        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: ADC 8" red line...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: ADC 8" red line...
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: HARD TIME ON CURTIS WARRANTY CLAIM?   (WAS Re: Newest Curtis
controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla controller?)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EVLN(Clunn's 9th annual EV Rally @ Okeechobee auto-parts store)
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hey Damon,

You could try a library.  They keep books for
centuries.  Or a patent search.

Jeff

--- damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Snip<
>I'm afraid that this is going to be one of the side
> effects of our new
> Google mentality.  So we google "contact
> controllers" and can't find any
> good schematics or diagrams, now where do we go?
> There was a time when
> people had to work very hard to research a subject,
> and in doing so they
> gained a unique skill set.  Now we expect to have
> all the answers right at
> our finger tips due to the internet, and when it is
> not there, we may not
> have the skills to go find the answers elsewhere, or
> even worse, alternative
> sources may start to become obsolete and disappear.
>
> damon

If your alternator is the older 3 wire type, using a small connector that
plugs into the alternator, the small wire, which is about a No. 18 or 16
wire, is the regulator wire that comes from the ignition key circuit.

When the ignition key is in the start position, this shuts off this circuit,
so the alternator is not on at the same time the starter motor is turning
otherwise the alternator may be overloaded.

Just regulator circuit off and the alternator will put 0 amps output.  If it’s
a one wire alternator, then Lee's method works good.

From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:38:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Damon,

You could try a library.  They keep books for
centuries.  Or a patent search.

Jeff

--- damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Snip<
>I'm afraid that this is going to be one of the side
> effects of our new
> Google mentality.  So we google "contact
> controllers" and can't find any
> good schematics or diagrams, now where do we go?
> There was a time when
> people had to work very hard to research a subject,
> and in doing so they
> gained a unique skill set.  Now we expect to have
> all the answers right at
> our finger tips due to the internet, and when it is
> not there, we may not
> have the skills to go find the answers elsewhere, or
> even worse, alternative
> sources may start to become obsolete and disappear.
>
> damon

Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/
I think drawing some circuits and building the in low-power versions
would be a good way to experiment and re-learn electromechanical
concepts. Before I got a controller for my go-cart, I was thinking
about ways to make a contactor controller without buying contactors,
which as it has been mentioned, are quite expensive if purchased new.
The sliding contact idea is a good one. I had also been thinking about
a cylindrical device consisting of a stack of copper and nylon disks.
The copper disks could make or break circuits. Turning the drum could
create a sequential increase with many steps (12v w/resistor, 12v, 12v
FW, 24v, ...)
There's also the "music box" idea - a drum with cam "bumps" that lift
fingers here and there - making and breaking circuits. In any case,
some consideration would have to be done to determine contact wear /
life and magnetic blowouts.. etc.
Unfortunately, silicon is my first love for power devices. I just
don't have time for everything.
--
Martin K

On 5/1/07, damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Folks who are interested in this need only look at older controllers.
>Contactor controllers were perfected long ago, and all you need to do is
>learn from them what worked and what didn't.
>
>--
>I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into
>momentum. -- Frances Willard
>--
>Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Ahhh, the circle is now complete, as the original post that started this
thread was not seeking to do something new, rather looking for sources for
pictures, diagrams, schematics etc of how to implement the old...  which is
of course what Lee is suggesting.  I guess the problem is that there is not
a ready source of information on these older controllers.

I'll wander a bit off topic here, but this type of thing reminds me of the
punch line of an old Gallager joke.   It went something like this...  So you
head down to your local McDonalds and fill out a job application and don't
get hired, now what do you do?

I'm afraid that this is going to be one of the side effects of our new
Google mentality.  So we google "contact controllers" and can't find any
good schematics or diagrams, now where do we go?  There was a time when
people had to work very hard to research a subject, and in doing so they
gained a unique skill set.  Now we expect to have all the answers right at
our finger tips due to the internet, and when it is not there, we may not
have the skills to go find the answers elsewhere, or even worse, alternative
sources may start to become obsolete and disappear.

damon

Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS!  $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate
new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888

--
Martin Klingensmith

robert mat wrote:

> Hi Roger, just a slight correction: The 132V voltage
> at the time of the controller failure was an ACTUAL
> multimeter reading, and the pack is a 120V nominal
> pack.

I believe you that this is what the multimeter said (though you first
said 135V, not 132V), but the rest of it doesn't add up.

I have a 120V pack of AGMs, and they will rest at 131-132V fresh off of
charge, but it does not take very much driving at all before they rest
just below 130V, typically about 128V.  I would have to read it on my
own voltmeter before I would accept that you have a 120V nominal pack
and it was still sitting at 132-135V after you "drove to another two
errands" and had the controller fail "after moving an inch in reverse,
after a hour-long park, with no charging involved."  I'm not saying it
is impossible, just that you'd have to have a set of very unusually
behaving batteries or perhaps your meter is lying to you.

