  1) Re: NdFeB magnets in motors?
  2) RE: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Need for Speed (was RE: Silly Tweety!)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: "largish" brushless motors available
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: NEMA 4 boxes for contactors
        by "bortel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Who Killed the Electric Car
        by robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) IEEE Spectrum Features Tesla as #1 Top 10 Tech Car
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: ReVolt, Chelsea and Chris and the Power of DC
        by "David Hrivnak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Price point needed
        by "Richard Krog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: NEMA 4 boxes for contactors
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by Breesy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Need for Speed (was RE: Silly Tweety!) .. ev is better than i.c.e.
vehicles !
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) how businesses work
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Jacob has Tagged you! :)
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) EV reliability and WKTEC showing in  Sarasota,Fla tonight,, EVers meet?
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Price point needed
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Need for Speed (was RE: Silly Tweety!)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: how businesses work
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Price point needed
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Motor to Axle Options
        by Keith Richtman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Motor to Axle Options
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) 1980 Commuta Car brakes
        by Tad Coles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Did you happen to notice the power rating on that generator?

Even using  of them, it would have to be about 10 times as powerful in
order to provide mediocre performance.
Using those tecniques it would have to be several times as large and it's
already as big as a wheel.

So theoretically, yes you could build hub motors like that.  Practically?
Probably not.

> Hi
> I was interested to read about NdFeB magnets being used to create a
> high power windmill.
> http://www.otherpower.com/wisc06.html
>
> The construction of the hub generator especially!
>
> I'm sure a hub motor (or 4 of them)could be built using this method
> to give us a motor of  appropriate size for each wheel in a
> conversion. Is anyone doing this and do any of the motor experts here
> have comment's on the technology?
>
> Please! I am not asking about the weight issue with regard to the
> problem of increased unsprung weight as that has been discussed to
> death already!  Only the motor technology.
>
> Thanks
> Tom
>

>       Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
> Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at
> http://ca.answers.yahoo.com

> Still doesnt explain why the Volt "prototype" is
> still basically a cardboard box with no drivetrain.
It is a CAR SHOW CAR! In auto jargon a 'buck.'

Car show concepts are built to look pretty, to dip a toe in the public
pool.

Where GM goes forward is certainly up for discussion, considering where
they have been in the past, but c'mon, faulting them for having a
minimally-motive buck is about like wondering why the stars don't
twinkle on a theatrical backdrop.

Randii

> Fast EVs get noticed...It's one of our best selling concepts.
Sure is... we stand a better chance wooing the masses by matching or
beating ICE performance than we do by dumbing down ICEs...

Kudos to all that are pushing the limits in the direction of more
wide-spread acceptance!

Efficiency is important, but balancing performance against pure
efficiency is the way to woo the world...

Randii

I was always wondering how 20hp AC CNC spindle motors would adapt to EV's
I couldn't find any reasonable on ebay right now,  but I have seen them
go for about 500 on ebay. When they say 20hp they are talking continuous.

of this type

130098794499
220085504442
140005665199

A lot are water cooled, Excellent balance and bearings, great torque and
wide rpm range. And there are also a lot of inverters :-)

If you're not trying to do an overnight conversion and you want to save
money, go check eBay. These types of boxes are almost always listed.

You can get almost anything for an EV on eBay for a lot less money if you do
a little research, know what you want, know what is a good price to pay, and
have a little time to wait for one to show up, if it isn't listed right now.

Just my 2 pennies.

Dan

From: robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Who Killed the Electric Car
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:45:12 -0700 (PDT)

>My two cents on who killed the electric car:  Not just GM.
>Imho, we can include mis-information from industry,
>"experts", and lack of affordable/reliable controllers,
>chargers, gauges, and tinkerers.

        There are a large number of very reliable EV
componants that have been used in industural EV's for a
century that are very suitable for EV's!!! Some Baker
Electrics still running and even have the original batteries
in them, did 100 mile range back in the 1910's so it rather
a stretch that reliable EV parts are not available for
excellent Ev's.
        It's really the EV gliders where EV's fail,
conversions needing 2-3x's as large battery pack,
controller, motor, charger, connections, ect that drive up
the cost, number of parts to fail for the same range, speed.
        The only real things needed to make EV's sucessful
are good gliders built for, as EV's, to lower EV, vehicle
parts, lifetime costs. And education on the care and feeding
of batteries. Everything else is already here, proven.
        For low cost EV parts I'd go to local forklift, DC
motor shops and look for orphaned motors, contactors at very
low costs or even whole forklifts, take what's good and sell
the rest for scrap. A 50 yr old electric motor is just
getting to midlife!!

