  1) Re: Bypass Contactor > Mark Hanson
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: DC-DC converter
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Raptur 600  Hookitup!
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: My battery charger made up of 9 small battery chargers
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Series R for Deka Intimidator
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Electric Boat design
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: New member
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: We're screwed. NIce story ..
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: New member
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Electric Boats
 11) Re: Going Over The Limit
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Electric Boat design
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric Boat design
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: We're screwed
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Montana Enacts Law Enabling Medium-Speed Electric Vehicles; First
 in US
        by "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Raptur 600 Hookitup!
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: We're screwed. NIce story ..
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Electric Boat design
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: DC-DC converter
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: DC-DC converter
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Raptur 600  Hookitup!
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Electric Boats
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Electric Boats
        by Rodney A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: DC-DC converter
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: We're screwed.
        by "Freddie Hartsell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: DC-DC converter
Mr. Hanson, you mentioned, homebuilt controller with
1200amp capacity in your last post.  My mouth started
watering with that statement.  You wouldn't be
interested in sharing schematics on it would ya? Heck
with that kinda controller, who needs all this talk of
bypassing the controller....lol

--- Mark Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've always had a bypass contactor (and an engage
> contactor that closes upon
> pressing the accelerator peddle) and havn't blown a
> controller for that
> reason.  The single back EMF spike when releasing
> the bypass contactor isn't
> sufficient to blow the back emf diode anyway AND the
> PWM is still at 100%
> duty cycle at that time so the fets are still on (if
> done correctly).  You
> can put a 22 ohm resistor in series with the diode
> on the 12V coil to make
> the bypass contactor drop out quickly so the
> controller is still at 100% at
> that time..  On my homebuilt controllers I havn't
> bothered though as i have
> 1200A worth of fets & diodes.
>
> Have a renewable energy day,
> Mark

> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:50:42 -0400
> From: "Darin - at - metrompg.com"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: Re: Issues involved in a controller bypass?
>  (ForkenSwift)
>
> Michael, thanks for posting that.
>
> I think it goes without saying that a mechanical
> safety disconnect
> should be part of any bypass system (if it's not
> already part of a
> non-bypassed system).
>
> Darin

> Mortgage refinance is Hot. *Terms. Get a 5.375%* fix
> rate. Check savings

Michael Barkley

"You might be a REDNECK, if it ain't ELECTRIC"

  www.texomaev.com

I have been playing with a dc to dc that I got for Marlin p jones surplus
www.mpja.com , the caps are rated at 200 but there are 2 in series and they are
part of a voltage dubbler currite which they engage for 120 and don't for 240ac
. the 300v car charges to 375. Many of these 120ac unites have a voltage
doubler in side which you buypass or disconnect . The problem I'm haveing with
them is that even though they say under voltage protected I've brunned one out
charging a dead battery . I have had some luck with the small dc to dc that are
used for computers , if there ratingis 100 to 240 , not 120 or 240 switchable ,
as these have a dubbler in them . I've used a 15v 2 amp ones  and put 2 diodes
to drop the voltage 1.4v .
  steve clunn

> From: Rodney A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2007/04/23 Mon PM 11:24:50 EDT
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: RE: DC-DC converter
>

> What if you have a 300 V pack though? I am not aware
> of a DC-DC convertor
> that can deal with that input voltage?
>
> Thanks

Hi EVerybody;

   You guyz with a DCP Rapture controllers? Quick question; The 10 pin plug
that goes into the controller, a quick where-does-everything- go. Can't seem to
find my how -to hookup diagram. I don't see any numbers on the green plug. But
it looks like the top, IF i'm going the right direction?  1 and 2 for the
controller "Plunger" solenoid setup,Polarity not an issue?and down. I clipped
all this out of the wrecked Rabbit in the rain, soo I don't have plusses and
minuse's. The hookup to the line switch, "on" contacter is intact. As I
remember ya need a Plus and minus for, through the key switch, to turn it
on?Not rocket science but important.Likw numbers to what goes where?

   Thanks! Gotta make the hookup for the "Gas" pedal, now!

David Hrivnak wrote:

> To my surprise I was able to attached 6 12 V Soneil
> chargers to my 72V pack.  The Soneil chargers are isolated
> so it seems to be working at least it did on the garage floor.

Has anyone who is using multiple chargers like this measured the resting
voltages of their batteries several hours after charge completes to get
an idea of how well balanced they are? (And, did they take similar
measurements before going to individual chargers to have some idea of
what sort of difference the charging change made?)

I'd be really interested in seeing any such numbers anyone is willing to
share.

I'm curious to see how much better (or worse!) the balance is vs using a
single series charger, but don't really want to invest in a set of
individual chargers just to find out that I'm no better off than before.

FWIW, with a series charger I am seeing a difference of
0.012-0.013V/cell between the highest and lowest voltage modules in a
72V string of AGMs.

