oil, as it turns out.

<snip>
-- I wish EV batteries were as simple and economical as a petroleum
tank!

See that is, to my view, a limited way to look at the whole thing. The
whole business of oil exteriorizes its true costs by making itself not
liable for the damage it is causing. If you look at the whole
equation, with lung problems and carbon issues and war and etc, the
whole business of using oil is a loser for all of us. Sure, the oil
companies are making money, but ultimately we will -all- pay the price
that is lying in wait for burning all of that sequestered carbon, and
we are paying a very high price right now in the middle east, in any
event. Once you factor in the exteriorized costs, it gets a lot more
complicated than EVs.

> Even if we were to produce ALL of the electricity
> for our cars from oil, including generator inefficiencies,
> the total emissions would drop.
Citation, please?
Typical clean power plant generators run at something like 60%
efficiency and are almost emmision free these days. They can be even
cleaner with some very cheap algae bubblers that are now being put
into smokestacks all over the place. Plus they all use diesel, which
takes a fraction of the energy to produce as gasoline and carries more
energy per gallon. So, with some back of the envelope calculations, an
auto will probably be something like 75% efficient on electric
assuming most people use fast chargers and we have decent batteries.
That ends up with 45%. even at 90% efficiency with line losses, we
still have equal efficiency with burning diesel fuel in an auto
engine, and vastly improved emmisions.

PLUS all the emissions are coming out of stationary units and can be
much, much more easily controlled. Inevitably, they will all become
extremely clean.

The combination of stationary plants which can be regulated and
cleaned very easily, along with the general efficiency of electric
cars means we would have a much better picture.

That doesn't even begin to go into Biomass, solar or wind as offsets
for total emmisions.. but that was not  the issue in this case.

--T

It was interesting to hear Bob Lutz recount what Toyota said about the
car and when he rattles off the amount of batteries in the Tesla.  GM
is into it a lot more then I thought they were.

http://www.podtech.net/home/environment/nextgear/2689/bob-lutz-speaks

<< Here is an AC regen unit for sale on ebay: 140107777327 >>

Seems you'd get more power out of a Curtis 1238 AC controller - peak may only be
80V, but 550A makes up for it! Plus, you'd expect better product support, even
if Curtis isn't much into road-going EVs.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- This is news you will need to check out for yourself. But pretty entertaining anyway. For me, I'll take one Plug-In Prius - hold the hydrogen.

http://thenewshole.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/04/09/116213.aspx

Death Car: Ford HySeries Edge almost kills the president

Posted Apr 10th 2007 3:02PM by Sebastian Blanco
Filed under: Etc., EV/Plug-in, Hydrogen, Ford

Perhaps Ford CEO Alan Mulally's retelling of President Bush's encounter with the Ford HySeries Edge the other day is slightly exaggerated, but it sounds like the president had a close call with the dangers of new and dangerous hydrogen technology.

According to the Detroit News, Mulally said at the New York Auto Show that "he intervened to prevent President Bush from plugging an electrical cord into the hydrogen tank of Ford's hydrogen-electric plug-in hybrid at the White House."

Because Ford arranged to have an actual electrical outlet installed on the South Lawn (Ford can do that?), the live extension cord was left on the ground, close to the rear fuel tank. Apparently, this is dangerous. As Mulally explained:

"I just thought, 'Oh my goodness!' So, I started walking faster, and the President walked faster and he got to the cord before I did. I violated all the protocols. I touched the President. I grabbed his arm and I moved him up to the front. I wanted the president to make sure he plugged into the electricity, not into the hydrogen. This is all off the record, right?"

This brings up the obvious questions of what, exactly, was the danger, and how will this be fixed before these cars make it into production.

UPDATE: Keith Olbermann says Mulally is lying.

[Source: Detroit News]

On 4/16/07, Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It was interesting to hear Bob Lutz recount what Toyota said about the
car and when he rattles off the amount of batteries in the Tesla.  GM
is into it a lot more then I thought they were.
http://www.podtech.net/home/environment/nextgear/2689/bob-lutz-speaks

Still doesnt explain why the Volt "prototype" is still basically a
cardboard box with no drivetrain. And they had the exact same complete
drivetrain they are speaking of now in 1998 in EV1 Series Hybrid, just
with a different battery chemistry.

