  1) Re: how businesses work
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Need for Speed (was RE: Silly Tweety!)
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: 1980 Commuta Car brakes
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) ReVolt, Chelsea and Chris and the Power of DC
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Need for Speed (was RE: Silly Tweety!)
        by Rich Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Buying new batteries, maybe more
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Price point needed
        by "Richard Krog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: 1980 Commuta Car brakes
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: An Electravan Shame story.  Happy ending?
 10) Rolls-Surrette
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Buying new batteries, maybe more
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Need for Speed (was RE: Silly Tweety!) .. ev is better than i.c.e.
vehicles !
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Rolls-Surrette
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Warp9 max motor voltage?
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: NEMA 4 boxes for contactors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Price point needed
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) adding new battery to old(er) pack
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Rolls-Surrette
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: NdFeB magnets in motors?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Rolls-Surrette
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Warp9 max motor voltage?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: NEMA 4 boxes for contactors
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Warp9 max motor voltage?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) DC Systems 1200 Overheating
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Think Neighbor OEM Battery
 30) Re: Price point needed
From: "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snipped>
> The auto is too expensive and important for us to leave in the hands
> of folks that are only interested in profit. Making money is great,
> but not at the expense of the good of all. Ultimately, the big
> companies are going to to get their behinds handed to them by the BEV
> guys if they don't get with the program. I don't think very many
> people were fooled by the Volt.

quite correct .. sadly i don't find any model anywhere of this
kind of 'not leaving in the hands of folks' thingy .. this is where
we have a systemic failure .. the system didn't work, doesn't work,
will not work .. UNLESS .....

the rise of Linus torvald's alternate system to work on computers
is the result of such a need .. and lots of people pitched in .. though
he didn't want to give up his hold easily either ! today linux does
all that other systems do .. and many more things that other systems
just cannot do

similar is the status of ev's ! they perform much better than i.c.e.
vehicles .. and do things which those can't .. like returning power
to the grid ..  with lots of tinkerers like this group's members doing
great things

the problem of right things NOT happening because of the
way businesses work is still not solved .. so i see open source
designing of ev's happening rather soon !

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Ken, Great post and I totally agree!You should go to the Car and Driver forums and speak up under the response to the article: "Batteries Included" http://forums.caranddriver.com/auto/board/message?board.id=10&thread.id=3920 You will know what I mean when you read the first post. I will be posting later today under the user name Ampsucker.

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

From: "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: < ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Price point needed
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:15:46 -0700

>Needs a few upgrades - probably worth about $7500, give or
>take.

       Considering it's dead and once people price out it's
expensive battery pack, it should go for a lot less, about
$3-5k. Other comments below.
      You could buy most everything it has you need for
under $5k or much less used. So much over that and you can
build your own better.

>Joseph H. Strubhar
>
>Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
>E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Wrong batts as they are about 3x's as expensive as
golf cart types that will give better range for muchy less
money.

Body: 1994 Ford Ranger short cab, short bed (1,800
>> miles - spotless and looks like it came through a time

>> machine) DC/DC: Curtis 72v/12v (tapping only 6 batteries)

        Not good!! Remove it and replace with another of the
whole pack voltage. This and the charger are probably why
this EV failed by unbalancing, overcharging the pack.

>> Transmission: ICE manual 5-speed
>> Brakes: OEM with vacuum pump

        Replace with manual brakes.

>> On board Charger: Zivan NG-1
>> Garage charger: Lester 120v/20Amp metal-metal connector

        Great for GC batts, deadly for sealed!!

>> Steering: Switch-enabled electric

         Replace with manual.

>> Suspension: Additional rear leaf-springs
>> Tires: Stock
>>
>> Any thought on a fair price?
>>
>> Secondly, my State Farm rep claims they cannot insure the
>> vehicle.  Does anyone have experience insuring an EV in
>>Pennsylvania?

         State Farm insures other EV's so you might want to
check another agent. Progressive insures EV's along with
other companies.
                              Jerry Dycus

On 17 Apr 2007 at 9:09, Tad Coles wrote:

> I'm considering purchase of a 1980
> Commuta Car that needs new batteries and has "leaky brake cylinders."

