  1) Re: Buying new batteries, maybe more
        by "Matt Kenigson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) DC/DC Interference near contactors?
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Lithium batteries & safety
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DC/DC Interference near contactors?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Are Pusher Trailers Legal?
  8) Re: Last Call  Lee Hart Battery balancer mail thread
  9) What is up with the rash of illegal message formats recently?
 10) RE: PNW Converting to Electric Lawn Mower
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) A123 connections
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: A123 connections
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: A123 connections
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Batteries, D+DRe: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Last Call  Lee Hart Battery balancer mail thread
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: CURTIS CONTROLLER FIRES - AMMETER ACCURACY    was  Re: fuse size
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Forklift Motor Choice
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: EMIS (was Converting my F-150)
        by "David Hrivnak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: KillaCycle pack voltage (was: Killacycle in DesignFax online
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: "largish" brushless motors available

> You know, it always happens. People bash a corporation for doing
> something wrong and those 'defenders of the marketplace' come in
> and accuse us of being conspiracy theorists.
So the alternative is that I'm somehow part of GM's huge conspiracy. :(
Pardon me if I don't run out to buy the viewpoint you're trying so hard
to sell.

Look, this is simple -- don't try so hard to sell your story
(conspiracy?)... let your vehicle do the talking. When enough of us
display and promote actual performance, not the theory, no amount of
conspiracy will quiet the truth. Deliver a BEV that competes well with
an ICE on the same footing -- don't test preferentially on metrics that
favor the BEV as a new-comer; test realistically on general metrics,
acknowledging that the ICE has wider acceptance, and that the population
will inevitable consider your BEV in the context of their ICEs. Embrace
that and celebrate it when (not if!) your BEV beats the ICE on its own
field, with its own numbers. Prove supremacy with the numbers available
today, not speculations for tomorrow.

Talking amongst ourselves about how we've been beaten and conspired
against doesn't help advance BEVs much, but it does marginalize our BEV
cause. Instead of apologizing for or explaining away past failures,
let's move on and celebrate current successes. White Zombie and
KillaCycle, as well as Tesla and Phoenix, all these current successes
are pushing the right direction... but some folks on this list are so
thoroughly attached to past issues (grudges against GM are negative
attachments!) that we seem fixated.

I'm anxiously awaiting further successes of EVs, and busily dismissing
conspiracies of ANY kind (positive or negative) in the meantime.

Randii

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Will a IOTA DC/DC converter pick up noise from a zilla or contactors, heater relay in close proximity. I was considering a large long, vented box with all the components. If noise is an issue which components need to be separated if any? How far?

--- Begin Message --- The small amount of organic solvent electrolyte inside an A123 cell is flammable. If you have a spark after the cell has started to vent, and there is the correct mixture of solvent vapor with the surrounding air, you will set the solvent on fire. Inside a battery box, this won't happen because there is not enough air and the mixture will likely be too "rich" to ignite. If it does ignite, the available air will be used up quickly, and the flames with extinguish.

Ken is correct. The energy in the cell is large enough that things in the circuit can get very hot, perhaps even turn to plasma. The amount of energy in relationship to the weight of the cell is what you are striving for, but that also means that the cell can get quite hot if you manage to dump all that energy as heat back into the cell itself.

The A123 cells can take a higher temperature than any Li-Ion cell that I have ever heard of, and they simply vent if you go to too high of a temperature (like 120 C)

The system is about as safe as you can make it while holding that much energy in a package that small.

        Bill Dube'

At 07:15 AM 4/19/2007, you wrote:
One thing to keep in mind, if you connect a piece of wire across any relatively unyielding power source, the wire will catch fire. If the wire (nail) happens to be inside the battery, it will still catch fire. Pretty much anything will burn if it is hot enough, but, that does not necessarily mean that the batteries are just teetering on edge of bursting into flames. Perspectively, putting a match to a battery is not quite as likely to catch fire as putting a match to gasoline. It is in deed necessary to know the characteristic hazards of anything we use, but, I feel it is unrealistic to expect to store substantial amounts of energy, in any form, with no hazards.