> No fireworks, though, as the aptly-named Sparky EV's
> Fourth-of-July-like Curtis controller burn out. He was
> also using a third-gear "automatic" transmission.
> Apparently, the ammeter cannot be trusted on
> EV's -- have you read his post?

Can you post a link to the post you are referring to?  Googling "Sparky
EV" turns up a number of hits, including an Ottawa (Kanata) Ford pickup
conversion that switched to a Raptor 600 after the 1231 died, but there
are no details there about the failure (and it is running a Ford 5-speed
tranny).

> A clamp ammeter saw
> 900A, if my memory of the Sparky EV post is correct,
> whereas the dashboard ammeter shows low amps.
>
> I'm planning to use a clamp ammeter to see how
> inaccurate the dashboard ammeter is, at low speeds.

Common clamp on ammeters are notoriously inaccurate (no doubt in part
because good ones that read DC as well as AC current are not
inexpensive).  Perhaps the Sparky EV poster did not understand that
battery current will always be less than or equal to motor current with
a functioning motor controller and was comparing a clamp on reading of
the motor loop current to the dashboard battery current meter reading?

Google Patent search reveals many early mechanical contact controller
designs, both for on-road vehicles and on-track vehicles.  If someone needs
more specific implementations for series, shunt, sep-ex, field-weakening,
dynamic braking, etc., there are other sources which have documented the
wiring diagrams of Detroit Electric (aka Anderson Electric), Rauch&Lang,
Milburn and other electric vehicles.  These implementations ranged from the
very simple to quite complex.  As I've mentioned before, my 1921 Milburn has
a 12-pole,8-throw mechanical contact drum controller to effect 4 speeds
forward, neutral, dynamic brake, plus 2 speeds reverse.  It actually has
about 6 other intermediate 'throws' between speeds to make or brake some of
these circuits asynchronously with each other to minimize sparking by
handling inductive energy in an appropriate manner----this is particularly
the case between speeds 2 and 3, where the pack is reconfigured from half-
to full-pack.  In that transition there are at least 5 intermediate contact
states that are passed thru between those 2 speed detents.

I have some of the 1908-1922 era Detroit, Milburn and Rauch&Lang wiring
diagrams should someone seriously want to pursue a drum contact controller.

Point of note: I currently do not plan to make a drum contact controller for
my 1911 Hupp-Yeats, but instead use an Alltrax 72v or perhaps a 4QD
controller.  Cost doesn't have much to do with it, but rather that I do not
have an original wiring diagram for this car showing how the switching was
done, nor what the resistance values were that were switched in.  However,
if I did want this authenticity, there are 1 or 2 of these vehicles out
there I could try to copy in that respect.  I may plan to accommodate an
original controller in the future as a replacement.

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.
1911 Hupp-Yeats Electric http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1018

You could try a library.  They keep books for
centuries.  Or a patent search.

Jeff

--- damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Snip<
>I'm afraid that this is going to be one of the side
> effects of our new
> Google mentality.  So we google "contact
> controllers" and can't find any
> good schematics or diagrams, now where do we go?
> There was a time when
> people had to work very hard to research a subject,
> and in doing so they
> gained a unique skill set.  Now we expect to have
> all the answers right at
> our finger tips due to the internet, and when it is
> not there, we may not
> have the skills to go find the answers elsewhere, or
> even worse, alternative
> sources may start to become obsolete and disappear.
>
> damon

Good point Damon---and at the risk of continuing to drift off-topic:
Our local Multnomah County Library is fantastic and has a great catalog.
Yet, more and more of its older references have migrated beyond the
accessible walls, initially moving to the stacks (a simple 5-min
request/wait) but now many of the materials have moved to "storage".
Trying to request items from storage is a pain.  Online requests can fall
thru the floor and get ignored.  Personal requests, which go online also
have failed.  The phone requests worked, but still resulted in a 2-4 day
wait to get old Automobile and Motor Age annual digests out of storage to
review.  It used to be you could do inter-library requests.  I'd guess that
this might cost money these days, I don't know.

And now I'm drifting more on the EV topic here....I did have great luck
gathering early EV literature specific to my Hupp-Yeats EV by contacting the
Philadelphia Free Library---clear across the states!  Not only that, but I
simply emailed their help desk researcher there who would get back to me in
a few days and email me scanned copies of all the literature she could find
on the near-century old EV topic I was pursuing.  And the best thing: it was
all 100% FREE.  Now there's a library to send money to.

Also on my early EV research, I found it interesting that in hitting up all
the major automobile archives in the country for literature on my
Hupp-Yeats, there was little overlap in information stored in each archive.
All the libraries were helpful and all cost something for the information.
But it blew me away that there was so little duplicate information in all
these separate libraries.  Good for me, but bad for these archives as having
anything close to a complete compendium on the Hupp-Yeats Electric Cars.

