        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: DOD question and heat issues
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Video on you tube
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) 1986 mazda, using stock pickup bed
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Re: Light EV, controller/motor?
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Light EV, controller/motor?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Re: Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Happened twice,
My Zivan NG-3 goes through Red and yellow phase. In the green (Float)
phase, the light blinks and the cooling fan continues to run.

Instead of the expected Float voltage of 172 V at 0.2 Amps, the Zivan is at
169.5 V and 0.8 Amps

This happened on 2 occasions. (the first occasion occured for 4 hours
without reaching 172)

Battery fluid level is good. No unexpected voltage sags or range loss while
driving.

Presently I'm testing the Zivan without the temperature Probe
I'll also call Greg

Any thoughts,
Ben

Hello Richard,

According to my battery chart, the following data for a 6 volt battery is:

Charge    No Load       Specific       75 amp
          Voltage       Gravity        load

100%        6.37         1.277          5.95
 90         6.31         1.250          5.88
 80         6.25         1.238          5.81
 70         6.19         1.217          5.75
 60         6.12         1.195          5.68
 50         6.05         1.172          5.62
 40         5.98         1.148          5.55
 30         5.91         1.124          5.48
 20         5.83         1.098          5.41
 10         5.75         1.073          5.35

Note: 20% State of Charge is the same as 80% Depth of Discharge

As you can see, the State of Charge is base on the full charge voltage of
the battery and is not proportional to the full charge.  A 50% DOD is 6.05
volts and not 6.37 x 0.50 = 3.185 V or even 3 volts of a 6 volt battery.

Your 16 batteries at 80% DOD would be about 16 x 5.83 V = 93.28 V at no load
or 86.56 V at a 75 amp load.

On my dash, I have a low voltage warning light that comes on at 5.5 volts
per battery and it will shut down the controller at 5.35 V per battery at a
75 amp load.

From: "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Electric Boats
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:44:25 +0530

i believe lynch motor's old webpage had a link to the world record
set by a german lady in a powerboat using only battery and lynch motor

..peekay

From: "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Light EV, controller/motor?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:52:38 -0700

[...]

Mortgage rates near historic lows. Refinance $200,000 loan for as low as $771/month* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f8&disc=y&vers=689&s=4056&p=5117
I have been playing with a DC/DC... the caps are rated at 200 volts
but there are 2 in series and they are part of a voltage doubler
circuit which they engage for 120vac and don't for 240vac.

That is a very common design.

the 300v car charges to 375v.

The capacitors in series will have a 400vdc maximum voltage rating which is barely enough. Note that the voltage rating goes down as they age or when they are hot, so you don't have much safety margin!

The problem I'm haveing with them is that even though they say under
voltage protected I've brunned one out charging a dead battery.

Undervoltage protection means it can handle too low an *input* voltage gracefully. Without undervoltage protection, the supply draws more input current as the input voltage goes down, in an effort to maintain full output. The supply overheats and destroys itself.

With undervoltage protection, reducing the input voltage reduces the output current that it will supply. This keeps it from overheating and failing; however, you also get less output current which may cause other problems.

When you connect a deeply discharged battery, the DC/DC is forced to operate in current limit. Some of these generic power supplies don't have current limit; they will either die or totally shut down if overloaded.

childreypa wrote:
Hey all,
This is only relevant because its about motors. I have water cooled my
computer, and now the weak link in my system is the pump. Yes I could
buy one specifically for this application but im looking at atleast 40
bucks. What I want to do is make a brushless disk "pancake motor"
similar to a windmill generator. The disk would be make of plexi glass
inside a water tight plexi glass compartment. It would have n impeller
on it. The coils would actuallt be outside the water chamber so there
would be no holes or water tight bearings needed. I suppose this would
be an induction motor, which means it can only be run on AC right? Can a
brushless disk motor be run on DC?

They already make magnetically coupled pumps. They are used for corrosive fluids, or when you want very long life (no seals to leak).

There are three basic styles. Both normally use AC motors (to avoid brushes and get longer life). The first is a conventional motor of any kind, with a large donut-shaped magnet on the shaft. The pump is attached to it. The body of the pump is plastic, and the magnet inside is coupled to the impeller. The spinning donut magnet on the outside spins the inside magnet to make it work. Having the magnetic force radial means there is low force on the bearings inside the pump. The best designs "float" the rotor in the working fluid, so there is no contact and the bearings last "forever".