> I'm told it takes 8 golf cart batteries that cost ~$60 each (6 volt I
> assume). Does that sound right?

Pretty close.  I used to figure around $45-50 each, but lead is very high these
days.  Maybe $65 now?  Somebody who's bought batteries lately should
speak to this.

> How much range/speed should I expect from
> this vehicle with new batteries?

Depends on whether it has the 6.38 or the 5.13 rear axle.  Mine had the 5.13
and it struggled to approach 40mph.  The 6.38 axle will be slower, but will
climb hills better (or perhaps I should say "will climb hills."  ;-)

You wouldn't want to drive it much faster than 40 anyway.  The suspension
and brakes are barely adequate for 35 mph.  C-cars have a lot of bump steer.
 I've read that a stabilizer can help this, but I don't know what you'd use or
where you'd mount it.  Also, under heavy braking they tend to swap ends.

Practical range will be 30-40 miles in summer, 20-30 miles in the winter (less
if you live in the northern states).  You could probably improve the winter
range with battery heaters.

> Do these cars have a stock on board charger? If so, How many hours does it
> take to fully charge the batteries with the stock charger?

There should be an onboard charger, unless it's failed or vanished.  Figure
overnight charging, 8-12 hours.  It's not a particularly sophisticated charger.

Replacements are available, but there are better choices.

> My impression is that these cars are very unsafe and hazardous if involved
> in a wreck. Thoughts?

Well, the Comuta-Cars supposedly passed FMVSS for their year.  The
battery boxes provide a surprising amount of energy absorption.

However, there are a couple of potential problems.  The steering column is
not collapsable; I'd think it would be a likely source of injury in a frontal
collision.  Also, the driver's head is too close to the windshield.

They're safer than they look, but not by much.

> Any experience out there fixing leaky brake cylinders on Commuta Cars?

C-cars leak water (at least) around the back hatch, so they're always damp
inside.  This may be the reason that the master cylinder (located under the
instrument panel) and wheel cylinders are usually corroded in old ones that
have sat for a while.  The humidity inside the car seems to get into the brake
system.

The brakes in mine didn't work at all.  I replaced the master cylinder.  It was
identical to that for a '67 Rambler Ambassador with drum brakes.  I was able
to rebuild the wheel cylinders in mine, except for one which was so far gone I
had to replace it.

At the time Sebring Autocycle still was selling parts, and I got rebuild kits
and a cylinder from them.  However I also located the spares at a local
Cushman industrial vehicle dealer.  I went with the factory parts because the
Cushman parts were MUCH more expensive.

Note that this was almost 20 years ago.

Nu-Kar and and EVPerformance still sell some C-car parts.  They can be a
bit pricey.

http://www.api-assembled.com/electric/catalog/ordermenu.html

http://www.evperformance.com/

> Will the car fit on a 4X8 trailer (I think it will)?

It might.  I think I hauled mine with a rented 5 x 10 flatbed trailer.  It had
winch, which made the job easy.

Does anyone know how much it weighs (I think ~1400 lb with batteries)?

Something like 1480lb, I think, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

> The vehicle is about 250 miles from where I live so I have not seen it. I've
> never bid on a vehicle sight unseen, but considering that I live in Kansas
> City and there is a dirth of ready to drive EV's available here I guess I'll
> need to do so if I really want an EV. What else should I ask about before
> making a sight-unseen offer?

Just don't.  Go see it.  You should be able to drive that round trip in a day.

You want to make sure it's been under cover.  If the car's been stored outside
the body may be in bad shape.  The UV in sunshine is hard on ABS.  The
paint was supposed to serve as a UV shield, but cars left in the sun can
crack and crumble.

That said, don't count it out just because it looks a bit rough.  So did mine.
C-cars are really not that complicated to fix, assuming you have a little
experience with mechanical and electrical work.  There's nothing on that car
that a normally fit person can't lift.  The motor only weighs 65 lb.

> Tinkers Workshop tried to move/sell an Electravan that they knew little
> about.