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

I love libraries.  I'm even willing to pay for them.  I always vote yes when

any kind of library funding comes up.  However, people may be less and less
willing to do this over time.  One of my sons is in an accelerated 5th grade

class this year with an awesome teacher.  She piles the work on and somehow
keeps a room full of very smart kids totally engaged in education by
teaching them at the level that they are able to learn, rather than what a
typical 5th grade class would be doing, but they do not use the school
library.  They do all their reasearch using the internet.  My son has
researched many subjects this year, and the only time I have seen him use a
hardcopy book was when I handed him a motor control control book I have so
he could copy some diagrams to go with his science project (beakman's
motor).

damon

>From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>Subject: Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
>Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:38:15 -0700 (PDT)
>

>Hey Damon,
>
>You could try a library.  They keep books for
>centuries.  Or a patent search.
>
>Jeff
>

>--- damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Snip<
> >I'm afraid that this is going to be one of the side
> > effects of our new
> > Google mentality.  So we google "contact
> > controllers" and can't find any
> > good schematics or diagrams, now where do we go?
> > There was a time when
> > people had to work very hard to research a subject,
> > and in doing so they
> > gained a unique skill set.  Now we expect to have
> > all the answers right at
> > our finger tips due to the internet, and when it is
> > not there, we may not
> > have the skills to go find the answers elsewhere, or
> > even worse, alternative
> > sources may start to become obsolete and disappear.
> >
> > damon

>http://mail.yahoo.com

Hi all
Bruce sniffed out a news paper story on my 9th rally which after reading and
seeing some of the miss info that seems to alway happen with new paper storys I
though I'd better write somthing. One desmel place on cost  , so readers are
left thinking 425,000 for an electric sports car , nothing said about the plane
ev's for 10 to 15k ,, "Light trunout" ? . More cars there than last year , any
more and we wouldn't have parking for them,,,  No pictures of electric motors
or anything , just my licance plate which the last  letters are 2dc ,,, it came
that way ,    My show is very very small compared to BBB  . Like most things
when you do one you end up with a lot of respect for those who do one better  .
I couldn't relly handle any bigger event that what we had , and  I have a few
people doing lots of the work . We did have a " Gen On the Wheel " , I didn't
get to talk to him , but he did seem to have alot of engery. :-)  . I took some
pictures and will get them into the computer !
 next week , got to somhow get all the stuff done that I haven't been doing the
late week .
Shawn is the master of putting on EV ents  I must say .
Steve Clunn

> [...]
> at an auto-parts store.
>
> Tom and Yvette Sines of Okeechobee built their fourth homemade
> electric car from the body of a 1988 Lamborghini.
>
> "This started for us 30 years ago, during the long gas lines of
> the 1970s," Tom Sines said. "If somebody doesn't do something,
> it's never going to get done. We're going over there (to the
> Middle East) shooting people to get oil."
>
> The cars on display at the Advance Auto Parts on Okeechobee Road
> ranged from the luxurious, such as the Sines' sports car and two
> Porsches, to a beat-up Toyota Corolla.
>
> All were converted by their owners to be plugged into outlets and
> run without gasoline.
>
> Steve Clunn, a member of the Grassroots Electric Vehicles group
> based in Florida and Nevada, started organizing the rallies
> nearly a decade ago, saying he became motivated by the first Gulf
> War, in the early 1990s.
>
> "I did it for patriotic reasons, to try to help my country reduce
> its dependency on foreign oil," Clunn said. "Every gallon I don't
> burn is one less gallon burdening the taxpayers."
>
> Not all of the owners who brought out their electric cars were
> strictly enthusiasts.
>
> Paul Liddle of World Class Exotics in West Palm Beach makes his
> living converting luxury cars, from Porsches to Rolls-Royces, to
> run on electricity. The conversions can cost as much as $425,000,
> he said.
>
> Liddle said his Porsche 912 has more power at lower speeds than
> it did when it ran on gas, but loses power as it reaches higher
> speeds.
>
> It also can run only about 30 to 40 miles before needing to be
> recharged.
>
> Sines said the short range of electric cars prevents greater
> demand.
>
> He made his Lamborghini as light as possible to provide more
> space for batteries so it could go farther.
>
> He also gave it big tires so it could drive through the swampland
> around Okeechobee.
>
> "This thing will walk over a swamp like it isn't even there,"
> Sines said.
>
> Turnout at the event was light, but several of those who showed
> up said what they saw was enough to make them want to buy an
> electric car.
>
> "I will probably buy one within the next two years," said Allan
> Miller, a computer business owner from Miami who said he decided
> to buy an electric car after watching an environmental movie last
> week, and came to the rally to explore them.
>
> Miller said he also is talking to some of the car owners at the
> rally about trying to get an outdoor electric outlet installed at
> his church on Key Biscayne.
>
> Until there are more places to charge their cars, Miller said,
> few people will follow his lead and buy them.
>
> Miller said: "No one will buy a car that will leave them
> stranded."
>
> Copyright © 2007, The Palm Beach Post. All rights reserved.