The other style replaces the rotor of the motor with the pump and magnet assembly, forming a synchronous motor. Sometimes the rotor is a solid lump of iron, or even an induction motor rotor, which start better. This type costs more and tends to add motor heat to the fluid being pumped. They are smaller, but due to the necessarily larger air gap, they are less efficient.

The third type is rare, but interesting. If the fluid itself happens to be conductive or magnetic, then a conventional motor stator will move the fluid itself. A thought experiment; remove the core from a normal induction motor, and dunk it underwater. The water inside the hole where the rotor was will spin around! But for this to be practical, the fluid has to be very conductive (mercury, molten solder, sulfuric acid, etc.) or magnetic (like a ferrofluid; oil with a colloidal suspension of iron particles in it). Given that you don't need much flow or much pressure to cool your computer, you may be able to get this to work well enough with salt water.

Richard Acuti wrote:
Is the 80% DOD rule for 128 volts or 156 volts?

You've reached 80% DOD (Depth Of Discharge) when the voltage falls to 1.75v *under load*. How many amphours that is depends on the load current. A battery at 80% DOD with a 100 amp load is only about 50% DOD with a 25 amp load; you could connect a lighter load and get another 30% out of it.

When you measure a battery's *no-load* voltage after it has been sitting a long time (like overnight), you are measuring the *absolute* state of charge, not relative to any particular load.

I'm trying to figure out when I'm on "empty"... When I finally pulled
in to the house, I was at 120 volts and was only then starting to
notice some loss of pep.

The voltage immediately after arriving home is meaningless (except in a gross sense, to tell if you've reversed any cells or destroyed any batteries).

What matters is the voltage *under load* as you drove into the driveway. If it was still over 1.75v/cell, they ain't dead yet! :-)

That third type is really interesting. I wonder... I think salt water
would be to corrosive, even with an additive. Do you know of any decent
heat transfer fluids this would work for? Or maybe an additive?

> This is only relevant because its about motors. I have water cooled my
> computer, and now the weak link in my system is the pump. Yes I could
> buy one specifically for this application but im looking at atleast 40
> bucks. What I want to do is make a brushless disk "pancake motor"
> similar to a windmill generator. The disk would be make of plexi glass
> inside a water tight plexi glass compartment. It would have n impeller
> on it. The coils would actuallt be outside the water chamber so there
> would be no holes or water tight bearings needed. I suppose this would
> be an induction motor, which means it can only be run on AC right? Can
> brushless disk motor be run on DC?

They already make magnetically coupled pumps. They are used for
corrosive fluids, or when you want very long life (no seals to leak).

There are three basic styles. Both normally use AC motors (to avoid
brushes and get longer life). The first is a conventional motor of any
kind, with a large donut-shaped magnet on the shaft. The pump is
attached to it. The body of the pump is plastic, and the magnet inside
is coupled to the impeller. The spinning donut magnet on the outside
spins the inside magnet to make it work. Having the magnetic force
radial means there is low force on the bearings inside the pump. The
best designs "float" the rotor in the working fluid, so there is no
contact and the bearings last "forever".

The other style replaces the rotor of the motor with the pump and magnet

assembly, forming a synchronous motor. Sometimes the rotor is a solid
lump of iron, or even an induction motor rotor, which start better. This

type costs more and tends to add motor heat to the fluid being pumped.
They are smaller, but due to the necessarily larger air gap, they are
less efficient.

The third type is rare, but interesting. If the fluid itself happens to
be conductive or magnetic, then a conventional motor stator will move
the fluid itself. A thought experiment; remove the core from a normal
induction motor, and dunk it underwater. The water inside the hole where

the rotor was will spin around! But for this to be practical, the fluid
has to be very conductive (mercury, molten solder, sulfuric acid, etc.)
or magnetic (like a ferrofluid; oil with a colloidal suspension of iron
particles in it). Given that you don't need much flow or much pressure
to cool your computer, you may be able to get this to work well enough
with salt water.

Normally, making water conductive means adding ions - which is why Lee
mentioned sulfuric acid. As you can infer, adding ions makes it
corrosive. I don't think there's any additive you can put in it to
make it conductive but non-corrosive. Running salt water through your
computer just sounds like a bad idea anyway.
This is pretty much off topic and I'm guessing David Roden is about to
click the "send" button..
--
Martin K

On 4/25/07, childreypa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That third type is really interesting. I wonder... I think salt water
would be to corrosive, even with an additive. Do you know of any decent
heat transfer fluids this would work for? Or maybe an additive?

