  1) Re: Dead start acceleration issues
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: HARD TIME ON CURTIS WARRANTY CLAIM?   (WAS Re: Newest Curtis
 controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla controller?)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Truncated EVDL messages in the Archive
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Brake drag
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: cartoon
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: No "Juiced Up" at PODC
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Brake drag
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: cartoon
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: No "Juiced Up" at PODC
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV digest 6717
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re:  corvette conversion
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Controller experiences
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "Miller, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Controller experiences
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Controller experiences
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: corvette conversion
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Controller experiences
From: Bob Bath
> I'm getting a similar issue, but rather it is a _severe_ drop in
> voltage.  Ie, it goes down to 90V from a 144V pack, even when I
> accelerate slowly.

You have to make some measurements to be able to figure out what is going on.

What current makes the pack sag to 90v? Freshly off charge, it should take a
huge current do to this (several times the amphour capacity of the batteries
(say, 500 amps from a 100 amphour battery).

> Would brush issues account for _that?_

The motor is irrelevant if the batteries themselves sag badly. If you are
getting serious sag at the batteries (and their current really is hundreds of
amps) *and* the motor still accelerates poorly, then there might be some issue
with the motor, controller or their associated wiring. However, this would mean
a heck of a lot of power is being drawn from the batteries and not getting
converted into mechanical horsepower. That lost power will show up somewhere as
HEAT! Something will be getting very, very, hot!

> The only other thing I can figure is that I still
> need to drop the Imax on this new controller.  E-meter
> says I'm pulling up to 320A out of them, and perhaps
> this is causing temporary drop in useable electrolyte?

The E-meter measures battery voltage and current, so it can tell you how much
power the batteries are delivering. Volts x amps is Watts; and Wattx / 1000 is
roughly the horsepower the motor will be producing. Does the car accelerate
like you'd expect with this amount of horseower? 90v x 320a = 28,800 watts =
28.8 horsepower. That's pretty  anemic for accellerating a 3000 lbs car.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard

From: robert mat
> How can silicon caulk be used to seal the Curtis controller then?

I noticed that the end cover on my own Curtis 1231C was loose (could push on
it, and it wiggled). I wound up pulling it off with a suction cup. I threw a
little bag of silicone gel inside the case (the kind that comes in the box with
various bits of electronics and says "do not eat" :-) and glued the cover back
on with silicone rubber. That was a few years ago, and so far, it still works.

I've opened a number of Curtis controllers for repair, and have noticed
evidence of water inside many of them. There are rusty screw heads, and residue
marks on the PC boards and case where water obviously was there and dried. In
some cases, the water shorts traces along the bottom edge of the contro board,
and it dies!

> BTW, I'm thinking of also using small CPU fans around
> the controller -- that trick has saved my Ego-II motor
> from continual bolt pop offs.

Anything helps. My controller is mounted to a large flat aluminum plate, and
has a plastic "tunnel" over it. A 4.7" 12v muffin fan blows air through this
tunnel, and so over the fins on the case and the aluminum base plate. It keeps
it cool in my small low-powered EV.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

    David> Hang on, Mailman is coming to your nearby SJSU server Real Soon
    David> Now (tm), and it seems to handle html mail much more rationally.

Got that right!  If you need any help, let me know.  I help administer a
number of Mailman-based lists on mail.python.org.

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff in the sixties,

From: Jude Anthony
> I'm not exactly happy with the free rotation of the rotor without
> calipers... I'm considering replacing the entire spindle (since
> the bearings are sealed in, and there's no maintenance procedure
> in any of the manuals)

The old open adjustable wheel bearings required occasional greasing, but
certainly had lower rolling resistance. The new "sealed for life" ones often
seem to have a tremendous amount of drag.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

> Just thought you might chuckle at this.
> http://comics.com/wash/bonanas/archive/bonanas-20070428.html

Thanks for my laugh of the day. It reminds me of one I saw with the couple
driving their nice new car up the entrance ramp to a freeway at rush hour. The
freeway is jammed solid with cars... and they are all carnival bumper cars. The
drivers are slam-banging their way along, shoving each other aside, waving
insults, etc.

