  1) Re: Off topic too often
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: 1986 mazda, using stock pickup bed
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: A123 Hiring
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) EV conversion business model (was: YouTube video)
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Financing a conversion
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: [EV] RE: We're screwed. NIce story ..
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Lithium Iron phosphate with BMS
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Electric truck project.
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Gear Vendors Overdrive worth it in an EV?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Gear Vendors Overdrive worth it in an EV?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: [EV] RE: We're screwed. NIce story ..
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Linear motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV conversion business model (was: YouTube video)
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: White Zombie at 720 Volts
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Electrical connections
        by Henry Heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Raptur 600 Hookitup!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Breaking in a new pack
        by "Roger Daisley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) wanted: small controller
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Light EV, controller/motor?
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Let's try to keep the EVDL focused on EVs, please.

amen !

i have been guilty too .. will rectify .. thanks for being
a kind moderator ;-)

..peekay

(i HAVE started getting a few off the list emails .. better that way
to pursue the lines of enquiry on some subjects)

Frank wrote -
> How can I attach it, and have it liftto access the
> batteries underneath the bed -
> I'm concerned about mounting it on theback, then when

On our website, www.TEVA2.com, on the projects page, scroll down to Mark
Brueggemann's S-10 Bed Lift Details.
Check it out, it might give you just want you want or at least some ideas.

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org
www.Airphibian.com

I'm on it :D

I'll do anything to get a decent job in real industry that is willing to use
my education, knowledge and experience at battery field.

Thanks for a tip..

Marcin

Yup, I see a lot of companies mentioning similar prices for the high
energy style. That is why I am hopeful the hi-power will also come done
sharply and soon. It is also why I am keeping an Eye on those few
companies that do both hi-energy and hi-power.

Ryan,

Like I said, once we figured it out, it was sweet.  No
motor idle.  From a stop, it was just like direct
drive with 1st gear ratio.  Instant torque.  Wheel
spin if you wanted it.  Completely controllable.

Was an old GM hydromatic 3 speed from junk yard, out
of a Cutlas, I think.  Used a modified induction
motor.  A lot of mods to mechanical motor mount.  Had
a higher ratio chain and sprocket made for motor
shaft.  Were able to run motor to 10,000 RPM.  Redid
the valve body and eliminated auto shift so driver
just pushed lever to shift when he wanted without
lifting right foot.

Kept burning band clutch on the 2nd gear set.  Finally
figured out that regen was the problem.  Reverse
torque on the band was like pushing a rope even though
rotation was correct.  Went to regen in 3rd only and
never rebuilt the thing after that.  And there was a
100 other little issues to work out.

We just used it on the race track, but the concept was
valid and could have gone to the street.

Jeff

--- Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff Major wrote:
>
> > one years ago without the torque converter and had
> > do a lot of extra work because there was an
> internal
> > pump you lose without the idling motor.  We went
> to an
> > external pump, but it took a lot of trial and
> error to
> > get it right.  Once there it was sweet.
>
> What was it like with no converter?  When you
> applied the throttle,
> did it act like normal or lag or lurch?  Was it
> streetable/tolerable?

--- Begin Message --- While I was home on vaca in Florida, I too was wondering exactly how to finance a business in converting electric cars. My uncle has a master's in business and would help me but I didn't get into the subject with him (yet).

Consider this: The first thing you have to do is target a customer base. That's more complex than it sounds. Who would you try to sell electric cars to? I've already seen the "niche" conversion people that swap out Porsche and Ferrari drive trains for $80-$100k. They cater towards the socially conscious wealthy. I don't think we need anymore of those.

Target the middle class driving masses? Maybe that's not such a good idea yet. They can still afford their Ford Excursions and Yukons and afford to fuel them, they just complain about it. I haven't met many middle class people willing to deal with the range limitation or give up driving around their "Texas Cadillacs". At least, not on the East Coast.

I had an idea about targeting lower-middle class income people. Why? Because current gas prices really do present a budget problem for them right now. Because people like this often buy "beater" ICE's that are the dirtiest in our fleet, break down often resulting in expensive repairs. Assuming they could afford a "budget" EV conversion, this demographic would profit the most from ownership in terms of reduced fuel and maintenance costs. It's just getting them into one that's the challenge.

Now, what do I mean by "budget" EV? I mean used but clean, structurally sound, 10-20 year old cars that are lacking in frills like A/C, CD player, power windows etc. I'm talking about the kind of vehicles we are building right here....Beetles, Metros, older Rangers and S-10's, Escorts etc. And yes, converting the buyer's own donor chassis (subject to my company's safety inspection) would be an option.

Consider: Electro Automotive's basic kit is $5k.
KTA kits suitable for highway capable cars are $5k and up.
CAN EV is a little pricey at $9k.

Let's say I make one of them my supplier and get some kind of bulk purchase discount (5%?), OR I go the harder route and secure all of my supplies myself individually from the various companies and get bulk discounts from them -maybe- reducing costs further, (8%?) That's $4500-$4100 for a kit. $1200 for batteries.

So let's say a married guy with 1.5 kids drives up to my shop in his old compact pickup with a dying ICE engine. His wife drives the "nicer" car to work every day. He sits down with my "sales associate" to determine his driving requirements. It turns out that his commute is 17 miles, mixed driving, one way. He'll check with his boss about charging up at work and we'll assume for now that he can. We inspect his truck and the frame and body are straight. Transmission is in fair shape. Body has minimal rust. We can convert him for $5700, not including labor.