9 ( yes, thats nine ) years later they have nothing more to show than
Bob speaking ?

-kert

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've asked before with no answer, but I wonder if that generator could be used for an AC traction motor? I may get one and hook it to the front wheels/ICE motor in the Taurus Wagon, if I can't get it to drive the wheels it can at least do regen, the back wheels will have a big DC motor.
Jack

Ryan Stotts wrote:
Chet wrote:

My understanding is that 40kw+ generators are pretty big and heavy.

Just stick a 20kw in it ;)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45381

It shouldn't burn too much diesel.. (~$3/gal?)

Gen head if anyone needs one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45416

One of the commenters on that page said it was a live exposed male end of the
cord the the president was holding.  Has anyone seen pictures that show this to
be true... I'm starting to get scared for us :-O

> This is news you will need to check out for yourself. But pretty
> entertaining anyway. For me, I'll take one Plug-In Prius - hold
> the
> hydrogen.
>
> http://thenewshole.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/04/09/116213.aspx
>
> Death Car: Ford HySeries Edge almost kills the president
>
> Posted Apr 10th 2007 3:02PM by Sebastian Blanco
> Filed under: Etc., EV/Plug-in, Hydrogen, Ford
>
> Perhaps Ford CEO Alan Mulally's retelling of President Bush's
> encounter with the Ford HySeries Edge the other day is slightly
> exaggerated, but it sounds like the president had a close call
> with
> the dangers of new and dangerous hydrogen technology.
>
> According to the Detroit News, Mulally said at the New York Auto
> Show
> that "he intervened to prevent President Bush from plugging an
> electrical cord into the hydrogen tank of Ford's hydrogen-electric
>
> plug-in hybrid at the White House."
>
> Because Ford arranged to have an actual electrical outlet
> installed
> on the South Lawn (Ford can do that?), the live extension cord was
>
> left on the ground, close to the rear fuel tank. Apparently, this
> is
> dangerous. As Mulally explained:
>
> "I just thought, 'Oh my goodness!' So, I started walking faster,
> and
> the President walked faster and he got to the cord before I did. I
>
> violated all the protocols. I touched the President. I grabbed his
>
> arm and I moved him up to the front. I wanted the president to
> make
> sure he plugged into the electricity, not into the hydrogen. This
> is
> all off the record, right?"
>
> This brings up the obvious questions of what, exactly, was the
> danger, and how will this be fixed before these cars make it into
> production.
>
> UPDATE: Keith Olbermann says Mulally is lying.
>
> [Source: Detroit News]

EVLN(Nissan/NEC TOKIN joint-venture: AESC li-ion company)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}

http://www.askaprice.com/torque-article.asp?article=Nissan_to_produce_lithium_batteries_for_electric_cars&item=2976
Nissan to produce lithium batteries for electric cars

Nissan has signed an agreement with NEC TOKIN to establish a
joint-venture company – Automotive Energy Supply Corporation
(AESC) – to focus on lithium-ion batteries.

The company will aim for wide-scale automotive application by
2009, with operations starting April 2007, of the batteries which
will power future generations of electric vehicles.

Nissan’s partnership with NEC represents a key component of its
‘Nissan Green Program 2010’ mid-term environmental action plan.

As a ‘Sincere Eco-Innovator’, Nissan continues to develop
forward-looking ‘green technologies’ that contribute to
sustainable mobility,” said Carlos Tavares, Executive Vice
President of Nissan.

Nissan will introduce our own original hybrid vehicle by 2010,
followed by our next generation electric vehicle in the early
part of the next decade.

Through AESC, this battery will be made available to all
automakers, and we expect this could further accelerate the
development of future generations of eco-friendly vehicles,”
explained Tavares.

Nissan says that a wider mix of electric-powered vehicles
including hybrids, plug-in hybrids, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles
and electric vehicles will be made available to consumers in the
future.