Someone has promised to pickup the Electravan & the motor & tranny that goes
with it & put it in running order.  If it doesn't happen I'll let EVeryone
know but I think this person knows the value of this vehicle.  Lets wish him
good luck.  Lawrence Rhodes...

Has anyone had experience using these as traction batteries in an EV?
I ask because I have used them in marine use and they are pretty much
the best thing going for lead acid durability and longevity. Yes, I
know they are pricey. :-)

--T

Hi Ben an' EVerybody;

   Badd-eries are HIDIOUSLY expensive nowadaze!! I was quoted for some here
in CT the other day. NINETY FIVE bux for T 105 equivelents. But they are
made by Surrete, the Rolls folks. They are famous for HD batteries for
trains, boats and Home Power setups.The big selling point is the Poz Plates
are hevier=.080 thick instead of .100. Sez double the life cycles, well I'm
reading from the  Brochure.But Surrette is a famous battery builder. But ALL
GC batteries are shockingly expensive. But, I just bought a Prius trunk of
used T 105's, 6 for 150 bux, so they are out there!Ya take yur chances but
my FIRST load of T 105's lasted 20k miles!!For 400 bux. So I was a happy
camper.

   Rae Battery, 51 Deming Rd. Berlin CT.... Talk to Roy, tell him I sentya
860-828-6007 he MIGHT have some left. Roy CAN cast ya decent terminals,
too!He is an old school battery guy, been in the biz since the 40's. When
I'm happy with somebody I like to spread the word.

    Other Stuff;

    Ben, yur voltage say is a bit too much. I think. Drive around hard an'
heavy, do some burnouts, fast runs in high gear then feel around. Anything
hot? Like my connections I made for ya???I think you are not getting all the
power you paid for? I used to sag about 5-10 volts at 200-250 amps in the
rabbit at 120 volts, at worst! Usually about 5 volts ran 115 v going down
the Turnpike.Anything hot? I'll be glad to redo them for ya!

    Happy Hunting

> The Volt is nothing more than an effort to get rid of the bad
> publicity that was generated by WKTEC, end of statement.
I disagree, but I understand where you are coming from. I'm not drinking
their Kool-aid, but I'm also not spreading doom, gloom, and FUD to
enhance the chance of it failing. Seems like a recipe for a
self-fulfilling prophecy, driven by the potential consumers themselves!

> GM deserves nothing from me but contempt, and when they get their
> arses handed to them by independents and go under, I'll raise a
> toast to days gone by and good riddens.
They're likelier to get their arses handled by their own unrealistic
business commitments to Big Labor, but I expect that the folks who claim
that their EV efforts are going to fail will also claim that their own
strident voice was what brought GM down.

Me, I'll support anyone who brings a mass-marketable, mass-producable,
PHEV or BEV to market at modest cost. Heck, I'd own one today if I could
find one that met my wife's carrying capacity requirements. Until that
happens, I'm on track to build my own lightweight runabout since I can't
find what I seek (thought the Bug-E is pretty close!)

Randii

> i still haven't got any reply to that video clip where a VW beetle
> reared up like a horse when it accelerated ...
I missed that URL -- please re-post! I haven't seen a good Vee-Dub
wheelstand since the last time I was at the track! :D

Randii

On 17 Apr 2007 at 12:50, Timothy Balcer wrote:

> Has anyone had experience using these as traction batteries in an EV?

I'm sure I remember somebody on this list using them ...

Ah, here it is :

http://www.repp.org/discussion/ev/200103/msg01411.html

http://www.repp.org/discussion/ev/200103/msg01525.html

I have an older Warp 9 (serial number 2) in my Mazda
2600 truck, powered by an older Zilla (serial # 6, the
ones without hairballs) and (23) Trojan T125s.  There
will eventually be 24 Trojans in it.  Any suggestions
what to set the max motor voltage to?  What about max
battery amps?

I looked on Netgain's web site, but all I could find
is that it's a 72V motor.

Thanks for your time,

- Steven Ciciora

Mark Dutko wrote:
I'm looking for a ABS or Polyester 10X11X4 approx high box for my contactors and relays. Something with a screw top not mote than 5"H. Does anyone know of a good source? I've looked at Hoffman, Budd, Hammond. Any others? Other suggestions? I don't want to use metal of aluminum.

