  1) RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: HARD TIME ON CURTIS WARRANTY CLAIM?   (WAS Re: Newest Curtis
controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla controller?)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Electric Aircraft
        by David Bettencourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Nationwide Insurance Co... Help!
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: ADC 6.7 redline - now rev limiter
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re:  corvette conversion
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Electric Aircraft
        by "Alan Gideon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Acceleration / Performance info using 9" ADC and Cutris 550 A
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: HARD TIME ON CURTIS WARRANTY CLAIM?   (WAS Re: Newest Curtis
 controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla controller?)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: No "Juiced Up" at PODC
        by "BadFishRacing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re:  corvette conversion
 13) Re: No "Juiced Up" at PODC
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: Any experience(s) with this company can repair Curtis controllers?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Electric Aircraft
 16) Re: corvette conversion
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: corvette conversion
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Curtis Controller - experiences
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Electric Aircraft
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: HARD TIME ON CURTIS WARRANTY CLAIM?   (WAS Re: Newest Curtis
controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla controller?)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Electric Aircraft
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: cartoon
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: ZILLA water-cooling photos URL?
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hey Damon

Sorry I left ya hanging on this one D.  As you stated
last post I'd stay at or below 6K on the 6.7's,
they've lost their tug anyway at that RPM so why go
above it.  Better safe than sorry as it takes but a
nano-second for them to blow.  I'm sure people have
gotten away with higher but you'd be in the danger
zone as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway just wanted to chime in here real fast.
Hope this helps

robert mat wrote:

> Reason for my questions? I'm an info-seeker, and I
> want a 4-wheeled EV that is as robust as my modded
> 2-wheelers.

Fair enough, though having a controller fail after 12yrs of service is
hardly indicative of it being unreliable.  I realise you've only had the
truck a short while, so it seems like a sudden failure, but how much to
you really know about how that controller has been used and abused over
the other 11.5 years of its life, before you got it?

> The Curtis controller failed after I a few dead-starts
> in second and third gear. It was a sunny day, and
> Vancouver's Al Gore, Dr. Fred Bass, had just looked at
> it at the gallery rally, before I drove to another two
> errands; it failed after moving an inch in reverse,
> after a hour-long park, with no charging involved.

Bear in mind that something may have been weakened over time and just
happened to fail at this time.

> The day prior, though, was a 30 cm. rain-day, and I
> drove the S-15 a lot. So, highway spray could have
> seeped in, I suppose. But wouldn't Randy at CANEV
> already have built rain-spray into the chosen location
> for the controller?

Well, the controller appear to have lasted for 12yrs since Randy built
the truck, and it didn't just get rainy on the west coast since you've
had it, so I suspect the location was probably fairly well chosen ;^>
But, this also means it has been 12yrs since Randy built the truck, and
so who knows if the controller is even in the location he chose these
days.

> Our battery experiments and charging are well within
> industry standard procedures per battery, after the
> batteries were installed in the S-10.
>
> The KSI also worries me, even though the voltage was
> only 135V (tested) when the controller failed. One of
> our group thought the inbound voltage should be lower.

You had driven the truck for a couple of errands and had not been
charging, yet the nominal pack voltage on your 120V maximum rated
controller was 135V when it blew?  Are you running a 132V nominal pack
or 144V?  Either way, this voltage is higher than the controller is
designed for, and the peak voltage on charge is going to be higher than
that of a 120V pack even if you are within "industry standard procedures
per battery".

The 120V max rated Curtis lasted 11.5 yrs (approx.) with a 120V pack and
died fairly soon after being used with a 132v+ nominal pack...hmmm.

Bill Dube wrote:
Focus on the batteries and put aside any drive system design efforts at first.

A very small two-seat airplane needs about 65 HP. This is 746x65 ~ 50 kW.

Making this assumption, and the one hour (powered) flight time assumption, dictate the results. They also ignore the potential for developing an efficient aircraft. Early two seat aircraft in the 30's flew on 38-45 HP; a foot launched Easy Riser can fly on about 5 HP if that power is efficiently converted to thrust. Had the FAA actually enforced Part 103's 254 lb weight limit on ultralights, we could have seen the development of efficient aircraft. Aloha David Bettencourt
Hi Jerry,
I like your ideas and would really like to put something together like
that. But Im having a hard time visualizing it. Are there any pictures,
diagrams, or websites you can point me to so I can see some first hand.
This will be my first try at an ev and want something tat works before
dropping a lot on the 1000amp controller I want eventually. Thanks so
much for the info.
Paul

