  2) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: We're screwed.
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Float Charger ?
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Texas members batteries for sale, maybe New Mexico or Oklahoma
        by Matthew Milliron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: DC-DC converter
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC-DC converter
        by "Ted C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: We're screwed.
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DC-DC converter
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Series R for Deka Intimidator
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by "Martin Winlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: We're screwed.
        by "Freddie Hartsell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
 18) RE: We're screwed. NIce story ..
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) EBEAA Rally - DVC, Pleasant Hill/Concord - This Sat 4/28/07 10-4
        by Ed Thorpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Lee's BMS?
 23) DOD question and heat issues
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: DOD question and heat issues
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: New member
        by "Sean Korb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
That's a good question :)

I haven't explored the details, however an old mercedes fanatic says
this about it:

"This four-door model is constructed on the same advanced monocoque
body/chassis unit as the other 190 Class models"

On 4/24/07, Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Timothy wrote:
> the Merc 190E. The 190 series was tremendously over
> engineered

What type of "frame" does it have?  Does it have separate front and
rear sub frames or a "full frame" type sub frame design?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yeah, victor - I agree on the gun issue, but not on the lights!!!!! There are some out there (not all of them on SUV's, either - most of them that bother me are on smaller cars!) that ought to be banned!

Whether they ar xenon or not, I don't know - all I know is they are dangerous to oncoming drivers. And that is NOT just my opinion!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

From: David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:04 am
Subject: Re: Series R for Deka Intimidator
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

On 24 Apr 2007 at 0:25, Rob&Amy Smith wrote:

Has anyone seen a series R value for the Deka Intimidator 9A34
and 9A31?

I must have missed something.  Sorry, what's a series R value?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach
me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Crikey!  Sorry I suggested it in the first place.

Personally, I think Victor has the right angle on this subject.

However, I would go one step further and suggest that the reason glare from
headlights (of all types) has become such an annoyance is that nowadays, so
many vehicles have the option, built-in, to adjust the angle of their
headlamps at the flick of a switch.  So if your vehicle is heavily loaded
(esp. in the back, which causes the lamp beam angle to rise) you can lower
the beams so they don't cause dazzle to the road-user(s) in front.

The problem is, of course, people being people, they either can't be
bothered to adjust their beams, don't know about it in the first place or
don't know where the switch is (rentals?).

I use, as a rule of thumb, that your dipped beams shouldn't get over the top
of the boot lid of the vehicle in front. That way it should not be possible
for your head lights to cause problems.

What's the answer?  Self levelling lamps.  I gather they are out there but
as ever, it will be a while before they become mainstream let alone
standard.

Last point - in the UK causing unnecessary dazzle or glare from your lamps
(front or rear) is a specific traffic offence.  Unfortunately the Gov has
been paring down the number of traffic police to point of being extinct. The
local police are far to busy dealing with domestic incidents and such to
bother with enforcing any but the most serious traffic legislation.  As a
consequence, it has been estimated that up to 20% of drivers in some parts
of London are uninsured and have no drivers licence!

Hey, ho!

MW

> > You might consider HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamp bulb
> > replacement
> > kits (AKA 'Xenon').  They cut the power used by the headlights in half
and
> > produce a much better (brighter and more suited to human eyes) lighting
> > effect.
>
> Who says that??!!! I HATE them, because they half-blind me! Maybe they are
> just mis-aligned, but I wish they would be BANNED!

>   Right on, Joe!! I don't understand WHY they aren't. Usually on a
obnoxious SUV, rides 3 feet off your bumper 20 MORE over the speed limit.
Godamn lights are SO high that they blast your mirror to the point you twist
it away!

   Maybe a Landing light setup YOU could turn on? Locomotive headlights? to
BLAST the guy back a bit? Except YOU are making a road hazard WORSE! These
guyz are enough of a hazard when they CAN see! The'll be diddling with their
radio, talking on the cell fone, reading a book/paper! I have scene this!

    So to put these lights on YOUR vehicle you only make it worse out there.
Hell! You don't go that fast you need them, in an EV!

   My two lumins worth

I am the friend that Ed is talking about and I have had very positive
response to my 1991 Dakota.  Everywhere I go people notice that it is
electric and they stop me and ask a lot of question.  I always take the time
to answer their questions and let them get a good look at the truck.  Last
Sunday, my wife and I felt like taking a drive to get some ice cream so we
jumped into the Dakota and went just over the state line into South Carolina
to a small hamburger stand where they serve ice cream too.  When we came out
of the business with our ice cream a guy was looking at the truck.  He
looked at me and said"you really do drive this truck everywhere don't you."
He then went on to say that he had been at the car show and saw the truck
but he did not think that I was actually driving it.  I try to drive the
truck everywhere I can to show people that it is very possible to build and
drive an electric vehicle.   You have to be ready for all opinions and other
points of views.  I try to be open minded when I talk to other people about
my truck but I am very proud of it as Ed will attest to.  The Dakota will
not break any speed records nor will it go a hundred miles on a charge, yet.
But it is an electric truck that does not have to use gas at all.  That is
what I had intended to do when I started out to build the truck.  So just
grin and bear it.  I agree with some of the comments earlier about waiting
until the price of gas goes up so high they are unable to drive their big
gas guzzlers.   Our time will come and I am willing to wait until then.

Keep the faith, Freddie

Date: Saturday, April 28, 2007
Time: 10 am to 4 pm.
Site: Diablo Valley College
      321 Golf Club Road, Pleasant Hill, CA
Purpose: Earth Day and public display/education/rides

Visitors welcome, open to the public. Look for the
wind generator at the Alternative Energy Center, where
we will be meeting.