                                    Jerry Dycus

The electric vehicle
>option will be difficult for many people. Even at VEVA, the
>Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association, most of its
>officers either don't own an electric car, or have EV's
>that aren't working, or have EV's that they are going to
>sell due to frustration with parts and components. In
>another example, Bayla at Flora Health in Burnaby alleged
>that his company gave up on an electric minivan, that was
>made by CANEV, because its Trojan batteries only provided
>usable range for a short while. Their female staff
>(according to Bayla) were scared to drive Flora's e-minivan
>because they didn't know how far it would go. At times,
>even after a full charge, it lost power after just going
>around the block. (My group knows why Flora's batteries
>didn't work properly.) So, Bayla
> says Flora traded in their electric minivan for a Prius
>hybrid, losing thousands of dollars on their EV project.
>This isn't the only EV disaster story in BC.
>
>However, my group is determined to find every solution to
>make EV's work reliably, for everyday use. It took me, with
>tons of help from friends, two years to solve the six major
>hurdles to electric biking. We're determined to win, in the
>electric 4-wheel game, too.
>

>Rob Matthies
>

>Bob Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    Hi EVerybody;
>
>   If you don't have your own copy of WKtEC?? Ya mean ya
>DON'T??Fix that RIGHT NOW! Netflix is selling them, used
>for $8.47 out their door, shipped! Just ordered another
>copy. I like having a few around, ya never
>know?Inconvenient Truth is in there, too.
>
>    I just got a E mail thing from Net flix, as I'm a
>member. The TV set is good for SOMETHING!Watching ad free
>movies.
>
>    Be Scene ya
>
>    Bob

Needs a few upgrades - probably worth about $7500, give or take.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

[...]

One the great things about Tweety are that it draws attention because it looks
so silly.  Then it’s the contrast between its looks and performance that makes
such an impression on people.  So, it turns out that its silly looks are a real
benefit in helping EV’s gets noticed.
The other thing we have learned is that you have to concentrate on visual
performance to promote EV's.  Stay away from the environment thing.  That is a
big turn off for most of the general public.  After they are thoroughly blown
away by the performance, they usually will mention the environmental benefit
themselves.  It's been our experience that when people witness the performance,
the significance of argued negative points of EVs becomes very diluted.
I had someone ask if Tweety had a V6 engine.  I said no, it has an 8 inch.
After a long bewildered look on their face, I finally said, “it’s electric”.
That completely blew them away.

Ken

> Fast EVs get noticed...It's one of our best selling concepts.
Sure is... we stand a better chance wooing the masses by matching or
beating ICE performance than we do by dumbing down ICEs...

Kudos to all that are pushing the limits in the direction of more
wide-spread acceptance!

Efficiency is important, but balancing performance against pure
efficiency is the way to woo the world...

Randii
AOL at AOL.com.

> ... They know their income model  is seriously threatened by BEVs,
> and -even more- by PHEVs.

a very valid conclusion ..

the ice vehicle killed the electric car(s) of the early 1900's
the ev will kill the ice cars today ..

it will be wrong to close down the profitable product lines
and make the 'right' kind of vehicles .. happens all the time ..

i know of one good maker of good fans .. so good that the
fans never went bad .. so no need for replacments or even
servicing or of parts .. they went bust .. product was tooo good
for business

i see another maker who makes awful quality fans .. and
have seen him grow 10 times in last few years .. lifetime
guarantee .. never works .. fans go bad every 3 years ..
was 5 years before .. and people get them repaired

all are happy .. consumers .. since price is 'cheap' .. local
electricians .. since they have windings job every 3 to 5 years ..
bearings need to be changed .. company earns a lot

wierd are the ways of businesses

This is the trouble with anecdotes, though. Harvard Business teaches
many things, and one of them is obsolesence. The object lesson in the
lightbulb company going bankrupt because their product was too good
(here you are talking about fans) is NOT an example of how not to do
business, it is supposed to show you how non diversification can
cripple your business, and that the only way to suceed in a
specialized line is through planned destruction (making crappy
products). That is supposed to be a bad idea, by the way.

There is no reason you can't make a fantastic, durable product and
stay in business. You just have to be LESS GREEDY. :-) The Stock
Market precludes that though, since the mantra is 'grow grow grow' so
if you make durable goods that last, you won't grow quickly, and
therefore you will take a hit in the market. If you diversify they
will say you are not sticking to your 'core competency' and you take a
hit. And so on.

The auto is too expensive and important for us to leave in the hands
of folks that are only interested in profit. Making money is great,
but not at the expense of the good of all. Ultimately, the big
companies are going to to get their behinds handed to them by the BEV
guys if they don't get with the program. I don't think very many
people were fooled by the Volt.

He can talk talk talk all he wants. They crushed the EV1s that were
already working, and that they were already tooled for, and which
people were already driving. They already had a pipeline, they already
had a design. They already had battery technology that they OWNED.
They already had 10s of thousands of people that had signed up for
one.

To reintroduce the EV1 would have cost much, much less than this pie
in the sky thing they are touting.

GM is a freaking monolith. They don't care about US. They don't care
about the environment. They don't care about energy.

They care about PROFIT. Repeat after me. PROFIT.

Everything that comes out of this guy's mouth is PR to maximize
profit. GM has been taking serious hits from WKTEC and they did this
to deflect from that. They are GREENWASHING themselves. They do not
intend on actually doing anything unless they have no other choice.

These are the people who lied to, manipulated, bullied and outright
screamed at the CARB. These are the people who sicked the Bushies on
CA with threats of federal lawsuits. These are the guys who lied when
they say they spent a billion on the EV1 (yeah right.. lets see the
receipts). These are the guys who then turned around and sold the NiMH
patent rights to Chevron, the company that Condi Rice is so in bed
with and which has been ruthless repressing the use of large format
NiMH technology in anything that even smells like an EV.

No. GM is not going to be honest about this. They are not going to be
producing the next great car anytime soon. They are shyte, profit
mongers and as far as I am concerned I'll be laughing as I dance on
their stock ticker as they stop trading when they dissolve into little
pieces.

         Hi Joe, Richard and All,