Contactors produce heat and get hot. If you put them in a plastic box without ventilation, they may melt their own ventilation holes!

Even though the truck is 10 years old the parts are not that out of date ,, the
dc to dc converter will have to go ,, as you can't tap the battery pack and
expect long battery life ,, the fact that the truck is in such good shape is a
very big plus ... so
motor and plate 2k
controller             1k
chargers              1k
truck body ?????   some my say I'm hi on the used parts but looks like there
not to old ,, What somthing is worth is not always the same as what you can get
somthing for. In my mind EV's are way under priced , of many reasons ... Also
putting this all together would cost 3 to 6k depending on who did it .   On the
other hand  sombody in my town just bought a ev off e bay and they pretty much
ended up with just a old curtis and a z ban charger , the motor wasn't worth
anything ... A fair price might me 10 k ,,, the price the it will sell for , 5k
,,,, so it goes ...
looks like I'm back on the list  if this goes through ?
steve clunn

> Hi, new to the list.
>
> I have an opportunity to buy an electric truck that was converted as a
> prototype over 10 years ago.  It has been sitting in a garage unused ever
> since.  I am trying to determine a fair market price.  Here are the specs:
>
> Motor: Advanced DC FB1-4001
> Controller: Curtis 1231C (500A)
> Batteries: 20 new 12V PbA Deka DC31DT (2 parallel strings of 10)
> Body: 1994 Ford Ranger short cab, short bed (1,800 miles - spotless and
> looks like it came through a time machine)
> DC/DC: Curtis 72v/12v (tapping only 6 batteries)
> Transmission: ICE manual 5-speed
> Brakes: OEM with vacuum pump
> On board Charger: Zivan NG-1
> Garage charger: Lester 120v/20Amp metal-metal connector
> Steering: Switch-enabled electric
> Suspension: Additional rear leaf-springs
> Tires: Stock
>
> Any thought on a fair price?
>
> Secondly, my State Farm rep claims they cannot insure the vehicle.  Does
> anyone have experience insuring an EV in Pennsylvania?
>
> Richard

Appologies if this ended up getting posted twice...

Tomorrow I will be replacing my battery with the melted post with a new
battery.  The pack is around 8-9 months old, and has been sitting for a
month uncharged.  Is there anything special I need to do when I add in the
new battery?  Anything special to do for a pack that's been sitting this
long?

thanks - De

Oof. That's not a very good showing, methinks.

Very odd though.. that model actually is supposed to have something on
the order of 1.08 as a peukert's number. I'd be surprised if Surrette
intentionally advertised false information... they supply an awful lot
of battery to marine and solar installations.

--T

On 4/17/07, David Roden (Akron OH USA) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 at 12:50, Timothy Balcer wrote:

> Has anyone had experience using these as traction batteries in an EV?

I'm sure I remember somebody on this list using them ...

Ah, here it is :

http://www.repp.org/discussion/ev/200103/msg01411.html

http://www.repp.org/discussion/ev/200103/msg01525.html

Kaido Kert wrote:
What you are basically saying is that all the motor components,
winding insulation, rotor and bearings are overbuilt with a 10x
margin, provided there is sufficient cooling.

No; I don't think that's the case. Motors have enough safety margin to survive in their *intended* application. Rarely will that be a 10:1 margin, because most applications aren't that brutal.

Motors that run a fan or blower have a very easy time of it. Fans don't dray high starting currents, they never get overloaded (blocking a fan make it draw *less* power), and by their nature have lots of cooling. So, you might have less than a 2:1 margin for a fan motor.

On the other hand, a motor for a hoist, air compressor, bandsaw, etc. may occasionally be subjected to considerable overloads. So, the designer will have had to include a much larger safety margin, or he will get lots of field failures and warranty returns.

But what we're talking about here isn't an overload in the normal sense. When you double the frequency of an AC motor, you are re-rating it (coming up with new ratings at a different operating point). A 10hp 120v 60hz motor becomes a 20hp 240v 120hz motor. It doesn't run any hotter, and will last just as long.