I thibk Rob wants to know the internal resistance of the battery.  I thought I
had seen those spec's somewhere but can't find them just yet.  I'll keep
looking.  I know I could pull the full 1000 Amps from them with an acceptable
sag on a fresh pack.  I'll have to pull some numbers out of my data files
though.

From: David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:04 am
Subject: Re: Series R for Deka Intimidator
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> On 24 Apr 2007 at 0:25, Rob&Amy Smith wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen a series R value for the Deka Intimidator 9A34
> and 9A31?
>
> I must have missed something.  Sorry, what's a series R value?
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EV List Administrator

> Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach
> me.
> To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
> the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

jerryd wrote:
       Electric boats can be done but if you want any range,
you need to keep the speed down... forget about planing or
semi-planing as both take too much power.

How about hydrofoils? They seem to take very little power for the speeds they achieve. I've even seen some human powered hydrofoils, which obviously won't have even 1/2 HP to make them go (a human pedalling).

Steve wrote:
I am embarking on a project to build a somewhat impractical, but
fun EV... Car: 1980-82 Corvette...
Help needed: References to useful books and articles.

It will certainly be an interesting conversion. The only 'vette EV conversion I know of was of one from the early 1970's. The builder used two PM motors, driving the differential's pinion with a flat belt (no transmission or clutch).

About 5 years ago, I wasn't into EVs at that time, I went to a local car
show with my beautiful restored red Karman Ghia convertible. There it was,
wedged between a huge Chevy and a another American muscle car - I have to
agree: It looked kind of like a toy.  I could feel people's   pity when
the looked at my little engine in the back. 'Cute' they said, your car is
'cute'. That didn't bother me at all - I think it is cute and I still have
it (I pay my collectible insurance of about US$ 220/year) and I take it
out to drive from time to time.

Anyway. Some guy stops with his Camaro and asked me, if I would want to
race my 'Kraut' car against his. I respectfully denied but offered him a
race with our 'other' family 'Kraut' car. He nodded: "As long as it's a
'Kraut' car, I race everything." Ok - I said, let's make a nice race, the
usual back road track, about 4 Miles long. We made a 50 Bucks bet, then I
called my husband to bring the car. But - as soon as he saw our
brand-spanking new 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo, he chickened out of the race.
Needless to say, my husband and I went out to dinner that night -
compliments of a stupid camaro driver.

I just had to tell the story. Even though there's no EVing. Hope you don't
mind.

mm./

Steve wrote:

   approx. 3300 lbs. curb weight,

The weight has always perplexed me as I always assumed they built it
using fiberglass to reduce weight.  Considering the body and the
frame, of the two; which one weighs more?  Any numbers on either?

Do you want more range or more performance?  What's your favorite
aspect of an AC system vs's a DC one?

> i was curious since I'm a water skier what lind of hulls are the most
>
> efficient (go the fastest) when converting to electric, say 48V, 8ea
> 6V Trojan's.

Well, a hydrafoil is probably about the most efficient, but it would be
difficult to pull a skier with one.

Long skinny hulls are probably the next best choice.  Do a catamaran
layout to improve stability.

48V worth of GC batteries isn't a lot of power, around 25 hp max. However,
that should be enough to get a good skier up.  I've pulled two skiers
behind a Zodiac with a 25 hp outboard.

Timothy wrote:
the Merc 190E. The 190 series was tremendously over
engineered

What type of "frame" does it have?  Does it have separate front and
rear sub frames or a "full frame" type sub frame design?

            Hi Lee and All,

  #1. One day I said "I don't want to pay this much for gasoline" and people
  told me that I had no choice because it's a "staple" or something that you
  can't live without. Oh yeah? Nobody tells me that I don't have a choice.

  #2. I'm in the US Navy and I've already done one tour in the Persian Gulf on
  27' patrol gunboats in 115F degree heat to protect our national "interests"
  (read: oil) and I'm interested in reducing our "interests" that need
  protecting over there so I don't have to go anymore!

  I'll keep the faith but as far as sharing my experiences with non EV
  people....I'm going to rethink that one.

  Rich A.

http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=660600&bcd=EMAILFOOTERAVERAGE<http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=660600&bcd=EMAILFOOTERAVERAGE>

FYI.

Drat!! Suddenly we can no longer brag that the ForkenSwift is capable of breaking all North American NEV speed limits! :-D

Darin

---

Bozeman Daily Chronicle. Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer has signed into law SB 185, a bill that allows neighborhood electric vehicles equipped with the proper safety features to travel up to 35 mph on city and county roads.

NEVs previously were in the same category as golf carts, and were prohibited from travelling faster than 25 mph.

The state of Washington has passed a similar bill, but it has not yet been signed into law.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/04/montana_enacts_.html

You guyz with a DCP Rapture controllers?
?Can't seem to find my how -to hookup diagram.

