  1) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: darn press!
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Lithium batteries (was: Re: Excellent GM Volt video)
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Last Call  Lee Hart Battery balancer mail thread
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DC/DC Interference near contactors?
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Electric lawn mower
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Beefing-up the DCDC on CivicWithACord!
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Breaking in a new pack
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Lithium batteries & safety
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 71 VW Micro Bus
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Killacycle comes to the Wayland Invitational III
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) The 1993  Eagle : Summit EV's on E-bay
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Last Call  Lee Hart Battery balancer mail thread
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV APU (genset) emissions & FE
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Friday funny...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Marathon M12V105FT batteries any good?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: 71 VW Micro Bus
        by "Jo Prichard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: PNW Converting to Electric Lawn Mower
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 71 VW Micro Bus
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) EV in Forbidden Planet?
        by David Sharpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: 71 VW Micro Bus
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: PNW Converting to Electric Lawn Mower
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: 71 VW Micro Bus
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) RE: Forklift Motor Choice
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Jeff wrote:

Maybe someday we will see a distributor.

Does this not count?

http://www.a123racing.com/images/horizon-sign.jpg

http://www.horizonhobby.com/

I got to show my truck for an hour, plan to have it
there Saturday as well.

--- MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yeah if you pay the extra for the $20 battery
> brusher it'll last 80,000 miles.  ;-P
>
> I think the guy got confused with the motor brushes.
>  Those electric "engines" are diffucult things to
> understand ;-)
> But at least they start at 40 below, right?
>
> That guy from the paper called me yesterday but I
> was out of the office.  Looks like he wasted no time
> in going to press.
>
> So Mike, How is the Festival up there going in
> general?  Sounds like there's a lot of info being
> focused on.  Are you getting any face time with
> people on your truck?
>
> Mike,
> Anchorage, Ak.

Ian wrote:

400kg worth of those would be approaching 100kWh!

Holy smokes think of the range!

I think the situation with the car companies and EV's is exactly like
the computer hard drive market.

Why release the biggest model first?  Think about how hard drives
increase just a little at a time and are still the 3.5" form factor.

I remember an article a good year or more ago announcing new 250, 500,
and 750 gig hard drives.  The 250's came right out.  Took quite some
time for the 500's to appear. I'm not sure how long the 750's have
been out.  Think about all the hard drive sizes over the years..
10gig, 20, 40, 60, 75, 80, 100, 120, 160, 180...

OEM EV's will be the same way.  Here's the Volt with 40 whole miles
range.  The next years model will have 50 or 60?  Then 70 or 80 or
jump right to 100?  When the reality is that we could have a 1,000
mile range EV TODAY if they'd only put the big pack together and build
it.  A123 really should consider banging together a high mileage
conversion as a proof of concept.  Take a Vette or Mustang and make it
run 9's.  You want range?  You want performance?  A123 delivers.

The Tesla is interesting.  Will it EVER have any more
range/performance then it currently does?  How will they change up
each years new model?

Steve wrote -

> This sounds good ,,How many people do we have ?
> Steve Clunn

I've ordered a set from Lee. I have 30 Bats, so with each relay board hooking
up to a max of 8 batteries, I'll need 4 relay boards and one control board.

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org
www.Airphibian.com

From: Lucile Beatty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: 71 VW Micro Bus
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:47:09 -0700 (PDT)

>Does anyone have experience with a conversion on a 71 VW
>Micro Bus - If so what is your advise. Thanks
>Cile

Sounds like a great idea Peter.

Is it possible that you can make the form so that it notifies Lee automatically
once the order is filled out? And of course a downpayment should be part of the
process

It maybe that Lee will be overwhelmed with orders... heh, heh. Wouldn't that be
great! And it might bring down the piece price.

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org
www.Airphibian.com

From: "Lee Hart"
I suspect it won't be long before I see one cast with pot metal (random scrap)
because aluminum is getting expensive.

joe wrote:
LOL - I don't think so, Lee! Diecast (pot metal) doesn't have very
good electrical properties, and the casting in the rotors has to have
that!

Consumers have *no* idea of the efficiency of the electric motors they buy. They buy on price. If a pot metal rotor is cheaper, someone in China or Mexico or India will start selling cheaper motors that are "only 10% less efficient", and American companies will snap them up.

I've seen the blower motors in residential furnaces go from 80% to 75% and now 70% as furnace manufacturer keep squeezing more and more cost out of the motors. The electricity used by the motor doesn't count toward the efficiency of a gas furnace, so they can make it as low as they like. It's become the norm to run these motors at high slip, to save the cost of a speed controller or multipole windings.