Ken

I have a couple of cast aluminum EV1 rotors at work, I'm not sure if
they're what made it into production though or if they were just
rotors used on the impact or other prototypes.

On 4/19/07, Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Solectria used Lincoln Motors (now Marathon) and were die cast
aluminum.  I would have lost a bet on EV1.  I never saw the inside of
one, but am surprised GM would stand for the cost of a copper rotor.

 I have used both copper and aluminum.  And for the cost difference,
I would go aluminum.  The cost is primarily in fabrication.  The
Copper Development Association has been busy funding research in die
casting copper rotors.  And I have seen some reports of progress.  But
I don't think any of the major players in the NEMA line of induction
motors offer copper rotors at this time in the size machine at issue
here.

 I wonder what Siemens and MES use.  This Brusa rotor looks like Aluminum.

 http://www.metricmind.com/index1.htm  See photo 3 under Brusa motor details.

 And BTW, I have a 1934 text showing a photo of a die cast aluminum
rotor (Reliance Electric and Engineering Company).  Probably not used
by Nikola Tesla, but in his lifetime.

 Jeff
--
www.electric-lemon.com

You get a rookie response first; let's see if I get it
right:

The higher the current, the higher the EMF.
Therefore, keep your 2.0 welding cable routed away
from low voltage, low current, and you should be fine.

EMF falls off fairly quickly, but I'd use 10 cm if
possible as a good rule of thumb...

--- Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Will a IOTA DC/DC converter pick up noise from a
> zilla or contactors,
> heater relay  in close proximity. I was considering
> a large long,
> vented box with all the components. If noise is an
> issue which
> components need to be separated if any? How far?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

There was a discussion about this on the list a few months back.
The answer is "it depends". It depends on your state and in some cases
depends on how you register it.
Some states allow the trailer to push and some don't.  Of those that
don't, some have a special class of utility vehicle, or something similar,
that is allowed to push.
Basically, you'll have to check the state laws where you want to register it.

> I had some time ago created a wikipedia article about pusher trailers.
> You can read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusher_trailer
> There is also a related Genset_trailer... (That's for another thread)
>
> In the past few days someone had created a new "Baset Trailer" about
> a trailer full of batteries, which doesn't seem to actually be in use
> and so may be removed.  Anyway, this got me to thinking that I should
> preemptively assert that the same were not true for Pusher & Genset
> trailers.  This seems to have got some discussion going on those
> articles Discussion or Talk pages, the one that most concerns me is
> Athol's contention that a "Pusher trailer" may not actually be legal?
>
> I would very much appreciate the thoughts and comments of the members
> of this list to either rebut or verify that this is in fact the case.
>
> Here is a copy of the Talk page for the Pusher Trailer article...
>
> L8r
>  Ryan (--D0li0)
>
> For the record, I contend that this article is not WP:OR as apparent by
> WP:SET due to 1230 google hits. Such trailers are discussed in Battery
> electric vehicle (BEV) forums, and used by numerous EV converters. There
> is a photo of at least one such device in the article itself, is that
> proof enough of it's existence and use? --D0li0 07:20, 19 April 2007
>
> * I haven't made comment on this article to date, as I have been
> awaiting an official response from a US government department to confirm
> that the entire design is totally illegal there. I already have
> confirmation from the UK Department of Transport and know that they are
> an illegal vehicle type under UN-ECE regulations, which cover most of
> the world outside the USA. Hence, while not necessarily original
> research, they're probably not legal on the road anywhere in the world.
> --Athol Mullen 11:26, 19 April 2007 (UTC)

Would this be better/easier if we had a web based order form that
interested folks could fill out and submit?
Something that included all of the possible options and a brief
description of what they do.

I'd be happy to create the form and host it, if it would help.

> yes, same here.
> just need an amount, name, address.
> I'm going with the kit option.
> temp sensing is a must!
> I have 10+1 12v gel cells so I'll need two relay
> boards.
>
> regards
>
> Brian B.
>
> --- John RA Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/07 7:01 AM, "John RA Benson"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm happy to cough up a down payment to verify
>> interest/confirm order and get
>> > the ball rolling. Just need to know how much $ and
>> where to send the dough.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > JRAB

>> place the order. I have sent
>> interested.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Is the list miss-marking these, or are we having a terminal case of folks
not following the rules?