From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:16:49 -0700

> [...]
>> controllers.
>> A 3 step contactor controller takes 9 contactors.  A 3
>> step rectactor  can be built with 3 contactors and 6
>> diodes.  The one I was going to  build took 5 contactor
>> but included one for field weakening and one for  a
>> startup resistor.
>> damon
>>
>> Here is the original message from Lee Hart I was working
>> off of.
>> No; the rectactor is a better circuit. Here it is (view
>> with a fixed width font like Courier New or Fixedsys):
>>

>_________________________________||__________||___ |
>>           _|_       __|__+   |   ||   |  |   ||   | |
>>          D1 /_\  S4a   ___ B1  |   S1   |  |   S2   | _|_
>>              |____||____|  -   |        |  |_      _| D5
>>         /_\       +__|__  ||   _|_     |___|/___|
>\/\/\/ | |       B2 ___        /_\ D2     +|\-         | R1
>>         |_ |        -  |__________|          C1
>>         _|_    _| MOTOR |      S3         |
>>                 S5 ___    _| FIELD |______||_________|
>>                                |     _| |      ||
>>     |                           |    | ____|_____
>>      |                           |____| _|_       __|__+
>>      _|_                               | D3 /_\  S4b
>>    ___ B3      /_\ D6                           _|_
>> |____||____|  -        |                      MOTOR   /
>\ +__|__  ||   _|_          |                    ARMATURE |
>>     | B4 ___        /_\ D4       |
>>          \___/
>> |__________|___________|________________________________|
>> B1-B4 are your four 12v batteries. S1 is your main
>> contactor, and has capacitor C1 across it as a snubber.
>> R1 is your starting resistor, and S2 is the bypass
>> contactor for it.
>> S4 is your 12v/24v series/parallel contactor. When open,
>> B3 and B4 are in parallel via diodes D3 and D4; and B1
>> and B2 are in parallel via diodes D1 and D2. When you
>> close S4, it connects B1 and B2 in series, and B3 and B4
>> in series.
>> S3 is your 24v/48v series/parallel contactor. It works
>> with diodes D5 and D6 to select 24v or 48v.
>>
>> S5 is a field weaking contactor. It wires part of the
>> starting resistor across the field to get a speed halfway
>> between two voltage steps.
>> Notice that at full voltage (48v), there are no diodes in
>> the power path. At 24v, there is only one diode in the
>> power path (D5 and D6 are effectively in parallel, each
>> carrying 1/2 the motor current). At 12v, there is two
>> diode drops in the power path (D1, D2, D3, and D4 are
>effectively in parallel, each carrying 1/4th the motor
>> current).
>> Also note that no contactor ever needs to switch the full
>> 48v. In an emergency shutdown, opening all contactors
>> doesn't have more than 12v across any of them.
>> --
>> "Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful
>> , committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's
>> the only thing that ever has!" -- Margaret Mead
>> --
>> Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377

Bill,

You need to bring your insurance producer as much info as possible. You can
also tell them that all major insurers will underwrite an EV.

If all else fails complain to your department of insurance

From: Roger Stockton
> I'm with Steve on this: I'd suspect that the controllers saw too
> high of a peak voltage while the truck was charging... For a 144V
> max controller this suggests the KSI input will survive over 200V,
> but I strongly doubt that Curtis used bus caps with more than a
> 200V rating for the power stage.

The Curtis 1221C-7401 (rated 72-120v) controller has 160v rated electrolytics.
The Curtis 1231C-8601 (rated 96-144v) has 200v electrolytics. A decent charger
should never reach these voltages; however, crude ones can go this high.

The real problem is that as electrolytics age, their specs get worse. Their
voltage rating goes down, and their ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance goes up.
A high ESR allows higher voltage spikes during controller operation. I suspect
that weak or failing capacitors have  killed many controllers.

> The other possibility is humidity; the Tofino area can be quite
> wet, and if the case seals on the Curtis were a bit leaky its life
> would be shortened.

The Curtis case only *looks* like it is sealed. In no time at all, they develop
cracks between the case and potting compound in the ends. Another common reason
I see for controller failures is from water inside the case.

--
"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
doing it."    --    Chinese proverb

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- For those that don't follow electricmotorcycles.net, guess you should.... I've posted about my recent trials with 96V in the Piranha. Torque is currently uncontrollable. Yes, I'm still running the albright controller which some question. After the installation of wheeliebars, she should be a contender. Guess it will definately be an old school/new school battle.
Lead Acid Hawkers - Series/Parallel with contactors
vs.
Milwaukee Li-Ions - 2K Zilla

Darin
BadFishRacing

From: Phil Marino
> Steve- are you using 6V golf cart batteries? ... Is it possible
> that the car's inability to climb steep hills in second (or
> higher) gear is caused by battery voltage sag at high current?