But, I have to wonder... what would it be like to build electrified roads like
this, with overhead wires and electric cars without batteries? It might work!

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Jeff,

The part # on the Prestolite shipping memo from Nov 2000 says EO34080
The motor tag is blank. It has a bunch of temp sensors coming out of it. At the time they shipped it to me Prestolite rated it at 10HP and 48 volts. It had no bearing boss at the output and had a large spline. I machined the arm for a keyed shaft and machined a new end plate and added a pressed in bearing. It is a great motor but is much heavier than even the old GE 12" units I used to have in OJ and was too big for my industrial drive application I needed it for at the time.

Thanks for the help.

Shawn

From: Jeff Shanab
> I wonder if... money could be saved by "rolling our own"...
> carbon brushes across brass bars...  connected to the pack in
> various configurations...

Folks who are interested in this need only look at older controllers. Contactor
controllers were perfected long ago, and all you need to do is learn from them
what worked and what didn't.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

  First, this was a description of the worst case I face,  I don't
necessarily expect to be able to make that trip with current
(affordable) battery technology.  The expected goal is to commute
between my home and "the little town" 5 miles down the road.  That
will be +-800 ft. with steep grades.  But my thinking is that I
would arrive in "the big city" with a full tank, and keep it somewhat
full in the stop-go driving I do while there.  There are also a
bucketfull of trips one can make around here where you do go uphill for
the first half, then cruise back home downhill.  Hiking, flyfishing, or
just cruising with the top off!

> If I understand this correctly, you go Down hill when the pack is
> full and
> climb up hill when it's low?
>
> If that's the case, then Regen is just about useless.  Your pack will
> be
> full when going downhill, so you won't be able to use regen, except
> maybe
> a tiny bit.
>
> Regen doesn't do anything for you going up hill.
>
> So if this is the case, then I wouldn't waste any money on regen
> unless
> you get it in a motor/controller that you are buying for some other
> reason
> anyway.  I.e. get it if it's free, but don't spend money buying
> something
> you can't use.
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > 3000+ foot climb in 17 miles to commute (back from) "the big city".

> that
> >> statement
> >> >

> >> What do you define as mountains?

I purposely(?) bought a "base model" vette to keep weight down.
Meaning it has lighweight cloth seats (as oppossed to the monster
leather/motorized seats usually found).  It has manual mirrors, etc.
The automatic trans will be replaced with a 5speed manual (aluminum)
along with centerforce aluminum flywheel.  The AC will go, the steering
will be converted to manual. The wheels/tires will eventually
be changed to something skinny.

> I think you definintely need regen in this situation.
> You also need to reduce your weight as much as possible as well, or
> hauling UP a big battery pack is going to be very stressful.
> 17 miles and up 3,000 feet is going to take a lot of energy.
> If lithium is out of the budget, I think you really need to consider
> using NiMH, or maybe the BB600 NiCad at least, with the BB600's you
> can
> overcharge them on regen without much consequence, but someone tell
> me
> where you can actually buy BB600 cells?

Don't know how much, but you need SOME power.  Going down the canyon
you need to achieve 50mph in the straight sections, or you have a
bunch of idiots passing you in a double yellow situation.  Then you
come to a sharp corner and have to reduce speed 10-20mph, straight -
speedup, etc.

> Going downhill, you essentially don't need ANY battery power really,
> it'll coast all the way down.  So you really only need to focus on
> being
> able to make the return trip UP.  And that means reducing weight as
> much
> as possible and having a motor and controller that won't overheat.

---
Steve

Roland,

Thanks for pointing me to that website. It answered a whole slew of other questions I had about my EV.

Obviously I'm not understanding something about the Zilla though. I do not understand how you can have different amperages at the motor and the battery. I've heard it mentioned several times in the past but I don't understand how the Zilla does this and I wouldn't know what to program it for.