Stand,

I like the Schumacher 1.5 amp charger (or equivalent) but it is not
cheap anymore.  Look at E-bay number 140107596426 for an example, around
$35 shipped to you.  You may prefer a larger charger.  I use this on an
Optima in a travel trailer to keep it charged.  It has a light to show
you when it is connected to the outlet, and another to show when the
battery is charged.  In another application, I kept one plugged in
constantly to keep a car sized battery charged, and had good luck for
many years (I need to borrow this charger back from my in-laws) and have
a newer one in the garage from E-bay purchased for about $25 including
shipping.  I have used a 12v wall-wart style power supply, about 1 amp
or less, to charge a battery, but you have to manually disconnect it,
and do not know when the battery is charged.  However, a larger charger,
with more "smarts" inside, will give the battery a fuller charge, and
make it last longer than such a slow charge each time.

Alan

From: "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Excellent GM Volt video
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:58:23 -0400

>Why is it that when people speak up vigorously everyone
>calls it 'ranting'?

         Maybe because yours are. We are suppose to discuss
EV's, how to build, run, not the political aspects other
than a mention. Where you keep droning on to makes it a
rant.
         And whether or not the Auto companies want to build
EV's or not has little bearing on why they are not made as
many others could if they like. It's not brain surgery.
         Now add to the fact you have bought the myth that
we need better batteries show how well their propangda
works.
         Regular, inexpensive, cost effective batteries are
here now. They are called golf cart batteries and made of
lead!! With them and only them can you beat an ICE in cost.
So you just need to build an EV that maximizes the CG
batteries which is the only real missing EV problem.
         While my version will do 100 mile average range,
the new Sunrise may get as much as 175 mile range on GC
batteries as both can hold well over 55% battery weight. How
we do it is by having a very light body/chassis with low
drag aero shapes. Of course the Sunrise's 377 mile record on
NiMH isn't anything to sneeze at. At least instead of
bitching, Lee, myself, Tesla, others  doing the main things
we need, low drag built as EV's.
         Once the Li batts come into reasonable price the
range can either go up or use a lighter pack. But to be
honest, over 100-150 mile range in an EV for most people is
a waste when just a small 10kw generator can give unlimited
range at about 100 mpg.

>Oh as far as the Prius goes... do you think they'd sell
>better if they didn't look like a shoebox? I do. The only
>reason I would buy one is because it is a Hybrid.. it looks
>terrible to me. There is no earthly reason those cars have
>to look like putt putt mobiles. If they put some styling
>into them they'd sell a lot better. Maybe they should talk
>to Lotus!

       Now that take b---s to say they could sell more Prii
when they can't produce enough for demand!! It's a larger,
more luxurious car than a GTI and driven the same way and
especially in stop and go traffic where the Prius runs just
as a series hybrid, will outdo the TDI easily. Kind of
screws with those who say series hybrids are not eff. BTW I
drive a Rabbit Diesel which gets as good mileage as the TDI,
maybe better. And many like the Prius' looks. So much better
than the boring cars we have had the last 15 yrs you can't
tell apart and nicely aerodynamic..
         D+D is the same people who started, then a couple
yrs ago sold, ADC and who started building motor just for us
EV'ers when everyone else either irnored or refused to help
us so we should support them too. They kept the 6.7" line
and will build one anyway you want, shunt, sep ex or series
and probably compound too. They are identical to the ADC
6.7". I'm using an ES-31 or L91 in my EV, the same with mods
KillaCycle uses.