===

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7128/
Nissan and NEC form new company to mass produce lithium-ion
batteries for the global automotive community
[...]
All content copyright © gizmag 2003-2007

===

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4711845.html
Nissan, NEC to Make Hybrid Batteries
By YURI KAGEYAMA AP Business Writer
© 2007 The Associated Press  April 13, 2007, 6:58AM

TOKYO — Nissan and electronics maker NEC will produce batteries
for ecologically friendly vehicles, the companies said Friday,
signaling efforts by the Japanese automaker to catch up with
rivals that have a head start in green technology.
[...]
Toyota is the first automaker to sell a mass-produced hybrid to
consumers, with the Prius in 1997. Toyota has dozens of patents
on the technology and has sold more hybrid vehicles than any
other car maker.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

EVLN('Of my 12 vehicles, I'll be the 1st to have a hybrid')
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11046
'Eco-friendly' hybrid cars for Gulf
by Andrew White on Sunday, 15 April 2007

General Motors will become the first carmaker to sell
‘eco-friendly' hybrid cars in the Gulf, Arabian Business can
reveal. The US manufacturer is to release a two-mode hybrid
version of its popular Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - which runs on
electricity, gasoline, or a mixture of the two.

"We want to offer people a choice," Terry Johnsson, managing
director for GM Africa and Middle East, told Arabian Business.
"Even if there's five families who say, ‘Out of my 12 vehicles,
I'm going to be the first on the block to have a hybrid vehicle',
then that's a good thing."

The full-size SUV will be launched in the autumn, and boasts an
electrical engine as well as a conventional combustion engine.
Drivers may use regular gasoline, or charge their vehicle through
the power grid. The car is expected to deliver a composite (city
and highway miles per gallon) fuel economy improvement of 25%.

Carmakers have faced heavy criticism from environmental groups
who claim that SUVs and other large vehicles contribute
significantly to the problem of climate change.

In response, GM has begun to apply advanced technologies to
high-volume, higher fuel-consuming segments.

"It's our choice - instead of bringing a small vehicle, we want
to show that people can have their size and their functionality,
and can also do everyone a favour with a hybrid," said Johnsson.

Last week GM announced sales growth of 16% for Q1 2007, compared
to the same period last year. The Chevrolet Tahoe SUV registered
a sales increase of 257% in the Middle East compared to Q1 2006.

Growth was consistent across almost all Middle East markets
driven in particular by Saudi Arabia, which traditionally
accounts for about 60% of GM's total regional sales. In the
Kingdom sales grew by 20% to 18,857 units in the quarter. Sales
in the United Arab Emirates, another key market for GM in the
region, grew by an impressive 17% to 4186 units.

© 2007 ITP Digital
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

EVLN(New York Times Sprinter phEV)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070415/BUSINESS01/704150609/1014/BUSINESS
New York Times to haul papers in plug-in hybrid
April 15, 2007

Last week, the New York Times received the first medium-duty
plug-in hybrid vehicle on the East Coast to use in its commercial
fleet as part of a technology evaluation.

The newspaper plans to use the Dodge Sprinter at a printing plant
in Queens to haul newspapers to its Manhattan headquarters.

© Copyright 2007 Freep.com. All rights reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

EVLN(Phoenix EVs @ Balboa Park, San Diego 4/22/07)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.sys-con.com/read/360976.htm
Phoenix Motorcars, Inc. Observes Earth Day in San Diego

ONTARIO, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 04/12/07 -- California-based
all-electric vehicle manufacturer, Phoenix Motorcars, Inc., will
showcase its five-passenger, zero-emission, all-electric sport
utility truck (SUT) during EarthFair 2007 held April 22, 2007 at
Balboa Park in San Diego.

"Participating in EarthFair allows us to introduce a cool vehicle
to help cool the earth," says Daniel J. Elliott, CEO of Phoenix
Motorcars. "This annual event educates and celebrates ways to
save our environment. Our class of vehicles is a safe, reliable
and smart transportation solution to make a positive impact on
our quality of life."

The SUT will be on display at the Cleaner Car Concourse, an
environmentally friendly exhibit area featuring alternative fuel
vehicles. In addition, Phoenix Motorcars' SUT will participate in
the Cleaner Car Caravan, a parade of alternative fuel vehicles to
raise awareness about the benefits of all-electric vehicles.

Phoenix Motorcars' battery-electric SUT can travel at freeway
speeds while carrying five passengers and a full payload. The SUT
exceeds all specifications for a Type III Zero Emission Vehicle,
having a driving range of over 100 miles, can be recharged in
less than 10 minutes and has a battery pack with a life of 12
years or more. It is powered by UQM Technologies Inc.'s (AMEX:
UQM) propulsion system, utilizes Boshart Engineering's
homologation process and is equipped with a revolutionary
Altairnano NanoSafe(TM) (NASDAQ: ALTI) battery pack.