Hi Bob

I found a great diagram here-
http://www.timnolan.com/etruck/Wiring/ETruck_frame.htm

Linked to from this page-
http://www.timnolan.com/etruck/Wiring/Wiring.htm

Good Luck!

~~~~~~

Roy LeMeur

Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- We're screwed? No, they are screwed. We have adapted, they haven't. Change is often not very forgiving, so I kind of pity them. How much is a 500 cube V-8 worth when gas hits $5.00 per gallon?

When I first met him, one of my co-workers had pretty much the same perspective you encountered. I gave him a ride to lunch in my Solectria Force and his reaction was "This does seem kind of practical". Then gas jumped up to $3.00 a gallon. He traded in his V8 for a 4 cylinder and got real curious about my electrics. He now believes while they might not be for everyone, they probably are the right choice for a lot of people.

Well, I am off to spread the "gospel" this evening to a group gathered to see "Who Killed the Electric Car". I suspect I will have a more receptive audience than you found.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme position. (Horace)
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- IIRC, both Rich Rudman and Father Time used to race electric boats, looked like little pickle fork hulls.

I think Dave Cloud may still hold the record for fastest electric boat.

On a more practical side...
These folks make marine drives using motors like the Etek or Lynch, lots of good photos and installed systems here-
http://www.asmomarine.com/2005/asmo_uk/01.shtml

~~~~~~

Roy LeMeur

Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:01:35 -0700, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Does the Iota just drop out until the voltage rises or is it just an
output reduction? If an output reduction have you come up with an
idea about how much the output is reduced at  100v?

The IOTA behaves very well. It looks like the output current ramps down with the input voltage. When the voltage comes back up, the output does also. I haven't made any output measurements, but it wasn't working well with just my headlights on. I'll try to get some current measurements done this week - I need to find my max power usage so I can pick another DC/DC.

I didn't try using the "quick charge" plug for a little extra voltage. Mine didn't come with one (eBay). The output jumps from 13.5V to 14.1V or so with the plug installed. BTW, the plug shorts 1-3 and 2-4 on the connector.

My car:
114V nominal, 100-110V typical while driving, 90V minimum
LED turn/brake/marker lights
12V water pump, blower fan, and vacuum pump are always on
55W headlights (110W total)

*************

I got a quote back from Absopulse on their DC/DC units. The RWY series is serious heavy duty stuff. Many other input/output votages are available with 5-6 week lead time.

RWY280 - 280W output, ruggedized, potted (designed for transportation, mining, oil rigs), configured for 57V-168V input, 13.8V output. They can be paralleled using external diodes.
1-2: $432
3-4: $360
5-24: $327

BAP319 - 500W output, "heavily ruggedized", 200,000 hour MTBF @ 45C. Internal output diode for paralleling. 90V-150V input per my request. Vented case :(
1-2: $761
3-4: $585
5-24: $488

-Adrian

Rodney wrote:

What if you have a 300 V pack though? I am not aware
of a DC-DC convertor that can deal with that input voltage?

Try one of these:

http://www.powerstream.com/DC-HV.htm

Any potential in these?

http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF.htm

Bob,

I have a copy of that page of the DCP 600 manual online at
http://www.aracnet.com/~rmerwin/prizm/dcp600.jpg

Ralph

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi EVerybody;
>
>    You guyz with a DCP Rapture controllers? Quick question; The 10 pin plug
> that goes into the controller, a quick where-does-everything- go. Can't seem
> to find my how -to hookup diagram. I don't see any numbers on the green plug.
> But it looks like the top, IF i'm going the right direction?  1 and 2 for the
> controller "Plunger" solenoid setup,Polarity not an issue?and down. I clipped
> all this out of the wrecked Rabbit in the rain, soo I don't have plusses and
> minuse's. The hookup to the line switch, "on" contacter is intact. As I
> remember ya need a Plus and minus for, through the key switch, to turn it
> on?Not rocket science but important.Likw numbers to what goes where?
>
>    Thanks! Gotta make the hookup for the "Gas" pedal, now!
>
>      Bob

At 07:50 AM 24/04/07 -0500, Mark wrote:
i was curious since I'm a water skier what lind of hulls are the most efficient (go the fastest) when converting to electric, say 48V, 8ea 6V Trojan's. Most of the set-ups in Ocalla Florida and Silver Springs were pontoon boats at 48V for the park service and tourists. I would probably have to give up water skiing though but at 5mpg that may be worth doing. I saw some with Ray Electric Outboards (Advance DC & Curtis control) and one solar tampoon boat with twin large 1hp trolling motors on the back "The Chabunagunamog". They all apppeared to do fairly slow, I'm thinking about 6-12 knots for about 6 hours run time. What is the best electric boat recepe'?