                              Jerry Dycus

>As far as uptake goes.. the PHEV -will- be the next
>revolution mate. You watch. The reason the Prius hybrid is
>not being grabbed by the hordes and masses are twofold:
>
>1) Its pretty homely
>2) It does not plug in and its mileage is only slightly
>better than MUCH better looking small cars. In fact, I have
>a Golf TDI that gets mileage that is -better- than the
>Prius.
>
>If it (a) looked cool and/or (b) plugged in they'd get a
>HUGE boost in sales.
>
>--T

This sounds good ,,How many people do we have ?
Steve Clunn 1

> From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2007/04/19 Thu PM 08:52:10 EDT
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: Re: Last Call  Lee Hart Battery balancer mail thread
>
> Would this be better/easier if we had a web based order form that
> interested folks could fill out and submit?
> Something that included all of the possible options and a brief
> description of what they do.
>
> I'd be happy to create the form and host it, if it would help.
>
> > yes, same here.
> > just need an amount, name, address.
> > I'm going with the kit option.
> > temp sensing is a must!
> > I have 10+1 12v gel cells so I'll need two relay
> > boards.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Brian B.
> >
> > --- John RA Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> interest/confirm order and get
> >> where to send the dough.

> >> place the order. I have sent
> >> interested.

> > http://mail.yahoo.com
> >

> --
> If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
> junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I
> wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
> legalistic signature is void.

But... I think both have their advantages and disadvantages.
LiFePo4  vs Lead
    1500-2000 cycles (to 80% capacity)                         vs
300-500 cycles (to dead)
    Less cold weather capacity lost     more reduced cold weather
operation (ok, both need a heater, can't charge cold li-ion safely)
    less pukerts effect                           more pukerts effect

    and most importantly, weight.
       [EMAIL PROTECTED] is
        about 400LBs   vs    about 1100lbs

   I think the weight issue is the most dramatic, since it effects the
"energy required" side of the equation.

If we were talking about large format cells I think, not
coincidentially, we would see lead 4 times the weight of lithium.

I have never tried this. What if we took $lb/wh  Would we come up with a
cross-chemistry constant?
     ie .33 * 400 = 132 and .08 * 1100 = 88 . (Lead still wins!)

And someone will chime in with cyclelife adjustment.
If the two vehicles get the same wh/mile

.33 vs .32(4*.08)   Ok now we are getting somewhere.

I think the combining of the reduced weight and longer cycle life will
eventually push us in this direction.
$/mile is gonna be like the timeslips at the dragstrips!

Its not that easy to blow a ev fuse If your batteries are low or if the short
is not a good ( or bad) short it won't pull enough current to blow the fuse.
also when ( yes I didn't say if ) the curtis blowes it send full power to the
motor but with the motor spinning its not enough of a load ... Ok I shouldn't
make fun of the curtis controller as they carried me around for many years and
I'm still using one in my lawn mower , when I hit reply and got the below
message and not your post
 Steve Clunn

> From: robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2007/04/19 Thu AM 02:55:28 EDT
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: CURTIS CONTROLLER FIRES - AMMETER ACCURACY    was  Re: fuse size

> *         ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED---            *
> *     This post contains a forbidden message format       *
> *  (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting)  *
> *       Lists at  sjsu.edu only accept PLAIN TEXT         *
> * If your postings display this message your mail program *
> * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting  *

Can anyone comment on a motor choice such as this,
http://forkenswift.com/baker-12-in-motor.html

Would this be appropriate for a 4 speed manuel rear wheel drive car? Can
anyone comment on the availability of a motor like this? What kind of
size equipment it can be found in? What might I pay for a motor like
this at a salvage yard? Would it be useful to get a controller with it
or would that be to small? Thanks for your help.
Paul

From: "Lee Hart"
I suspect it won't be long before I see one cast with pot metal (random scrap)
because aluminum is getting expensive.

joe wrote:
LOL - I don't think so, Lee! Diecast (pot metal) doesn't have very
good electrical properties, and the casting in the rotors has to have
that!

Consumers have *no* idea of the efficiency of the electric motors they buy. They buy on price. If a pot metal rotor is cheaper, someone in China or Mexico or India will start selling cheaper motors that are "only 10% less efficient", and American companies will snap them up.

I've seen the blower motors in residential furnaces go from 80% to 75% and now 70% as furnace manufacturer keep squeezing more and more cost out of the motors. The electricity used by the motor doesn't count toward the efficiency of a gas furnace, so they can make it as low as they like. It's become the norm to run these motors at high slip, to save the cost of a speed controller or multipole windings.