  1) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EV in Forbidden Planet?
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: 'largish' brushless motors available
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "Alan Gideon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: CLUTCH BUTTON SWITCH
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: PNW Converting to Electric Lawn Mower
        by Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Excellent GM Volt video, and other stuff.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: "A123 propably out of buisness in a few years"
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: A123 connections
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Charging across USA  Was Re: Bronco II EV prospects
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: "A123 propably out of buisness in a few years"
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Issues involved in a controller bypass?  (ForkenSwift)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) A123Systems, probably out of Biz in a few years
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: PNW Converting to Electric Lawn Mower
        by "Stand Culp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: A123 connections
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: [EV] RE: Issues involved in a controller bypass?  (ForkenSwift)
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: CLUTCH BUTTON SWITCH ON S-10??  Re: new S-10e?
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: An Electravan Shame story.  Happy ending!
        by "Mark K. Mellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Issues involved in a controller bypass?  (ForkenSwift)
        by "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: A123Systems, probably out of Biz in a few years
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) BYU Electric Talk
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: DC-DC convertor
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Issues involved in a controller bypass?  (ForkenSwift)
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- You know, I had to throw in some real-world pessimism on how the EV would pay out over the next 10 yrs.

One, a lot of cars don't make it to 10 yrs. Might get in an accident and get it all smashed up, or it gets stolen or stripped. OK right now no thief would knowingly try to steal an EV today but we're talking widespread use. There's some economic benefit to having a more disposable car.

Now knowing how freakin greedy car thieves are, they'll cause $3000 damage to rip out a stereo that pawns for $100. Every few weeks some dumbass gets in the news for electrocuting himself trying to take down power lines for their recycling value. With widespread EV use, I do see a problem. If nickel is $23/lb, that's way more than copper or aluminum and the recycling value should be pretty darn high. You don't need to find a buyer for scrap metal like you would for a complete battery.

The danger of stripping seems pretty apparent to me. I mean nobody steals your engine if you leave your car on the curb in a bad neighborhood. It takes too long and putting it in a new car is an extensive job too so there aren't that many buyers. If there's a motor which is worth $500 on the scrap market and takes 10 min to remove between disabling the security system, pop the hood, unbolt the batt terminals and unbolt the motor, that thing could be gone in a flash. Batts too. This is more profitable than stealing airbags and stereos. I mean not getting it stripped over 10 yrs of parking at the airport, Wal-Mart, apartment, etc might be a trick.

Don't tell me that if you had an EV and drooled at the idea of doubling your range with more NiMH packs, and see NiMH powered EVs unattended all over the place every day that this evil thought wouldn't at least cross your mind. "Oooh I know that model, just think, 7 min with a socket set and I could be gone with the entire pack. No wait, I'd just cut the holddowns and be gone in 5 min." I assume nobody here would actually do it, but there'd be somebody who would be capable of it.

Then of course, you get the nickel back when you recycle the battery at its end of life. A dead nicad or nimh battery is pretty valuable just for its scrap metal!

>> I recently revisited this 1950s Sci Fi.  Is the utility driven at high
>> speed by Robbie supposed to be an EV? This movie has some interesting
>> concepts for those who have not seen it before. David
>>

>> Yeah! Great movie! I'm guessing that the battery issue had been solved
>>
> in their depiction of the future? Great little EV's running loose there
> in the movie. The Krell Power House was big enough to handle ALL the EV's
> on their planet!
>
> Just give Robbie a A123 cell and ask him for several hundred more!!
> Bob

Sure, EVs work great in SF. Back here on Earth, you can see the cable that
tows the vehicle across the stage, however. <vbg> You gotta love that
corny old SF stuff.

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
There are already induction motors that use the iron core itself as
their rotor "windings" to save money. The rotor is just a solid slug of
iron.

I thought the ones with solid iron rotors were "Reluctance motors" not
"Inductance motors"

There are several names. If the solid iron core is "hard", i.e. magnetizable, then it is a hysteresis motor. This is a cheap form of synchronous motor that doesn't have any expensive magnets.

If it's a soft iron core that won't magnetize, then you get an inefficient induction motor. It has higher slip than usual, but more starting torque and lower starting current. A good example is the reel motor on the Teac tape deck I mentioned; it runs at essentially stall most of the time, and is just generating torque to keep the tape wound up on the take-up reel. But during fast forward or rewind, it runs at near synchronous speed. It's a nice simple system with no belts or gears -- but not not very efficient.

joe wrote:
I still doubt that diecast will work in a rotor - I'll have to see it to believe it, Lee!

I *guarantee* it will work!

If you want proof, take apart any old induction motor you have lying around. Replace the rotor with a solid slug of iron. It will still run -- just at lower speed and efficiency.

I'm not familiar with the spring geometry or type on your truck, but
increasing the spring rate is definitely the right way to go.  Lift blocks
are primary for increasing the gap between the body and the ground, for
four-wheeling and the like.  Lift bags will be more expensive than added
leaf segments, and extra leaves will never leak air or require a compressor.

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: April 21, 2007 12:48:08 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: A123 connections

On Thu, April 19, 2007 2:31 pm, Osmo S. wrote:
These cells are usually connected by soldering or welding, but how
about just using the good old spring technique, common in many smaller battery-powered devices (flashlights etc)? Or why not just press the cell
ends against each other?  That way you could easily remove single bad
cells from the pack.
Osmo

The only reasons I can think of are cost, corrosion and extra resistance.

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 01:35:54PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> HI-
> I've done this on several vehicles.
> Give me a call 206 255 8459

why dont you post it to the list?I am doing almost the same conversion as
Darin and would like to know.

thanks.

--
Eduardo K.            |
http://www.carfun.cl  | Freedom's just another word

robert mat writes:

> I have a GM Sierra S-15. There is a button switch on
> the clutch pedal, which you can see only if you look
> up, into the dashboard area. What does (or did) this
> button do?

Robert,

My Geo Prizm has a similar switch that prevents the starter
from running unless the clutch is pressed.  I use it for the
"Start input" on the Zilla controller.

Ralph

On Apr 17, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

Tinkers Workshop tried to move/sell an Electravan that they knew little
about.

Someone has promised to pickup the Electravan & the motor & tranny that goes with it & put it in running order. If it doesn't happen I'll let EVeryone know but I think this person knows the value of this vehicle. Lets wish him
good luck.  Lawrence Rhodes...

Hi, this is my first post on the EV list, though I've been lurking for a while now. I am the person who picked up the Tinker's Workshop Electravan 750. My son Luke and I loaded it onto the towing dolly at about noon today and we are on our way home to suburban LA with it. We also bought the transmission and GE motor that came out of the vehicle.

We will post some photos of time T0 of our electric vehicle timeline when we get home.

BTW, it has a Mare Island Naval Shipyard property tag riveted to the drivers side door post. I was stationed at Mare Island several times in my naval career, so that is something special.

Thanks to the many folks who have posted to the list over the last year or so for helping to make this journey seem do-able, and to Lawrence Rhodes for bringing this particular vehicle to my attention, and finally,

Thanks for all your good wishes,

 ...Mark

Michael writes:

Worst case scenario, I could see turning off the power to the controller, so
> that it's not even turned on during the bypass operation.  This could
> be done with another relay that has normally closed contacts, and when
> he bypass contactor is energized, that relay could also be energized,
> which would turn off the controller.

One potential snag there is if the controller has a "high pedal lockout" function (I think that's what it's called), which prevents the controller from operating if it's powered up when the pedal is not in the low position.

If that were the case (I believe my golf cart controller has that feature) you'd have to fully release the pedal before switching the controller power back on. If you just slowly backed off the pedal, releasing the high pedal switch and opening the bypass circuit, you'd now have no juice at all flowing to the motor even though the go pedal remains nearly fully depressed.

That scenario would need some kind of workaround.

Darin

From: Steven Lough
> Yes, but... what if they were just offered a $$Bazzillion Dollars
> for their privately held company. Some one once said everyone has
> their Price...

I used to work for Eastman Kodak. When George Eastman was running the company,
he watched for any new product or patent to be announced. Then he packed two
suitcases and went for a visit. One suitcase had his clothes and personal
effects, and the other was full of money. He kept upping the offer until the
person said "Yes".

Failing that, he went to the person's wife. Or father. Or boss. Or to the bank
with the mortgage on his house. One way or another, he always bought him out.

Eventually, the Justice Department prosecuted him for restraint of trade.
Eastman's argument was, "What's the problem? I'm happy. He's happy. His idea is
being used in production, so the public's happy. And so, Eastman got away with
it for long enough to monopolize the photographic industry.

--
"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
doing it."    --    Chinese proverb

Perry Carter of the BYU Electric Team will be speaking at Totems, 538 S.
Redwood, Salt Lake City, Utah on Wednesday May 2, 2007, 7 p.m..

The BYU Electric team has built and raced an electric formula car, and a super
capacitor drag race EV1. Rumor has it they might be working on a land speed car.

--- Begin Message --- Beware if your pack voltage falls between 96-120V. It's a voltage black hole that few DC/DCs cover (too high for 96V units, too low for 120V or 144V units). I'm still searching for a suitable DC/DC for a 114V nominal pack...

IOTA DLS-45 (Rated 108-132VAC input) barely keeps up WITHOUT lights or heater fan running. Zivan NG1-DC (Rated 108-168V battery pack input, 600W output) is OK as long as I don't run the heater fan or drive farther than 15 miles with the lights on.