If I understand you correctly, the Zilla would somehow give me superior acceleration and top speed without harming the batteries or the motor, and that the Curtis controllers just pull from the batteries without limit or regard to safety because it's not programmed to my individual application.

Rich

From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Controller experiences
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 07:34:25 -0600

Hello Richard,

The Zilla is a boost type of controller.  Your battery ampere will be less
than you motor ampere.  Lets say your motor is rated at 200 amps continuous
duty and you held that ampere, the battery ampere will be about 50 amps.
This depends on the voltage of your batteries and the overall gear ratio you
have.

I am running a 180 v pack using 30 T-145's in a 7000 lb EV.  In 1st gear I
have a 19.5:1 overall ratio and if I accelerated like a normal ICE, the
maximum ampere goes to about 300 amps and my battery amperes is at 75 amps.

After acceleration to about 35 mph the motor ampere comes back to about 150
motor amps and the battery amps is about 40 amps shifting in to 2nd gear
which is now 13.5:1 overall ratio.

Slowing accelerating to 50 mph, my motor ampere may peak to 400 amps and
battery amps at 250 amps which is for about 10 seconds.  After accelerating
and shifting to 3rd gear which is a 5.57:1 overall ratio, the motor ampere
is now at 195 amps and battery amperes is 175 amps.

With the Zilla, I limit my battery ampere to 400 amps and motor ampere to
600 amps.  I have never got above 250 battery amps and 500 motor amperes
which was for a very short time which is less than 10 seconds.

Otmar of Café Electric was scare that I would burn out a Zilla 1K in my 7000
lb EV.  I said, I have the gear ratios, to keep the amperes at a level I
want.  I been driving with a CableForm controller for about 12 years in a
8000 lb EV with granney gear ratios that I can accelerated up to 60 mph at
about 600 motor amperes and cruising at 60 mph at 180 motor and battery
amps.

Type in your data in Uve's Electric Vehicle Calculator at
http://www.geocities.com/hempev/EVCalculator.html?200629

This site lists the Zilla controller and the type of vehicle you are
driving.

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglineapril07
Folks who are interested in this need only look at older controllers. Contactor controllers were perfected long ago, and all you need to do is learn from them what worked and what didn't.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. -- Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Ahhh, the circle is now complete, as the original post that started this thread was not seeking to do something new, rather looking for sources for pictures, diagrams, schematics etc of how to implement the old... which is of course what Lee is suggesting. I guess the problem is that there is not a ready source of information on these older controllers.

I'll wander a bit off topic here, but this type of thing reminds me of the punch line of an old Gallager joke. It went something like this... So you head down to your local McDonalds and fill out a job application and don't get hired, now what do you do?

I'm afraid that this is going to be one of the side effects of our new Google mentality. So we google "contact controllers" and can't find any good schematics or diagrams, now where do we go? There was a time when people had to work very hard to research a subject, and in doing so they gained a unique skill set. Now we expect to have all the answers right at our finger tips due to the internet, and when it is not there, we may not have the skills to go find the answers elsewhere, or even worse, alternative sources may start to become obsolete and disappear.

damon

Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888
John,

I am assuming that your batteries are in the front of the bed of your
pick up which would put them in front of the rear wheels. If this is so
then your weight distribution is already partially supported by your
front wheels so keeping them on the ground should just be a matter of
finding a good front/rear suspension combination. Yes for optimal
handling you would want to more evenly distribute the batteries but you
would still be looking at beefing up the suspension. Remember your
driving a pickup truck not a formula one race car. Keeping the batteries
together in the back does have its benefits. I would suggest adding
spring and heavy duty shocks to both the front and rear and maybe a lift
kit in the back and see what you get before you give up your idea of
keeping the batteries altogether in the back. Just my $.02 worth.

John Miller

From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:52:36 -0400 (EDT)

From: Jeff Shanab
> I wonder if... money could be saved by "rolling our own"...
> carbon brushes across brass bars...  connected to the pack in
> various configurations...

