  1) Broke college student needing some experience
        by geoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Brake drag
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Broke college student needing some experience
        by "Ed K." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Can my car be a UPS for my house?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Broke college student needing some experience
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Can my car be a UPS for my house?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: ADC 6.7 redline - now rev limiter
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Upstate NY EV Groups?
        by "mclTunes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Brake drag
        by "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Brake drag
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Newest Curtis controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla
controller?
        by "Dr. Andy Mars" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Electric Aircraft
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) RE: corvette conversion
        by "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Upstate NY EV Groups?
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: car (and current) surges while driving
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: DOD question - new/old debate
        by "Alan Gideon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) light tango kind of model .. chinese
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Newest Curtis controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla
controller?
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Electric Aircraft
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Upgrade to NiMH & Last Call  Lee Hart Battery balancer mail thread
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Re: Upstate NY EV Groups?
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Begin Message --- So if most tachs expect two pulses per revolution then I can either build a circuit to skip half of the pulses (I would probably use a uP for this and the saftey interlock) or I could just leave the pulses alone and the tach will read twice the actual value. Both of those choices sound accetable to me. Thanks for the help.

As far as the safety interlock, it should be very easy to do with one of my Basic Stamps I have. Just use the built in frequency count function and issue a signal to open a normally closed relay or contact or both once it goes above a certain frequency. It also should be very straight forward to count only every other pulse and send a new set of pulses to the tach.

damon

From: Jude Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:34:51 -0400

I understand that most tachs expect 2 pulses per rev. (Mine does.) EVParts sells a tach sensor, and a magnet collar set up for the 2-pulse bit. When I got my tach sensor, it had two extra magnets in it; a bit of cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) and you could easily modify it for 4 pulses.

As for the safety interlock, I've been trying to find a rev limiter for some time. The only thing I can find for certain is at the Harley shop across town, and it's supposed to skip alternating ignition pulses and other fancy stuff. I'm not convinced that would be safe for EV use. Someone on the list mentioned having them, but I could never contact him again. Maybe he'll mention it in this thread.

Jude "Spark Lad" Anthony

damon henry wrote:
One of the mods that we did to "Swiss Cheese", the motor for our Datsun conversion, was set it up to use the RPM sensor the Otmar sells to go with his Zillas. I have ordered the RPM sensor, but am starting with an Alltrax not a Zilla. I would at a minimum be interested in having a motor tach, and may even build a safety interlock to limit the max revs on the motor. The safety interlock seems like it will be straight forward enough. I just need to count the frequency and open the main contactor or disconnect the KSI signal or both (any opinions welcome) at some predetermined redline. The tach I would expect to be easy as well, although I do not know how most tachs work. There is already an aftermarket tach mounted on the steering column in the truck, so it would be great to be able to use it if possible. The only thing I know is that the sensor pulses 4 times per revolution. Is there an aftermarket tach that is directly compatible? What is considered a safer RPM limit for an ADC 6.7? I'm under the impression that the smaller motors can spin faster than the larger motors before they start to self destruct. Is 6K an acceptible red line figure?

thanks
damon

Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

Don’t quit your job – Take Classes Online and Earn your Degree in 1 year. Start Today! http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866146&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866144
George Swartz wrote:
I always thought there actually was a problem for EV's using standard disk brakes because of the drag. There is no retraction system in standard disk brakes to get the pads off the rotor, unlike drum brakes, where the brake shoes come completely off the drum by spring retraction of at least a few thousandths of an inch. So, are piston retractors available for disk brakes as a retrofit or rebuild kit?

There is a retraction "system", but it barely works. Disk brakes typically have only one piston, moving the pad on one side of the rotor. They depend on the caliper to slide freely on pins to apply force to the pad on the other side of the rotor. When you release the brakes, they depend on the rubber seals to roll-back a little, to pull the pad away from the rotor on one side, and the floating pins to let the caliper slide back to release the other side due to run-out (the slight wobble and out-of-roundness) of the rotor.

