  1) HARD TIME ON CURTIS WARRANTY CLAIM?   (WAS Re: Newest Curtis controllers
OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla controller?)
        by robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Electric Aircraft
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Newest Curtis controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla
controller?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Can my car be a UPS for my house?
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Can my car be a UPS for my house?
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: corvette conversion
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Newest Curtis controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go
 with Zilla controller?
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Electric Aircraft
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Quick question on running two motors
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) EV Experience with Battery Desulfation?
        by Tim Kutscha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re:  corvette conversion
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Quick question on running two motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EV Experience with Battery Desulfation?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV Experience with Battery Desulfation?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Re: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.
        by Mike Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) (no subject)
        by Jason Franzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Just spoke with Spencer Baird, who owned an S-10 EV
and now has a small car EV with Curtis controllers. On
his S-10 conversion by Canev, Baird sez that his truck
was converted to 144V DC around 2000, and he had TWO
Curtis controllers die "in their sleep" within a
month. Said he had a hard time getting them replaced
under warranty, and Curtis repaired them (he can't
remember whether he had to pay.)

Now, his ontrollers failed, didn't blow up, or burn
up, while the truck wasn't used. Reason for this?

His Curtis controllers weren't the "whistling" model,
so can we assume that Baird had an older model that
was prone to failure?

He had the 144V model.

Also said his truck drew up to  435A or so, according
to a sophisticated digital ammeter. The Tofino area is
flat, too.

Can anybody provide details of their RECENT (2006, or
2007) experiences with a Curtis warranty claim?
(Otmar's is posted in the Cafe Electric website.)

Interestingly, Baird's new electric small car is 96V.
Is it fair to say that, at 96V, the Curtis controller
is robust?

BTW, I haven't confirmed any of Baird's allegations
about the Curtis controllers.

--- robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There were posts on several forums about "lots" of
> Curtis controller failures on electric vehicles,
> which
> leads me to the following questions, in respect to a
> 120V EV:
>
> - What is the waiting time for a Godzilla (Otmar)
> controller?
>
> - Are the newest Curtis 120V (72V-120V) 400A
> controllers better built now, so they don't blow up
> at
> low speeds? How about the 120V-144V model, 550A
> model,
> is that a "solid" controller? Are the newer models
> the
> ones that make the low-speed whine-whistle-buzz
> sounds?
>
> - Our "non-whistling" (12+ year old model)120V 400A
> Curtis failed at low speed, while moving from a
> stop,
> reversing. Should it be equipped with a precharge
> circuit, to prevent this from happening? (This
> controller failure doesn't appear to be in the power
> section; it may be in the controls section.) Is a
> failure likely to happen again, after we repair it?
>
> - What is the bullet-proof 120V controller for an
> S-15
> EV, in your experience?
>
> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

> Photo link: Using the world's first licensed
> Revived Battery electric pickup truck
> for everyday errandshttp://my-ev-diary.blogspot.com/

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Photo link: Using the world's first licensed
Revived Battery electric pickup truck
for everyday errandshttp://my-ev-diary.blogspot.com/

--- Begin Message --- Yeah a motor with a 65 hp continuous rating is no lightweight either. A 1 hr flight time is not all that practical for say a Long EZ either. You need that much flight time for reserve if you even want to leave your airport.

The electric PPG or an electric glider launch has merit. You only need enough to get to an altitude with thermals so you can cut power and soar for as long as thermals persist.

There's a company called EEStor which has promised to make a barium titaniate capacitor (not a battery) so powerful that it would be the drive shaft equivalent of almost 5 gal of gasoline feeding an engine. Several hundred lbs but still unbelievably useful and practical. Unlike a battery, a capacitor likely never wears out and has few limits on how fast it can be charged or discharged. Now there have been plenty of tech fraud claims of this caliber, however, EEStor has done some remarkable capacitor advances in the past, though nothing of this magnitude has been proven. The world's waiting to see if they pan out.

Danny

Bill Dube wrote:

746 Watts/HP  x 65 HP is about 50,000 watts.

There are marvelous batteries out there, but there are no miracle batteries.

I gave an example of one of the very most efficient airplanes (the Long EZ designed by Burt Rutan) that would make an hour long flight on the very best possible available rechargeable batteries. Making the project larger or smaller won't alter the physics. You might make a two or three hour flight going about the same distance, but at a slower speed.

Carrying the extra weight of batteries in a car does not make a huge impact on the distance the car will travel because rolling resistance (the amount of HP required to keep the car rolling, not including aero drag) is small. The equivalent on an airplane is "induced drag". It takes a lot more HP on an airplane to hold a pound up than is does to make a car roll.

The typical "bounty" for weight on a commercial airplane is about $100 per pound. That is, you will gladly increase the cost of the airplane $100 to get rid of a pound. this is because the airplane will burn many times more than $100 worth of fuel to keep that pound up in the air over its service life. It is also a pound less cargo it can carry for revenue on each trip.

Run the airplane on biodiesel instead.

Bill Dube'

At 01:26 PM 4/29/2007, you wrote:

It's an Ultralight aircraft called a PPG. Very high lift and low weight. I am only using motors in the 8-15hp range. Check out youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=s3pgGDQIgjM and http://youtube.com/watch?v=iVN_qEtBqjg to see a flying prototype. What about the new LiPo batterys? Do they not out preform Li-Ion Batteries? Could you explain "746x65 ~ 50 kW?"