Folks who are interested in this need only look at older controllers. Contactor controllers were perfected long ago, and all you need to do is learn from them what worked and what didn't.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. -- Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/
Hi Richard,

These PWM motor controllers are buck converters.
Meaning that they reduce the voltage from the source
(battery) to the load (motor).  The motor speed is
proportional to voltage.  In reducing the voltage,
input to output, the current is increased, input to
output.  Similar to how a transformer works.  So when
you have a motor voltage lower than the battery
voltage, the motor current will be higher than the
battery current.  This is called current
multiplication, and happens with the Curtis and all
PWM controllers of this type which use a freewheeling
diode.

Jeff

--- Richard Acuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> want.  I been driving with a CableForm controller
> for about 12 years in a
> 8000 lb EV with granney gear ratios that I can
> accelerated up to 60 mph at
> about 600 motor amperes and cruising at 60 mph at
> 180 motor and battery
> amps.
>
> Type in your data in Uve's Electric Vehicle
> Calculator at

http://www.geocities.com/hempev/EVCalculator.html?200629

> This site lists the Zilla controller and the type of
> vehicle you are
> driving.
>
> Roland

> Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.

The Zilla is a boost type of controller.  Your battery ampere will be less
than you motor ampere.  Lets say your motor is rated at 200 amps continuous
duty and you held that ampere, the battery ampere will be about 50 amps.

This is a bit of a nit-pick but strictly speaking this is known as 'buck'
operation - the input voltage is higher than the load voltage.
'Boost' is used when regenerating on a PM or BLDC motor - when the
motor voltage is lower than the battery voltage.

Since the controller's input voltage is higher than the output voltage,
the input current must be lower than the output current. That's the
nature of PWM power supply circuits - not just motor controllers.
Your DC-DC converter follows the same rule. So does your PC power supply.

-Dale

On 4/30/07, Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think you definintely need regen in this situation.
You also need to reduce your weight as much as possible as well, or
hauling UP a big battery pack is going to be very stressful.
17 miles and up 3,000 feet is going to take a lot of energy.
If lithium is out of the budget, I think you really need to consider
using NiMH, or maybe the BB600 NiCad at least, with the BB600's you can
overcharge them on regen without much consequence, but someone tell me
where you can actually buy BB600 cells?
<snip>

http://www.moltech.com/

I got a price quote from these fine folks for flooded NiCD prismatic cells,

"A typical long rate ni-cad 220ah 1.2V cell will cost around $210-256 per
cell."

Thats pretty pricey, but its a heck of a lot cheaper than the
ridiculous price of $245 for a BB600 equivalent from MarathonNorco.

They are not familiar with EV applications.. mostly they supply to
telcos and industry for backup power and etc, however their cell
selection looks to be good, and the high discharge cells look to be
good for EV applications.

Their online catalog is out of date by the way... here is the catalog
he sent me:

http://www.grittyrobot.com/NiCad.pdf

Hello Richard,

You can program the Zilla for volt and ampere limits for both the motor and
battery.  My motor has a 199 amp continuous duty, but can draw higher than
that for a short time which I set for 600 amps.  I have to watch that very
closely during acceleration.

The Zilla has a Amp on Tach mode that can be use.  This reads the motor amp
from a built in shunt. A speed sensor is used off the motor which is use to
limited the rpm you input.

I use my large Stewart Tach as a motor amp meter which is next to the speedo
and another small digital tach that I got from Surplus Sales of Nebraska -
www.surplussales.com - They are about $20.00 and they told me they have
about 5000 in stock.

These are a counter-tach combination.  Just insert one 1/4 inch diameter
neomagnet you can get from ACE Hardward on any motor rotating part.  I drill
a 1/4 hole in my pilot shaft coupler and press it in using some JB Weld.

I use one of those 1/4 inch diameter magnet sensor switch that is use for
door or window alarm systems.  I got my from www.allelectronics.com.  I
install this sensor switch on a aluminum flat bar which I bent a offset on
it for attaching to the face of the motor.

In the counter mode, it will count once per one rpm.  If your motor is
turning 60 times in one minute, then by just flipping a switch from counter
to tach, it will read 60 rpm.