Our Annual East Bay Display and Ride-Along in Pleasant
Hill / Concord is at hand - spring time and Earthdays.
Hope we can have a healthy turnout, even with the
distance some of the EVs need to be brought to
participate. Prizes for those who can participate.
Great opportunity even to display your EV since the
focus is on educating the public rather than pushing
for ultimate range.

Great opportunity to expose the general public to the
virtues of EVs. We will be driving a circuit route
around the college, up and down hills, to demonstrate
the virtues of the EV. Those EVs which can carry
passengers provide wonderful opportunities to discuss
the EV mission to a captive audience.

We will have refreshments, so even if you cannot bring
your EV, we can have a great time discussing the
virtues of EVs and interact with students at the
Engineering Technology Alternative Energy program.

Due to distances for members to bring their EVs, we
are also planning other Display and Ride-Alongs
throughout the Summer, including a Fall event in the
San Leandro / Hayward area, based at Chabot College.

EV charging available at Sun Valley Mall (1 Avcon
conductive, 1 Magnacharger inductive) and conversion
standards (110vac and 220vac) will be available at the
Alternative Energy center at DVC.

See you there.

http://www.ebeaa.org

*********END OF MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT***********

Hi Paul,

You'll need an inverter to run on DC for a brushless
motor.

Jeff

--- childreypa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey all,
> This is only relevant because its about motors. I
> have water cooled my
> computer, and now the weak link in my system is the
> pump. Yes I could
> buy one specifically for this application but im
> looking at atleast 40
> bucks. What I want to do is make a brushless disk
> "pancake motor"
> similar to a windmill generator. The disk would be
> make of plexi glass
> inside a water tight plexi glass compartment. It
> would have n impeller
> on it. The coils would actuallt be outside the water
> chamber so there
> would be no holes or water tight bearings needed. I
> suppose this would
> be an induction motor, which means it can only be
> run on AC right? Can a
> brushless disk motor be run on DC?
> Thanks,
> Paul

Hi Lee,

I've run into a snag.  I've got the scripts finished, but I can't upload
them to my server.
A while back, I got tired of all the hackers from China trying to hack
into my servers, so I set up a firewall to prevent logins from China.
Apparently the IP addresses here in Okinawa come from China and I can't
get through the firewall.
I've tried working around it, but no luck.

I appologize for not coming through on my offer. I'm kind of bummed about
this.

Do you have me down for some relay bare boards?  Can I send you the cash
via PayPal, or would you prefer I have my wife mail you a check?

Cheers, Pete.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I am having a brain cramp trying to remember the way depth of discharge works. Help me out here:

I have 8 volt batteries. I run a total of 16 batteries which in theory is 128 volts. We all know that each cell, fresh off the charger is about 2.45 volts. (at least according to my manufacturer's tech support) so 64 cells X 2.4v = 156.8 volts total which is what my Zivan is programmed for. So here's my question:

Is the 80% DOD rule for 128 volts or 156 volts? Or is it perhaps the "resting" voltage of around 150 volts once the battery has been off the charger for a while? 80% of these 3 values would be: 102.4 volts, 124 volts, and 120 volts. I'm trying to figure out when I'm on "empty". I've yet to drive this car to the point where my Mark I "butt-o-meter" felt any significant loss of performance. My longest drive has been 36 miles, 17 of which was at highway speed. When I finally pulled in to the house, I was at 120 volts and was only then starting to notice some loss of pep.

Second issue:

I've had a couple of days now where the temps have hit the 80's. The Zivan NG3 is mounted in one of the 2 allowable positions (horizontal) in the trunk of my Beetle. I've found that now my 12 ga. extension cord is much warmer and the charge time is much longer. Last night I just figured out that the charger is recirculating air in the trunk until it gets hotter and hotter so it's losing efficiency. I opened the trunk to take advantage of the cooler night air. Do any of you Southerners have any strategies for coping with the heat? I'm building an E-Beetle for my uncle in south Florida and I'll need a solution for this as well as for my own car.

The motor and controller are getting pretty warm too due to a lack of air flow when driving. The builder lived in Alaska where this isn't really a problem. He sealed up the engine bay good and tight with a belly pan and a rain guard to block the Beetle's rear engine vents to keep the motor/controller dry. I already have a solution for that though. I'm going to cut 3 small circular holes in the belly pan and install dryer vents to scoop and exhaust air while driving. They have flaps so I can close them during the rain and winter.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Rich A.

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01
Rich,

        I would be very careful about going to the 80% DOD mark. You
will go through your pack very fast by going there often.  I would go to
the 50% mark so your pack will last longer.  80% only on an "as needed"
basis.  It is my understanding that the DOD mark is from the max voltage
the battery presents so your 80% of 156.  I could be wrong though.

Jody

Steve wrote:

>    approx. 3300 lbs. curb weight,

The weight has always perplexed me as I always assumed they built it
using fiberglass to reduce weight.  Considering the body and the
frame, of the two; which one weighs more?  Any numbers on either?

I'm not sure of the weights, but many parts of the Corvette of that vintage
are quite heavy.  Fiberglass was chosen to make those fantastic compound
curves that are difficult to stamp out of steel at low cost; but the glass
is very thick compared to racing applications.  That's not a bad thing,
since it had to put up with the rough roads and abuse of '70s traffic and
parking.  The frame is also a heavy ladder bar design.  The luxury items
fitted to most Corvettes also weighed quite a bit, but you ended up with a
very solid feeling luxurious personal transportation device.  The '57 T-Bird
was a similar concept.

I understand someone is building '57 T-Bird kits these days.  That would
make a nice EV project too :)

--
Sean Korb [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.spkorb.org
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '71 Pantera #1382