Which prompts the question .. i wonder how one would monitor the
temperature of the rotor in a simple way ? Stator is easy enough

How simple, and how accurate?

I've seen old motors with a piece of bimetal attached to the end of the rotor. A bakelite guard over it prevented wind cooling. If the rotor got hot, the bimetal "popped" outward, which hit a microswitch to light a "hot" indicator or shut down the system so it can cool.

I would imagine you could use a bimetal strip that flexed proportional to temperature, and use a non-contact LED/phototransistor to measure its position.

Jeff Major wrote:
  Not that rotor temperature is not important, but these cast rotors have no
insulation.  Melting point of aluminum is 660 deg C.  The stator limit should
be in the 150 to180 d C range.  Keep your stator within limit and the rotor
will probably be all right.

You run into problems with the rotor windings at very high torques and/or very low speeds. If you're generating full torque at stall, for example, the stator windings stay pretty cool buy you can *melt* the rotor windings!

GWMobile wrote:
I ditto that question.
I had a look at that site last year and immediately wondered about the ability to instead make a home made motor the same way.

These aren't very good motor designs (or generator designs, for that matter). They are optimized to be very simple, and generate useful power at very low RPM. But their power-to-weight and efficiency ratings are poor. They also tend to be quite expensive for a given amount of power due to the magnets.

 A 10hp 120v
60hz motor becomes a 20hp 240v 120hz motor. It doesn't run any hotter,
and will last just as long.

Now how do we pump up that same motor to say, 200hp?  Increase the hz?
What's the absolute upper limits?

Timothy Balcer wrote:

> Very odd though.. that model actually is supposed to have something on
> the order of 1.08 as a peukert's number. I'd be surprised if Surrette
> intentionally advertised false information... they supply an awful lot
> of battery to marine and solar installations.

This Peukert exponent is a dead giveaway that the specs are wrong.  1.08
would be a decent number for an AGM, but completely unlikely for a
flooded battery.

Surette's site still lists the reserve capacity of the 30H108 (a group
30 flooded marine battery) as 203min, as does the spec sheet referenced
below, however, the table of capacity at various discharge rates in the
same spec sheet clearly reveals that 203min is not right.  At 21A, the
capacity is 64Ah for a 180min runtime; at 28A it drops to 55Ah for a
120min runtime.  25A would be somewhere in the 140min ballpark between
these points, not somewhere over the runtime at the lower 21A rate.

<http://www.rolls-europe.com/PDF/30h108.pdf>

My understanding is that Surette-Rolls batteries offer an exceptionally
long service life, but are not well suited to higher discharge rates.
They are heavier and more expensive than similar size batteries from the
usual (Trojan, USBMC, etc.) sources.

For instance, their 225Ah golf car (GC2) size 6V flooded is heavier than
a T105 (74lbs) and delivers 414min reserve.  A T105 weighs 62lbs and
delivers 447min reserve.

The 30H108 Surette model in question most closely matches the Trojan
SCS150 marine battery, which is rated 100Ah, and delivers 150min
reserve.  The Trojan 30XHS (a BCI group 30 battery, I believe), is rated
130Ah and delivers 225min reserve, yet weighs just 66lbs vs the
Surette's 72lbs.

That the Surette spec sheet doesn't show discharge rates higher than the
C/1 rate (39A) is a warning sign that this model is not well suited to
high rate discharge.  Comparing to the US Battery lineup, a near match
is the 50lb US27TM at 105Ah C/20 and 155min reserve.  This little
battery is rated 51Ah C/1 vs the 72lb Surette's 39Ah.

Hello Steven,

I also have a Warp 9 motor and Trojan batteries.  Otmar told me to set it up
as the following which will be proportional to your 23 batteries of 138 volt
if you are not racing:

BA, Battery Amp = 300
LBV, Low Battery Volt = 115 (which is 5 volts per battery)
LBVI, Low Battery Volt Indicator = 120 (is when a indicator comes on)

Motor Amp,  = 800 ( this is maximum for a very short time, normal
                    running amp is 199 amps continuous)
Motor Volts, = can be set below, at or higher than the battery volta. The
motor volts will normally be lower than the battery volts.