A limited number of vehicles will be available to consumers in
2007 with an expanded consumer launch scheduled for 2008. Phoenix
Motorcars will also introduce an SUV model in late 2007.
Currently, Phoenix Motorcars targets operators of fleet vehicles,
such as public utilities, public transportation providers and
delivery services.

EarthFair 2007 is the world's largest free environmental fair and
Earth Day celebration attracting over 60,000 spectators.
EarthFair features more than 200 exhibitors, special theme areas,
five entertainment venues, the Children's Earth Parade and
Cleaner Car Caravan. For more information, visit
www.earthdayweb.org.

ABOUT PHOENIX MOTORCARS, INC.
Phoenix Motorcars, Inc., a privately held company headquartered
in Ontario, Calif., has been an industry leader in the
development of battery-electric, freeway-speed vehicles since
2001. The mission of Phoenix Motorcars is to manufacture
zero-emission vehicles including Sport Utility Trucks and Sport
Utility Vehicles to reduce the toxic emissions from the largest
contributor to air pollution, personal automobiles. Phoenix
Motorcars has strategic alliances with UQM Technologies, Inc.
, Altair Nanotechnologies, Inc. and Boshart Engineering. For
additional information, visit www.phoenixmotorcars.com.
Contact:Hillary Angel Phone: (909) 625-2225 x23
Copyright © 2007 SYS-CON Media. All Rights Reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/12/stories/2007041215960200.htm
Date:12/04/2007 Karnataka - Bangalore
Silent revolution on two wheels   Shilpa Sebastian R.

Anil Ananthakrishna hopes his scooter will power the
eco-sensitive commuter

[Photo: K. Bhagya Prakash
 http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/12/images/2007041215960201.jpg
ECO-FRIENDLY: Anil Ananthakrishna with his electric scooter.]

Bangalore: If you think the eco-sensitive population is looking
at electric vehicles only now, think again. There was an oil
crisis way back in the 1970s when the oil-producing countries
nationalised petroleum companies and raised the prices.

An engineer from the R.V. College of Engineering, Anil
Ananthakrishna, started designing the electric scooter during
that time "when we faced the first oil crisis."

The aim, he says, was to bring out a mode of transportation that
uses an alternative to fuel and one that is low in price and
checks pollution. Anil went on to build different batches of
vehicles for Germany, China and the U.S. "I lived abroad for 25
years as they were more receptive to my work. I was invited by
the German Government to continue with designing the electric
scooter. Came back to India in 2004 and am making the electric
scooter here," says Anil, who is a U.S. citizen but lives in
China.

He started with the scooter as he found that two-stroke vehicles
were being "used by most people." He began work in the city by
employing women in his company, Eko Vehicles.

He claims that in the last two years 3,500 electric scooters
manufactured by his company have hit the roads in Karnataka,
Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.

These electric scooters — called Eko Cosmis-1 — are priced at Rs.
33,500 plus road taxes and the battery, and run at a speed of 40
km per hour. "Now loans are also available to buy my scooters
that consume one unit of power to run 50 km. That would
approximately cost Rs. 4 for the ride," announces Anil.

The 85-kilo scooter looks like a conventional vehicle but comes
with a battery and "an intelligent microprocessor based speed
controller that works like a regulator".

In case you need to charge your batteries during your journey,
then Anil has put up Rapid Chargers in six centres in the city
that work like a petrol outlet.

The six centres are in Jayanagar, Indiranagar, Brigade Road,
Brunton Road, Bellary Road and Koramangala. "It will take 15
minutes to charge your battery and you can hit the road once
again," adds Anil, who is the founder of the World Electric
Vehicle Organisation, formed in the 1980s, which "is an active
group of people who are the senior heads of the departments of
Energy, Pollution Control and Alternative Sources of Transport."
The battery, however, will last till the vehicle runs about
15,000 kilometres. The new battery comes at Rs. 4,000.

Now his aim is to start as many Rapid Charger centres calling
them the "charge and chai shop" using people with disabilities.

Anil can be contacted on 41240814/15 and for details about his
product log on to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

© Copyright 2000 - 2006 The Hindu
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter