  1) Re: De-rating cable when enclosed
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Yaris Bumper Steel Strength?
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Xtrema Charger/Wattmeter was Re: A123 connections
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: De-rating cable when enclosed
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Xtrema Charger/Wattmeter was Re: A123 connections
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: De-rating cable when enclosed
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Yaris Bumper Steel Strength?
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Zilla troubleshooting
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Weight of Bed S-10
        by "Stand Culp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Prius and Camry and EVs
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Yaris Bumper Steel Strength?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: CLUTCH BUTTON SWITCH ON S-10??
        by "BadFishRacing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) (no subject)
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) EV GRIN was Re: Zilla troubleshooting
        by "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) All this talk about controller bypass
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) first drive
        by Bruce Williford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: first drive
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Lee's BMS?
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Prius and Camry and EVs (was: Re: Excellent GM Volt video)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Prius and Camry and EVs (was: Re: Excellent GM Volt video)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Prius and Camry and EVs
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Lee's BMS?
        by Ian Page-Echols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: 500,000 Votes by Earth Day
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Yaris Bumper Steel Strength?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Yaris Bumper Steel Strength?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: De-rating cable when enclosed
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Thanks Roland. My wire is 600V, double shielded 4/0. If I use a 2" conduit for the two cables could I also put one lead for the PFC 30 charger to the other pack end in there as well since it would only be used during charging and the other cable would not be passing current? I know that reduces my volume ratio but since the alternate usage would it be fine? It would be a smaller size of course..

Mark

On Apr 22, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Roland Wiench wrote:

Hello Mark,

A cable is de-rated by 20 percent if you use three cables per conduit at 60 percent fill. It is best to keep the conduit or wireway at about 60 percent
fill.

In my ev at one time, I ran two 4/0 cable feeders under the car with Carlon PVC conduit. You can form offsets and bends with a heat lamp. You can even bend a 90 degrees if you use those plumbers test plugs at each end, which
will keep the conduit from flattening out.

In my next mod, I ran a wireway through the center of the EV which is at the
bottom of the center console, that is hinge and removable covers.

I run all my power cables, control cables, and low voltage cables in this compartment with no problems. The control and low voltage wires has to be insulated for the same voltage of the power cables and is double shield.

The maximum number of 4/0 wires, is one in a 1-1/2 inch or three in a 2 inch conduit. The welding type conductor has a jacket that that does not slip very easy in a conduit, so two in a 2 inch conduit works fine, if you do not
have more than four 90 degree bends.

These is two types of welding wire insulation, one is a thicker type that is design to be pull across a floor and is about 1 inch in diameter. The other is a little thinner at about 3/4 inch diameter for chassis or conduit
work.  Make sure you get the type of conductor that is rated for your
voltage. Normally there is the low voltage cable that is use for a welder
leader, and a medium 300 and 600 volt rating type.

From: Mark Dutko
> I needed to drill a couple 3/8" holes in my steel bumper...
> Well I have drilled many holes in this car but for some
> reason the steel in the bumper would not budge. I used new
> titanium and cobalt bits and they did nothing.

I use these Rodman multipurpose drill bits for the really tough jobs. They will
literally drill a hole in a hardened steel file!

http://www.rodmanandcoinc.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1307321%7C1307323&PRID=1492961

--
"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
doing it."    --    Chinese proverb

> I only have six floodies under the hood of the truck, and
> it's still not enough weight to keep the front tires from
> breaking loose under hard decelerating.
This may be easier to resolve with brake rebalance than by moving the
weight around. I've had good success with inline brake proportioning
valves -- cheap and simple.

Randii

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- #2. NO. On my S-10 pushing in the clutch does not disengage the cruise control. Learned that one the hard way..... Only lost the fan belt.........

Darin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: CLUTCH BUTTON SWITCH ON S-10??  Re: new S-10e?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 06:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

I have a GM Sierra S-15. There is a button switch on
the clutch pedal, which you can see only if you look
up, into the dashboard area. What does (or did) this
button do?

Thanks Mark, Steve, Roland and Dave.

I rechecked my connections and had a successful inaugural spin up and down the driveway.

I think the problem was with the precharge terminals of the hairball (assuming they are the hariball connections that go to the the high voltage connections on the contactor)

I disconnected them and when I reconnected I was able to get the contactor to close.

I've still got a bunch of work to do before I can consider it a actual working vehicle but it moved.

My wife took a video with our still photo digicam, I am looking into putting it on youtube because some family and friends that have heard me talking about this project may doubt it actually moved.

I've done this at both 48 V and 96 V on light weight <
2000 lb cars.

My 2 cents is, don't try it with a pack voltage over
60 V.  It you have a 120 V car, break the pack and put
it in parallel.  Run the car at 60 V and use the
bypass.  You will almost always be in bypass.  If you
have a 4 speed trans, you will get 4 full power
speeds.  Probably somewhere between 50 and 65 MPH in
4th gear if you use 60 V.  At 48 V, you can get 40 -
45 MPH on a light car with bypass.  Assuming cheap
fork lift motor.  That's my experience at least.
Changing the timing on the brushes and your gear
ratios will have an effect.  I am assuming a very
small and light car with battereis sufficient to
handle 500 + Amp drain.  I think my 48 V car pulled
600 A on acceleration with the bypass.

Not the best solution, but inexpensive.

Same with contactor controllers.  If you are driving
on the street, I wouldn't use one over 30 V with
resistor, 30 V no resistor, 60 V no resistor.  Even 72
V scares me unless you are on an open track.

When I bypassed 96 V across my 9" ADC using Deka group
24 AGM batts ... well all I can say is that I was very
very scared and immediately made sure that would never
happen again.

Hope this helps.

Steve

--- Begin Message --- Ooooooooooooweeeeee! Wired the Ghia up, triple checked everything, clear ahead and behind, key on, depress throttle and off it went. With no windshield, tail lights, insurance or registration I took it easy as I cruised around the neighborhood a few times. No smoke, sparks or stalls. Lots of neighbors in awe (maybe just bemused tolerance) as I rolled past. Now I understand the Ev grin. Happy Earth day to all and to all a good night.

Bruce

Hmmm,

It may be very adviseable to get insurance before a next testdrive.
No matter how tempting - a mistake is easily made and a breakdown
of a critical part (like a brake) can cause a lot of damage, which
you would regret if you did not arrange the insurance....

Other that that - congratulations on your newly acquired grin!

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

Ooooooooooooweeeeee!  Wired the Ghia up, triple checked everything, clear
ahead and behind, key on, depress throttle and off it went.  With no
windshield, tail lights, insurance or registration I took it easy as I
cruised around the neighborhood a few times.  No smoke, sparks or stalls.
Lots of neighbors in awe (maybe just bemused tolerance) as I rolled past.
Now I understand the Ev grin.  Happy Earth day to all and to all a good
night.

Bruce

Hi Steve,

to us who haven´t followed this thread, I think it would really help if there were a site that would describe what these different options are all about, prices and the address where you can send you order.

I´m happy to make that site if you or someone else sends me the text and maybe pictures.

Osmo

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> kirjoitti 22.4.2007 kello 21.08:

Ok so what about the other board and parts , I'm getting 2 relay boards and 3 controlle boards , I'd like to get the controller boards with all the parts if there are enough people willing to do that. On the out puts of the controlle board , do we have a a,b c d ,,,, and a 1,2,3,4, that we combine like a1 a2 a3 and b1 b2 b3 ect so as to get controll of many relays . How may a,b c d ,,, and 1,2,3 , do we get , . As you can see I haven't done anything with the stamp so this will be a learning time from me ..
Steve Clunn

On Apr 22, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Ryan Stotts wrote:

Would you like it better if it looked like this?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoID/6070119.001/ pageview/photo/photo/1/page/1/lang/eng/country/jcf/toyota/spy-image- next-gen-toyota-prius

Actually, I like the looks of the current-gen Prius just fine. I didn't like it because of the distracting dashboard widgetry, poor visibility, and the poor ride. I won't like it better until those things are fixed.

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

On Apr 22, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Roger Stockton wrote:

Doug Weathers wrote:

 How many Prius drivers are making a
statement and putting up with less car for more money because it
*looks* like a hybrid?

The first thing that is odd about this statement is that you appear to
be suggesting that the Camry is *cheaper* than the Prius, which is
certainly not the case around here.

I was not sufficiently clear, sorry about that.

The hybrid Camry hasn't had much time to build up a sales history, whereas the Prius has been around for a number of years now. I don't think we have enough data to say anything meaningful about the Camry. I was comparing the Prius to a non-hybrid ordinary car. Would you agree that the Prius is less car for more money than, say, a Subaru Impreza hatchback (which is the ICE I'm currently driving)? That's the comparison I was trying to make.

Also, looks aside, there are 2
other reasons that peoploe might choose the Prius over the Camry: cargo
space (the Prius is a hatchback, with a fair cargo capacity, however,
the Camry loses about half its trunk to the hybrid battery and also
loses the fold-down rear seats);

Agreed, with a minor correction: the hybrid Camry's rear seats *do* fold down, but there's only a small passthrough between the trunk and the cabin. You'd be able to carry half a dozen six (possibly eight) foot 2/4s, or maybe some skis, but not much else.

The poor cargo capacity is probably the thing I like least about the Camry. I love my Subaru hatchback.

 and, fuel economy (it is reasonable to
assume that people who buy a hybrid do so because of the better fuel
economy/lower emissions, and the Prius outperforms the Camry in this
regard).

Agreed.  Many other cars, also.

To restate: based on my single test drive and subsequent negative opinion of the Prius, my thesis is that the Prius is less car for more money than many conventional cars, and that therefore, the large number of people who have purchased them may have done so to make a public statement to the effect that good fuel economy is more important than ride quality. IMO this would be a good thing, because it might mean there's a market for EVs that don't compare well to conventional cars based on range. If an EV is visually distinctive, perhaps the same demographic will purchase it to make a similar statement.

Exercise for the reader: does the Sparrow/NMG support this thesis?

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

Folks, please forgive the interruption.  These cars are not EVs.  They get
all their energy from gasoline.  There are many better forums for discussing
them, including several Yahoo Groups.  Please either discuss them on those
forums, or in private email.

If you want to talk about how to CONVERT a Prius or Camry hybrid to plug-in
operation, or true BEV, now that's an appropriate topic for the EVDL.  Have
at it!

Thanks for your understanding.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

That would appear to be this, which I didn't see originally either:
http://www.geocities.com/sorefeets/balancerland/

On Apr 22, 2007, at 8:53 PM, Osmo S. wrote:

[...]

I used the link Joesph posted for the Volt Vote Poll
http://www.gmsurveys2.com/se.ashx?s=7C7FD94F76D8CE27
and it worked fine for me.

I hope the poll is still active, and still tabulating
votes (I hope GM did not pull the plug on what they
clearly do not want to make).

If so, the Chevy Volt Survey result page after voting
listed below, state the vote count did not meet Joesph's
goal, but the YES to no ratio is so high, it can not be
ignored ... even by GM.

-[As of 4/23/07 0230 PST]
Would you like to see GM build the Chevrolet Volt?:
Response 20% 40% 60% 80% 100%
 Frequency Count
Yes   99.5 451320
No   0.5 2256
Valid Responses 453576

If GM builds the Chevrolet Volt, would you consider buying one?:

Response 20% 40% 60% 80% 100%
 Frequency Count
Yes   99.4 449858
No   0.6 2685