You can set it at the motor label voltage and the motor may never see that
voltage with a Zilla.

I find in my EV, the motor volts will be about 50 volts at 200 amps while
the battery volt is 200 volts at 50 amps in any gear at any rpm below 60
mph.  Above 60 mph in final gear, the motor volts is about the same as the
battery volts and the battery ampere is about 250 amps while the motor amps
is 270 amps.

> I have an older Warp 9 (serial number 2) in my Mazda
> 2600 truck, powered by an older Zilla (serial # 6, the
> ones without hairballs) and (23) Trojan T125s.  There
> will eventually be 24 Trojans in it.  Any suggestions
> what to set the max motor voltage to?  What about max
> battery amps?
>
> I looked on Netgain's web site, but all I could find
> is that it's a 72V motor.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> - Steven Ciciora

> http://mail.yahoo.com

is fiberglas OK? It would be a good solution for me, maybe others...

JF

Lee Hart wrote:

Contactors produce heat and get hot. If you put them in a plastic box without ventilation, they may melt their own ventilation holes!

Hey Steve

I'd say somewhere between 150 to 160 volts, over that
and you'll be getting into the flashover voltage 8^(

I'll leave the battery stuff to others 8^)

Anyway hope this helps
Cya

Hello everybody:

Come summer, I always have the problem with an overheating DCP-1200
controller. I asked for some advise before, but haven't found any solution
yet. Here's my problem:

With outside temps. >= 80 degrees, I can't pull more then about 150
battery amps through the controller for any time >= 10 minutes without the
red control LED coming on. The fan works just fine, I even installed a
auxiliary blower so that the controller gets fresh air from below the car,
but it doesn't make a difference. The other day the red led came on but,
since I had to make it home, I reduced amps to about 75 A and limped home,
I let the truck sit in the driveway with power on, fans blowing, but even
after 1/2 hour, the overheat light was solid red.

I took the controller out of the truck today - thinking that maybe a wasp
had built a home-site in it, but nothing. Some dust, but nothing serious.

So - what else might be the problem? Any suggestions are welcome.

Michaela

My former Think Neighbor is for sale.  It needs a battery but otherwise is
in good shape. It has the plastic wind breakers.   Does anone have a
Motorcraft battery used that might make the pack respond.  One battery is a
stinker and started smoking the other day according to the current owner.
I'll get over to inspect it later today.  Lawrence Rhodes....

Richard Krog wrote:
Hi, new to the list.

I have an opportunity to buy an electric truck that was converted as a
prototype over 10 years ago.  It has been sitting in a garage unused ever
since.  I am trying to determine a fair market price.  Here are the specs:

Motor: Advanced DC FB1-4001
Controller: Curtis 1231C (500A)
Batteries: 20 new 12V PbA Deka DC31DT (2 parallel strings of 10)
Body: 1994 Ford Ranger short cab, short bed (1,800 miles - spotless and
looks like it came through a time machine)
DC/DC: Curtis 72v/12v (tapping only 6 batteries)
Transmission: ICE manual 5-speed
Brakes: OEM with vacuum pump
On board Charger: Zivan NG-1
Garage charger: Lester 120v/20Amp metal-metal connector
Steering: Switch-enabled electric
Suspension: Additional rear leaf-springs
Tires: Stock

This is a pretty good set of parts. The only obvious weakness is that the Zivan charger will probably ruin the Deka batteries from overcharging (if they aren't ruined already). Tapping the pack to run the DC/DC is also a poor idea, but easily fixed.

Any thought on a fair price?

Price is anything negotiated between buyer and seller. You could get an idea what it's worth by adding up the cost of the above item. Subtract from this for items that are bad or that you won't use (bad batteries, wrong DC/DC). Add to this for things that are well done or that you would have to pay someone to do (like the basic conversion itself).

Secondly, my State Farm rep claims they cannot insure the vehicle.
Does anyone have experience insuring an EV in Pennsylvania?

My EV is insured with State Farm. I've had at least 4 EVs insured with them over the years, in NY, MI, and now MN.