It doesn't take many miles before the rubber seals take a "set" and don't pull back, and the sliding pins for the caliper get dirty and rusty and so don't slide.

So, 99% of cars with more than 10k miles on them will have dragging brakes.

attend our meetings.

See: http://nteaa.evgroups.com/

Ed Koffeman

I do understand and while they used to exist in trace brand inverters,
there were a few problems where they failed to switch and so an
automatic switch was made illegal for GRID-TIE systems. But NOT illegal
for backup systems. There are 100's or 1000's of backup generators in
automatic use in this city alone. An automatic switch is ok and can
switch in under a cycle. As long as the system is not designed to put
power back on the grid, you are ok.

Each of our buildings at work has a 1/2 semi truck sized CAT generator
permanently mounted out back. Some buisnesses even switch to generators
off of natural gas to save money.

Personally I was thinking of splitting up the circuits in the house to
create a critical circuit that is on a backup battery resideing in the
garage or a bunker in back, this huge cheap lead acid pack is also the
dump pack for quick fillups!

Lee!, combining with navigation system, Pure Genius!

On Sun, April 29, 2007 11:05 am, Ed K. wrote:
> Sign up for the North Texas Electric Vehicle Association mailing list, and
> attend our meetings.
>
> See: http://nteaa.evgroups.com/
>
> Ed Koffeman

And when you've moved to Austin, there's an active group here as well:

http://austinev.org

Get on our mailing list to find out when things are happening. These days
on most weekends there's someone doing something on an EV, maintaining or
converting. For example, my garage is open almost every Saturday from
2-5pm as I continue building my electric truck. Announcements about this
and other "open garage" meetings are posted on the mailing list and
entries are then posted in our event calendar.

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

One last detail in case people are looking at abusing a sunnyboy
grid-tie inverter.

The inverter is driven off the incoming line. It cannot make power
without the line present. It can't be used for an autonomous system
without some external driver.

Bugs me that when the power goes out on a sunny day my solar just sits
there. Since I can do anything I like on the dc side, a dc powered
charger to my dump pack (must have MPPT in it) or an inverter to a
seperate "emergany circuit" may be an option.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm using a setup similar to what Randy ( Canev) mentioned here some time ago.

It's a two-step limiter. The first step (at 5500 RPM) disconnects the throttle pot. This has a deadband of about 500 Hz, so the throttle comes back when the motor RPM drops to 5000 RPM. This would do the job if the driver just kept it in a low gear too long while accelerating.

The second step is at 5800 RPM. Here, the KSI terminal and main ( positive side) contactor drop out. This one has a bigger dead band, and won't reset the KSI and contactor until the RPM drops to about 4800 HZ. This should prevent contactor "buzzing". This is pretty much in case of controller failure ( or, stuck potbox, jammed throttle cable, etc)

An added benefit with a rev limiter that drops out a contactor is it will act as a failsafe in case of "full-on" controller failure. You could punch in the clutch without causing the motor to self-destruct if the controller did this. ( Then, in my case, either hitting the brakes would disable the positive contactor, or turning off the ignition ( key) switch would drop out both main contactors.

It's still possible, though, to over-rev the motor by, for instance, driving down a steep hill with the tranny in a low gear. Or, by shifing into first at 60 MPH. In both cases, the motor could over-rev without any electrical power. Hopefully, in those situations, the driver would notice the tach hitting the redline. I've though about adding a buzzer that comes on above a certain RPM to warn the driver, , but haven't done that yet.

Phil

From: "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 07:50:34 -0700

It would be relatively simple to wire an interlock to cutout power at a set rpm. It's only a matter of determing at what output from the tachometer to cutout. This would be easiest to do with a simple bar style LED tach, as you could wire directly to the LED that lights up at your chosen rpm and use that to signal your interlock open.

It's probably the least sophisticated way to do it and would be anything but 'soft' limiting, but it should be effective. It would also probably be a quick way to wear out the contacts if one held rpms to that limit however.

- Kip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jude Anthony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>