I'm no business major. In the theoretical situation above, I run into some variables I can't account for:

1. Labor. I have no idea how to quantify this. At first I believe I'll have 0-1 employees. 2. Overhead. I've no idea what my shop rent will cost. I already have a large array of tools (including my own air tools and compressor) but I'm sure I'll need a few more.
3. Profit. Some percentage of profit is required to provide for growth.

Let's just say a very gross, rough estimate to convert his vehicle is $8-9k. That's within many people's grasp. Financing is definitely an issue. I'm not going to finance anyone but there has to be a way to get some kind of loan through a bank.

I dunno...maybe the best way to go about this is to be an "auto recycler", converting cars that people own vs. buying donors, converting them and selling them.

What do you guys think?

Rich A.

Don’t quit your job – Take Classes Online and Earn your Degree in 1 year. Start Today! http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866146&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866144
(The original subject seems inappropriate for this discussion so I changed
it.  I suspect the topic is off-topic for this group.  If so, David will let
us know.)

    Ryan> I was thinking more along the lines of a person provides the
    Ryan> vehicle to be converted, and the needed components
    Ryan> installed(motor/controller/charger/batteries) and the monthly
    Ryan> payments to pay off the conversion items.

    Ryan> Can some sort of small loan be taken out from a bank to purchase
    Ryan> the needed conversion items?

    Ryan> Buy a new car for ~$16,000 or create an electric for ~$8,000?  I
    Ryan> walk in the bank and say "I need a loan for $8,000" and they say
    Ryan> "what for"?  What's the valid reason that will land the loan?

I don't think the bank will care too much what you plan to do with the
money.  All they want is that the loan be secured with a valuable enough
asset so they can get their money back should you default.  Heck, if you
need a loan for less than $10,000 you might be able to swing it with a
credit card. ;-) 401k plans often allow you to borrow money against them.
Since you're borrowing from yourself, you have the advantage that the
interest you pay also goes to you.  Then of course there are home equity
loans.

    Ryan> What would the monthly payment be on a small bank loan?

Your question is underconstrained.  There are enough variables (loan amount,
term, interest rate) that there isn't one correct answer.  Here's a loan
rate calculator:

    http://www.bankrate.com/brm/popcalc2.asp

Punch in some numbers.

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff in the sixties,

    >> As gas gets more expensive, I hope that some people ( the smart ones,
    >> at least) will give up their 6000# SUVs, and maybe think about living
    >> less than 100 miles from where they work.  People may also make some
    >> kind of effort to carpool, even if it isn't as convenient.

    Eduardo> I moved closer when I starded spending US$100 a week on gas. I
    Eduardo> used to drive 60 miles a day. I now live 5 miles from work. I
    Eduardo> still drive only because I need to go visit clients. If I am
    Eduardo> certain I'll be in my desk all day I take the bus or a taxi.

Where I live (Chicago area), people are still moving further out from the
city because house prices are "too high" closer in.  They never seem to
factor in the cost of their longer commute.  Of course, neither do the banks
making the loans on their houses.

--

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:34:40 -0400, "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wait a sec....
>
> if they mean $2/AH for the base 50AH pack, thats $100 per cell. So
> you're talking base cost of about $9k/15kWh, plus shipping.
>
> Now that is very interesting :) that's $0.60 Wh and the total weight
> and space is pretty low.
>
> --T

Plus Shipping from China?

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

> From: "Elia Tarasoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I've got a 1993 Ford Explorer I can use. (it's almost dead :)
> The only problem besides the extreme weight is that its an automatic.

could replace with standard and go clutchless , so no peddle is needed , this
part is easy

> I was thinking I could take out the transmission altogether.

you'll need a bigger motor and controller along with at least $350 worth of
contactors , so the tranny can save you 2k or more .

> The performance I want isn't that much (until I get more
> time/money/experience for EV):
then get a standard tranny

> - 100 km/h max speed
1k 156 zilla wll do this
> - 60-80 km range
> - spend less than $10000 CAD

golf cart batteries will do this and the zilla could handle 26 of them
> Is this possible?
Yes
> I think I could do it, since I have lots of room for batteries.
I have 40 golf cart batteries in my pu and its smaller than the ranger .

> There's also a few shops in town which specialize in industrial strength AC
> motors.
Stick with what everbody else is doing ,  the motor is less that %20 of the
costs ,so saving on this will cost you big in the proformance end .

> (So very much cheaper than ones I've seen advertized as specific to EV.)
> The hardest part I think would be to convert battery power to something the
> motor can use.
yes you'll spend alot there ,

> I'd prefer to not use a kit, since that'd up the cost significantly. :/

Ya the kits are for people who want to " get her done " and have supper nice
job when there finnished ,,, :-)  , If you can weld than making the battery
boxes is not a problem and you can have as many batteries as you like .
Steve Clunn www.grassrootsev.com

Hello Ryan,

I have contacted them at one time way back in 1985, for use as a under drive
for my 7000 lb EV which has a 5.57:1 axle. I normally start out in 1st gear
which gives me 19.5:1 overall ratio which I can accelerated keeping or
passing some ICE's while keeping the motor amps at or below 300 amps.

The problem with Gear Vender units, that you need to bring up the rpm to
about 500 rpm so it will start to work.  This means you either will have to
start out at the axle ratio (with no transmission) and when you get to 500
rpm, then you can engaged the over drive unit.

This will work fine as a overdrive for a EV, but will not work for me as a
underdrive trying to start out at 1 rpm.   They may have something now that
can lock these gears up at a lower rpm.