There are, but I don't think those which are being broadcasted
(received by Prius nav system and such) have this data - ICE cars can'treally take advantage of it. I may be wrong though.

Victor

Brian Fox wrote:
There are gps routing packages that include altitude in their
database.  I have an old copy of Delorme's Topo program that will
route and provide an altitude profile along with max gradient info.
Routing programs that target RVs might be a good starting point
because some RVs try to avoid steep hills.

Brian

(Hit me if I sound too stupid, I know squat about electronics).

An alternator puts out AC right?
The regulator converts it to DC with those magical zeners and genies and whatnot.
I don't have an alternator to play with, nor do I have an oscope (its all moot).
Whats the unregulated output of the alternator?
What about those whomping 230 amp alternators? Whats their unregulated output?

Would it be possible to rectify that, smooth it with a couple of caps, and recharge a portion of a battery pack?

I know, this would result in an uneven pack....

Suppose you could have this "cheap regen" flip around to charge different portions of the pack at different times, using some rube-goldberg relay-setup?

Or, would it be better to step up the AC to 150 (or whatever you are using) - *then* convert it to DC, and have it charge the whole pack?

I remember I had an old 74 Chevy impala (more steel than any 3 cars these days).
The alternator belt was loose (I later tightened it) - it would charge the battery fine, if it wasn't too low.
If the battery was really low, the belt would squeal, as the alternator tried to charge the battery (the lower the "pack" at that time, the harder the alternator would work to bring it back up).

This has to be a function of the regulator...right? That behavior could be changed by altering the regulator -
change the regulator so that the alternator only gave out so many amps no matter what, rather than trying to vary/regulate its charge each time... get rid of the zener diodes...

There's no way that an alternator could recharge the pack (unless you're going 17 miles downhill....corvette conversion) - so overcharging shouldn't be an issue...

Couldn't we use an alternator (or 2), stepped up, to provide a little juice back to the pack during braking? (have this whole thing turned on by a brake-pedal switch).

Have a gas-pedal switch turn on 1 alternator when it is released, and the brake pedal turn on another, if its depressed a little....
I know this is Rube-Goldberg...but I thought I'd ask anyway.

http://www.reference.com/search?r=13&q=Rube%20goldberg

Ed Cooley

I always heard that the transistors were there to protect the fuses in the circuit....
I've also heard that transistors "were the fastest acting fuse known to mankind"....

So - now you know what I know about electronics....

"Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

05/01/2007 13:40

Please respond to
ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

<ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
cc
Subject
Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator

If your alternator is the older 3 wire type, using a small connector that
plugs into the alternator, the small wire, which is about a No. 18 or 16
wire, is the regulator wire that comes from the ignition key circuit.

When the ignition key is in the start position, this shuts off this circuit,
so the alternator is not on at the same time the starter motor is turning
otherwise the alternator may be overloaded.

Just regulator circuit off and the alternator will put 0 amps output.  If it’s
a one wire alternator, then Lee's method works good.

> > Since regulaters went internal, is there a way to do that without
> > opening the output with a high current relay, and any idea what
> > happens to an alternator if you open the output?  Maybe an older
> > alternator with an external regulator, would be a better bet.
>
> I'm sure there are experts on this that can respond in detail.
>
> But in general, you could just use a relay to open the alternator's output
> to your 12v accessory battery. Put a big resistor across this relay's
> contact.
>
> When the relay is off, the charging current is low, and limited by this
> resistor to a few amps. This provides enough to keep the alternator happy
> and ready, but will let the accessory battery slowly run down.
>
> When you step on the brake pedal, the tail light switch also turns on this
> relay. Since the accessory battery will have run down a little bit, the
> alternator will deliver a huge current, just as it does immediately after
> starting an ICE, to bring the battery back up. This will provide your
> regenerative braking.
>
> --
> I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into
> momentum. -- Frances Willard
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Hey everyone,
I am the original poster. I seriously want to do a contactor controller,
drum controller, disk controller, or any other type controller that will
get the job done. At the moment, I have more time than money, and since
this is my first project I want the experience, not just plugging wires
into a magic box. I have the resources and the ability to make one. I
just need info. As someone pointed out, contactor controllers basically
googled them all day and no success. Actually, most of the results are
just EV List Archives posted by me. The library is an excellent idea.
Ill go today, but in the event that I don't find much, does anyone have
any diagrams or pictures. Maybe I've killed this topic but I just need a
push start.
Thanks again,
Paul