  2) RE: EMIS (was Converting my F-150)
        by Pete Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Bronco II EV prospects
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4)
        by "Miller, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: (something in Orlando?)
        by Dave Oliveria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Marathon M12V105FT batteries any good?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: What is up with the rash of illegal message formats recently?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Electric lawn mower
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: PNW Converting to Electric Lawn Mower
        by "Dave Wilker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED, was Re: (something in Orlando?)
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Lithium batteries with 600 - 700W per kg
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Lithium batteries- now economies of scale
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: The 1993 Eagle : Summit EV's on E-bay
        by Wayne Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Beefing-up the DCDC on CivicWithACord!
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Excellent GM Volt video
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Canned Response Letter from GM on the Volt
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Silly Tweety!
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Canned Response Letter from GM on the Volt
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: darn press!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Silly Tweety!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Re: Lithium batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Lithium batteries- now economies of scale
the reason so many people use gasoline is that it packs a lot of energy into an
easy portable liquid at a low price.  From what I can tell 1 gallon of gas
holds the same energy as about 800 lbs of lead batteries.  So if your Bronco
gets 15 mpg expect a range of about 19 miles with 1000 lbs of batteries.   That
is why so many EV's are small fuel efficient cars.

from what I can figure a  standard 2x4 ft. Solar panel on a good day, with good
orientation will generate aboutbas much energy as about a cup of gas.  So
rarely does it pay to put on solar panels.

via Treo
David Hrivnak

From:   "David Hrivnak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject:        RE: EMIS (was Converting my F-150)
Date:   Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:36:05 -0400

The project is in it's early stages and is designed to
be plug and
play.
There have been two vehicles converted and the in dyno
testing they
have
gotten better than a 26% improvement in gas mileage.
So we are
hopeful.

They have also converted a few UPS and FedEx trucks
for which it works
well.  Right now I am told there will be prototype
motors available
that
fit in pickups/SUV's in about 2 months.  So I can let
you know in 4
months how it is working.

I have started keeping a log of my conversion and it
is in it's early
stages. www.hrivnak.com click on Hybrid. I have the
battery boxes
deigned and installed along with one string of
batteries.  I will have
two strings of 12V AGM batteries, one down each side
of the truck.  I
have the trickle charger about to be installed and the
main charge
should be in two weeks

As for cost Netgain says they are targeting an under
4000 conversion.
Personally I do not see how I can do mine for under
$6000.  Now I know
on my conversion I am spending extra on R&D and tend
to be paying for
extra quality and extra batteries.  Most tests have
been on a 4 battery
48 volt system while I will have a 12 batteries and
72V, so I am hoping
for even more improvement.

If gas prices rise above $3.50 and this in-line motor
concept does
deliver a 26 or better gain in mpg and we can get the
conversion under
$4000 they will sell like hot cakes.  We think it is
possible but need
the hard numbers and a few test cases.

We recently made a seven day trip around Arizona towing a travel
trailer.  I had the same idea, lots of RV parks spread around, some 60
miles apart, some further, some closer.  Lots of electrical outlets.
Now for the coast to coast electric vehicle / RV park recharging rally.
Bring your best electric vehicle, your charger, your laptop (wireless
internet at the campground?), your tent, etc....

Alan

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 05:36:51 -0500
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Lithium batteries- now economies of scale

john fisher wrote:
> Well when someone can figure out why a toaster oven costs the same as a
> hard drive, please explain it to all of us.

I did! :-)

List the materials. Weigh them. Add up the cost of the materials. You'll
find that since both are mass produced in very large quantities, both
essentially cost what their raw materials dictate. R&D is negligible
because it's averaged over millions of units. Labor is negligible
because they are made by automation (or at slave wages).

> If you were offered jobs at Exide and A123 which would you take?

A123 would be more fun, but they'll probably be out of business in a few
years. Their "hot new product" will be replaced next year by some
competitor's hotter newer product.

Exide would be boring, but more stable. They have been around 100 years,
and so is more likely to last another 100 (if their executives don't rob
the company blind and outsource everything to China).