G'day All

All this talk about boats, I've been 'roped in' to help the Australian Maritime College with a student/staff project to electrify a model that they have - it is (IIRC) a 1/20th scale model of a high-speed, low-drag fast ferry.

It currently has a 12hp ICE in it, and the conversion is to a series DC motor, 48V system, initially 8 x golf cart batteries, seats one person. The hull is a round 20 foot long and about 3 foot wide. Currently it has a water jet in it (as that is the propulsion form for the fast ferry) but as the project continues they are looking to move away from what the hull is of, into its' own entity so it may get a more suitable propellor for the speeds it is likely to be operating at.

Anticipation is that it will be operating at less than 4.5hp - in fact it is going to be officially less than 4.5hp so that under local regs it can be used by anyone, rather than over 4.5hp the operator would need a speedboat licence. As this is a "green" project (plantation timber hull, etc) they are looking to continue that theme, if possible they want to solar supplement the charging - with the amount of useable deck area, they should actually get a significant range extension on a sunny day.

I haven't been able to turn up an on-line reference to the project, I'll ask the AMC staff member who is leading the project if he has anything on-line I can point people to so as to get an idea.

Regards

[Technik] James
Hi James

Actually, there is a similar project already done in
Sydney (though its
actually a hybrid on a much larger scale)

http://www.solarsailor.com/technology.htm

Cheers

Rod

>i was curious since I'm a water skier what lind of
hulls are the most
>efficient (go the fastest) when converting to
electric, say 48V, 8ea 6V
>Trojan's.  Most of the set-ups in Ocalla Florida and
Silver Springs were
>pontoon boats at 48V for the park service and
tourists. I would probably
>have to give up water skiing though but at 5mpg that
may be worth
>doing.  I saw some with Ray Electric Outboards
(Advance DC & Curtis
>control) and one solar tampoon boat with twin large
1hp trolling motors on
>the back "The Chabunagunamog".  They all apppeared to
do fairly slow, I'm
>thinking about 6-12 knots for about 6 hours run time.
 What is the best
>electric boat recepe'?

G'day All

All this talk about boats, I've been 'roped in' to
help the Australian
Maritime College with a student/staff project to
electrify a model that
they have - it is (IIRC) a 1/20th scale model of a
high-speed, low-drag
fast ferry.

It currently has a 12hp ICE in it, and the conversion
is to a series DC
motor, 48V system, initially 8 x golf cart batteries,
seats one person. The
hull is a round 20 foot long and about 3 foot wide.
Currently it has a
water jet in it (as that is the propulsion form for
the fast ferry) but as
the project continues they are looking to move away
from what the hull is
of, into its' own entity so it may get a more suitable
propellor for the
speeds it is likely to be operating at.

Anticipation is that it will be operating at less than
4.5hp - in fact it
is going to be officially less than 4.5hp so that
under local regs it can
be used by anyone, rather than over 4.5hp the operator
would need a
speedboat licence. As this is a "green" project
(plantation timber hull,
etc) they are looking to continue that theme, if
possible they want to
solar supplement the charging - with the amount of
useable deck area, they
should actually get a significant range extension on a
sunny day.

I haven't been able to turn up an on-line reference to
the project, I'll
ask the AMC staff member who is leading the project if
he has anything
on-line I can point people to so as to get an idea.

Regards

[Technik] James

I can confirm that the IOTA 230V-55A unit works and works well on a 288V
pack with a 354V end of charge voltage.

Way, way, way way, WAY too expensive.

over 45k for 30 kWh

On 4/24/07, Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Any potential in these?

http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF.htm

I am the friend that Ed is talking about and I have had very positive
response to my 1991 Dakota.  Everywhere I go people notice that it is
electric and they stop me and ask a lot of question.  I always take the time
to answer their questions and let them get a good look at the truck.  Last
Sunday, my wife and I felt like taking a drive to get some ice cream so we
jumped into the Dakota and went just over the state line into South Carolina
to a small hamburger stand where they serve ice cream too.  When we came out
of the business with our ice cream a guy was looking at the truck.  He
looked at me and said"you really do drive this truck everywhere don't you."
He then went on to say that he had been at the car show and saw the truck
but he did not think that I was actually driving it.  I try to drive the
truck everywhere I can to show people that it is very possible to build and
drive an electric vehicle.   You have to be ready for all opinions and other
points of views.  I try to be open minded when I talk to other people about
my truck but I am very proud of it as Ed will attest to.  The Dakota will
not break any speed records nor will it go a hundred miles on a charge, yet.
But it is an electric truck that does not have to use gas at all.  That is
what I had intended to do when I started out to build the truck.  So just
grin and bear it.  I agree with some of the comments earlier about waiting
until the price of gas goes up so high they are unable to drive their big
gas guzzlers.   Our time will come and I am willing to wait until then.

Keep the faith, Freddie