When choosing a "non-EV" designed or AC/DC converter, keep the following in mind: 1) Some AC/DC units don't work on DC. Some have input diodes that may overheat when used with a DC input. 2) DC input = 1.4 * AC input. A unit with 90-265VAC input should operate well from 126-371VDC. 3) Make sure the unit doesn't turn OFF if its output current limit is exceeded. Constant current, foldback limiting, straight line limiting, and hiccup are all OK. At least the converter will try to turn back on once the overload is gone. 4) Over voltage protection - shouldn't be much of a concern (anyone, anyone?)

The IOTA would be great with a pack that doesn't sag below 150V, but it works OK at 120V. As input voltage drops, available output current also goes down. IOTAs can be found on eBay for <$100.

For a car I'd use at least a 300W DC/DC. 130W (10A) for headlights on hi and 200W+ (15A) for a heater fan on high. Running the fan at a lower setting leaves plenty of juice for the radio, blower fan, vacuum pump, etc.

-Adrian

.

John, Michael and All,
I hope you didn't put all 24 batteries in the bed, and if you did, it's
just temporary! I only have six floodies under the hood of the truck, and
it's still not enough weight to keep the front tires from breaking loose
under hard decelerating. Also, I would recommend putting the remaining
batteries under the bed for better handling, which you might already be
planning. As far as air shocks, I wouldn't recommend them either for a
permanent solution, as there mounts aren't designed to carry the weight,
and it changes the suspension geometry. Also, air shocks have a harsh ride
and when they blow out, which they will eventually do, it will be at the
worst possible time! Either add a leaf (or two), or change out the coils.
And speaking of changing out the coils, our RX-7 was converted by someone
else with too many floodies in the rear and air shocks. When one of the
shocks blew out last year I replaced them with stock shocks and changed the
coil springs. I had an old '69 Bronco and the front coils were only
slightly larger inside, so they fit over the RX-7 coil mounts nicely. I
simply cut them to the same length as the stock springs after removing
them, and there larger thickness maintained the same ride height as the air
shocks! Now I can put on wider tires and not worry about a fender eating
them when the air shock blows. And Michael, you know how to tell the
difference between a redneck and a progressive redneck(tm) like myself? A
progressive redneck drives an eelectric pickup truck!
Hope this helps,
Suck Amps...
50,000 plus pure eelectric miles on the buggies, and a countin',
Dave (B.B.) Hawkins
Member of the Denver Electric Vehicle Council:
http://www.devc.info/
Card carrying member and former racer with The National Electric Drag
Racing Association:
http://www.nedra.com/
Lyons, Colorado
1979 Mazda RX-7 EV (192V of Orbs for the teenage daughter)
1989 GM (General Murderers of the pure EV!) S10 (144V of floodies, for Pa
only!)

2004 Toyota Prius (for Ma, and Pa if Ma is a supervising!)

>Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:31:26 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>I'm looking at adding "Air Shocks" to my EV.  You can adjust the air pressure

<snip>

At 08:49 AM 21/04/07 -0400, Darin wrote:
Hi all -

Thinking ahead a few steps (okay, many steps) for the old ForkenSwift, I'm wondering how possible / feasible it is to construct a bypass around the golf cart Curtis.

G'day Darin, All

Quote from the Curtis 1204x/1205x/1209/1221 user manual (available as download from the Curtis web site):
A bypass contactor can be used with controllers that have the optional bypass contactor optput feature. The bypass option is available on 12V and 24-36V controllers. (NOTE: A bypass contactor should not be used with controllers that do not have this feature, as the controller could be damaged when the system comes out of bypass mode.) The bypass contactor must be able to carry and to interrupt the maximum motor current. A coil suppression diode should not be used on this contactor. Refer the controller specifications in Appendix C to determine the contact current requirement of the bypass contactor. The maximum allowed coil current for this contactor is 1 amp.

OK, Transalation:
Curtis are concerned about inductive spikes from the wiring of the bypass contactors damaging the controller, so they don't make controllers with a bypass control higher than 36V. They also want to be sure that when the bypass contactor switches off, it does so with a "snap" action (that's the "no diode"). When the contactor lets go you need to be sure that the motor current is less than the maximum motor current that the controller can handle, or it will blow the controller diodes. They also want to be sure that the contactor rating can handle the current and voltage, and let you know that the coil driver will burn up above 1 amp.

So, my take on it is that you can bypass the M- to B-, but keep the leads as short as practical. It may be best to take the B- and M- to the contactor, then short leads to the controller. You can turn the contactor on at any time, provided that you are not exceeding the contact ratings, and you will loose any current limiting. Once the contactor is on, battery amps are equal to motor amps. When you turn the contactor off, whatever motor amps are flowing will be re-routed through the freewheeling diodes of the controller, so the motor amps must be less than those diodes can handle or they will blow.

Hope this helps

Regards

[Technik] James