Check out this little piece I put up on you tube.

                   Gadget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhywPK7Vz0

visit my websites at
reverendgadget.com,
leftcoastelectric.com

I'm converting a 1986 Mazda (extended cab) pickup to electric.
I want to use the stock bed (it is pretty light).

How can I attach it, and have it lift to access the batteries underneath the bed -
I'm concerned about mounting it on the back, then when it swings up, the bottom/front of the bed (in front of the wheel-well/outer skin) hitting the back of the cab.

I'm thinking that it'll need to slide back a little, but I don't know what kind of mounting hardware would provide that functionality.

I've seen a few pictures of trucks with 'standard' beds lifted, but wasn't able to see any details about how the bed was mounted to avoid the clearance problem.

Suggestions?
Thanks!

On 4/25/07, Randy Burleson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm planning a small, simple 3-wheeler EV (half-on or smaller, see
below), and I'm at a point where I need to plan budget, and that means
picking a motor (series) and controller -- I'm pretty committed to AGMs
for high output and low weight. FWIW, I'm willing to pay a fair price
for motor and controller -- no need to dumpster-dive, but no need to
over-spend. My usage is basic commute, 30 miles round trip --
highway-capable preferred but not absolutely necessary. The plan is to
slide under 1000 pounds (<400 chassis, <100 body, <400 batteries, <150
motor, and precious little else), fantasy target is actually 800.

Is this going to based around an RQRiley plan? Just curious as to what
sort of three wheeler you are going to build. Tadpole or trike?

<snip>

Neat project idea! :) The ADC is obviously the first choice because of
price/power ratio, but if you wanted to spring a bit more cash you
could get the larger LEMCO motor, save a bit of weight, have more
efficiency, and get Regen.

--T

http://blueskydsn.com/BugE_Concept.html

They supposedly have a kit that you can buy, that includes all kinds of things -
I'm sure you could tailor the kit (don't include this, don't include that, etc) - so that you could use your own items (motor, controller, etc).
The BugE is only designed to go about 40mph, but living in Charlotte madhouse traffic (not freeway!) - I need something that can go up to at least 55mph...

Thus, when I finish my truck, and build my own BugE....

From an email I received from the Blue Sky folks, they expect folks to tweak their design;
I like the 3-wheeled design over a 2-wheeled (motorcycle) design (shall I go into the reasons?)
I broke my leg once on a motorcycle,
I'm lazy, I don't want to have to pick it up when/if I lay it down,
I don't want 'body damage' in the event I lay it down,
I like the BugE's canopy...

I don't know how helpful these folks will be, but I found their link on a PBS thing about "alternative energy/Car of the future" vehicles that PBS plans to do sometime this fall.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/car/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/car/my.html

Has anyone built an electric Doran or an electric Tri-Magnum?
http://www.rqriley.com/doran.html
http://www.rqriley.com/tri-mag.html

I like the idea of a larger (2-passenger) vehicle...

Also, don't forget the folks at rqriley.com
They're working the plans for a hybrid/diesel...
http://www.rqriley.com/xr3.htm

Ed Cooley
Work 704-427-0973
Wachovia Corporation
Enterprise Messaging

"damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

04/25/2007 11:37

Please respond to
ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
cc
Subject
> [...]

>terminals>; 43.8 lbs; $174.95 each, includes shipping) Low weight trumps
>cost per watt, but I'll miss the ability to equalize. I plan to use a
>bank of individal chargers to keep from gassing about a grand worth of
>AGMs.
>
>A potential point of complication is that I'm going to start with
>chain-drive and no transmission... I'm not sure if I can get the
>acceleration and range of speed I desire, but I will try.
>
>I'm open to suggestions on appropriate motors (and vendors!)... I'm
>thinking a 6.7" should scoot fairly well in such a lightweight rig, but
>have a hard time breaking my bigger-is-better hot-rod habit, and am also
>looking at 8" motors. I'm entirely baffled as to how big a controller I
>need... I've studied the EV Album and there's IMHO a lack of consensus
>for what is needed and what would just be nice to have.

Here's a link to one I found

http://hihontek.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824321726/Homepage.htm

On 4/24/07, Peter Gabrielsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Could you share the name of the company?

--
www.electric-lemon.com