Alan Brinkman wrote:
I like the Schumacher 1.5 amp charger... (or equivalent) but it is not
cheap anymore.  Look at E-bay number 140107596426 for an example

I have one of these, and have tested it. Be aware that this is a "blinkinlight" charger that cycles on/off forever, rather than staying at some float voltage. It charges until the battery rises to 14.8v; then shuts off until it falls to 13.6v, and repeats forever.

This is a very simple algorithm that is one step better than a true trickle charger that never shuts off at all; but it will nevertheless overcharge a battery and cause it to use water (slowly) if left on it continuously.

Stand Culp wrote:
I am looking for both an automotive starter motor, and a deep cycle
12V battery to power the mower.

A starter motor is a poor choice. They aren't meant to be used for more than a few seconds at a time, and will quickly overheat if you try to run it continuously. They also wear out very quickly, because their bearings and brushes aren't built to last more than an hour or so total running time.

I'd suggest looking for a golf cart motor, or perhaps a surplus 24v or 36v industrial motor. I bought one from ABC Electronics in Minneapolis for $100 to convert a Wheel Horse garden tractor, and it worked quite well.

pondering where I can get an inexpensive deep cycle bat that'd be
adequate to the job and thinking someone on the list (and in the
> Portland/Vancouver area) might have BOTH that I could scrounge.

That's certainly possible. If you do some experimenting, you can often find "bad" lead-acid batteries that there is nothing wrong with that a good equalizing charge, or recasting a terminal can't fix.

Or, you can find old batteries that someone just blindly replaces every few years. Or, a complete pack out of an EV that is being replaced when only a few of them in the string are bad.

A garden tractor is pretty easy on batteries (Steve Clunn's excepted), so you can often use batteries that aren't good enough for other uses.

--- Begin Message --- I recently revisited this 1950s Sci Fi. Is the utility driven at high speed by Robbie supposed to be an EV? This movie has some interesting concepts for those who have not seen it before. David
Jo Prichard wrote:
Is it viable to convert a Kombi to an EV (cause they are beasts!)
and if it's an option, generally what size engine would one need
for it to be able to handle small hills and have a top speed of
40miles/hr?

The older VW vans have been used for many conversions because they are strong and light for the amount of payload they can carry, and fairly easy to convert.

As you point out, they have a aerodynamics of a brick, and so are poor at high speed. Another factor is that builders use most or all of the van's load-carrying capacity for batteries, so it is no longer a truck suitable for carrying lots of cargo or people. Safety is also a concern, as they have very little crash protection.

Your 40 mph top speed would not be a problem -- wind resistance is not a big factor. It is not hard to put a big enough motor in it to climb hills at a respectable speed. Your main challenge will be the tradeoff between range and load-carrying capacity -- if you need long range (say, 30-50 miles on a charge), you need around 1500 lbs of batteries, which results in a 2-passenger vehicle. The van will look empty (1500 lbs of batteries is only about 11" x 42" x 40") but no load capacity left. Cut the battery pack weight in half, and you have some load capacity -- but range is only 15-25 miles.

VW microbus went cross country in the 1968 Great Electric Car race, Caltech
against MIT.  It had 2000lb of lead acid batteries.  BTW, Caltech won.

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 04:08:08 -0500, jerryd wrote
> Hi Lucile and All,
>               Microbus' are good EV gliders being fairly
> light, carries a lot of weight for batteries and low cost,
> EV parts readily available. With a few mods, can be fairly
> aerodynamic too so you can get reasonable range at higher
> speeds. It's better than any other Van, SUV choice and many
> car gliders too.
>               VW bugs are great under 50 mph EV's as their
> aero is fairly bad, the Karman Ghia makes a great EV for
> higher speeds.
>               VW just did an old microbus as an EV in SF
> area using Kokam Li-ion batteries, not something we can
> afford but gets 100 mile range. I suggest golf cart lead
> batts for the best life, cost for your $.
>                With a little more info on your uses, speed,
> range needed, place you will use it, we could make a better
> choice.
>                                  Jerry Dycus

joe wrote:
The point, Lee, was not efficiency - it was that it wouldn't work!

Oh, but it *will* work! Class C and D motors deliberately add rotor resistance to reduce their starting current and increase starting torque. They accept the lower efficiency.

There are already induction motors that use the iron core itself as their rotor "windings" to save money. The rotor is just a solid slug of iron. They are common for small instrumentation and fan motors where no one cares about efficiency. My old Teac tape recorder uses two of them as the reel motors (direct drive, too).