That would seem unlikely. The controller steps the voltage down and so the
current up. Current is what makes the torque, and torque is what lets you climb
hills. Even if the batteries had tremendous amounts of sag, the controller
should still be able to deliver its full current limit; just at a lower
voltage. You'd climb the steepest hill, but slowly.

Steve Powers wrote:
>> I have the Curtis 120 V / 550 A model running at 108 V in my
>> '93 Festiva with 9" ADC... even with my 2200 lb car including
>> batteries, it can't get up steep hills in any gear higher than
>> 1st (15 -20 MPH).

Something sounds wrong. Unless the Curtis is hot, or its current limit  pot is
turned way down, it should be delivering 500 amps or so to the motor. 500 amps
to an ADC 9" motor makes 110 ft.lbs of torque. That's probably more than the
Festiva's ICE. You should be able to climb hills at least as well.

>> In between, I used the GE EV-1B running at 96 V / 320 A.  The
>> performance was more jerkey on startup, top speed in each gear
>> was higher than the Curtis, but it gave less range (maybe 10-20%
>> less range) and it is known to be a "battery eater."

This implies that your Curtis isn't delivering even 320 amps. Is it getting
hot? (The Curtis cuts back current if it gets hot.) Is the current limit pot
turned down? (there's a pot behind the screws in the side of the case).

From: Peter VanDerWal
> I thought UltraLights by law could only be single seater planes?

No, there's a category for a 2-place ultralight, intended to be used as a
trainer aircraft.

> Comparing the requirements of a single seater untralight to a
> two-seat light plane seems almost like an apples to oranges
> comparison to me.

There is almost a continuous spectrum of aircraft weights, ranging from hang
gliders at well under 100 lbs to modern equivalents of the old Piper J3 Cubs
which are almost ultralights.

--
"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
doing it."    --    Chinese proverb
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377

> The Curtis 1221C-7401 (rated 72-120v) controller has 160v
> rated electrolytics. The Curtis 1231C-8601 (rated 96-144v)
> has 200v electrolytics. A decent charger should never reach
> these voltages; however, crude ones can go this high.

160V is 2.67V/cell on a 120V pack.  For Trojan floodeds this is the
normal charge voltage at -20C, and is a level than can be reached during
the constant current finish/equalise portion of a charge cycle even at
normal temperatures (though 2.5-2.6V/cell is probably more typical).

Bob appears to have been pushing the limits of his 1221B by using a 132V
nominal pack, and the 160V rating of the caps would have been reached at
a completely normal 2.43V/cell level... except that the caps were
already almost 12years old and so probably even 160V may have been
pushing it for them.

I have an ultralight, a powered parachute.
UL are ruled under FAR Part 103.
103 does not allow two seaters.
Many years ago the UL crowd argued it was dangerous since there was no way at all to train new pilots other than sending them up solo. Thus the 6088 Exemption came about, which basically says that the items in 103 regarding # of seats, weight, and fuel capacity are modified if certain conditions are met (operated by a flight instructor for instructional use). It was fairly simple to get an instructor's license. Many got it just to fly with their spouse, friends, whatever and call it instruction. "ultralight" is not an official defined term by the FAA. Craft using the 6088 Exemption are still governed by the rest of 103 and generally still called "ultralights".

A couple of years ago the FAA got into this "Sport Pilot" initiative, which creates a new category of sport aircraft and pilot license. It is supposed to be easier to get than a pilot's license. It allows much heavier and faster craft than 103 allowed. Many of them available now have a continuous fuselage and you'd much sooner associate them with "aircraft" as opposed to these exposed tube and nylon/dacron wing ultralights. However, the FAA gave the 6088 Exemption a death sentence and requires all 2-seaters and pilots to register and operate under SP. It's pretty painful for the average flying Joe, hardly appropriate to get into details here, but damn the process is tough and expensive and I see nothing useful it does for anyone but kick masses of people out of the sport.

From: Peter VanDerWal
I thought UltraLights by law could only be single seater planes?

No, there's a category for a 2-place ultralight, intended to be used as a
trainer aircraft.
Comparing the requirements of a single seater untralight to a
two-seat light plane seems almost like an apples to oranges
comparison to me.

There is almost a continuous spectrum of aircraft weights, ranging from hang
gliders at well under 100 lbs to modern equivalents of the old Piper J3 Cubs
which are almost ultralights.

Makes sense, thanks!

Now, since regulaters went internal, is there a way to do that without opening the output with a high current relay, and any idea what happens to an alternator if you open the output? Maybe an older alternator with an external regulator, would be a better bet.

Marty
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>